Thread: Playing with recorded music

User Info Menu

Default Playing with recorded music

I've been trying to play along with CDs but lose much of the low end on my Vic Firth headphones so its hard to follow along. They are great for blocking out noise but...

What are you using for practice headphones or are you just playing along with a loud stereo and making the neighbors crazy?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Playing with recorded music

I use my cd player and Ipod through a mixer into a Carvin DCM200 power amp into 2 15" floor monitors. I also wear ear plugs. Not much for neighbors, and the dog hangs out in the yard.

User Info Menu

I use an ipod into the aux in on my eletcronic set, I can set the level of the drums and the level of the ipod seperately, its brill. I wear headphones My neighbours and my family love it.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Have you tried setting the EQ of whatever you're using to play the music through? That might help a little.
    I usually just practice away from the kit, just as practice. I only take stuff I really want to be able to play onto the kit and work it out, the rest is just me practicing and working stuff out.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJWVista View Post
    I've been trying to play along with CDs but lose much of the low end on my Vic Firth headphones so its hard to follow along. They are great for blocking out noise but...

What are you using for practice headphones or are you just playing along with a loud stereo and making the neighbors crazy?

iv killed many sets of headphone's and hi-fi setups in my past ...

i currently use Shenhizer dh555's headphones and a dj mixer for more channel gain and more bottom end

and when i want to drive the neighbors mad two 15" subs helps and a pair of studio monitors they go loud

iv been looking into in ear monitors lately they look like the go, good ear protection also....

User Info Menu

i've got the vf's isolation headphones which just go over my ipod earphones.

User Info Menu

i play thru the roland module and it sounds absolutely killer

User Info Menu

I use vic firth head phones man. I was so dissapointed when i found out how much they blocked out, and esspcially when i truely got into drummin again a couple weeks ago after a summer, my timing was weaker, and id be a beat or 2 off and id notice a couple seconds later and i could even hear my drums. But.. beleive it or not, this makes it a whole lot better, find JUST the right spot to put them on your ears half way and put the music volume up a bit to coorolate it with the new volume of the drums, then drumming to cds is fun again.

User Info Menu

I use my Ipod and Cheappo DJ Headset....But the headset is perfectly isolated....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

I've got a small home studio set up.
    The drums are mic'd. I mix a CD player with the drums through the main board and out through a headphone amp. Right now I'm using medium priced Radio Shack isolating headphones that work pretty well!

User Info Menu

I Use My Ipod Earphones And Put My Gun Range Ear Protecters Over Them & Its Perfect!
    Mapex Mafia

User Info Menu

i count 5 ipod drummers and 4 cd players the rest are just computer/random mp3 players

there has to be some one out there that still uses Sony cassette Walkman ...lol

User Info Menu

Thanks for the feedback. I asked the same question at Guitar Center and all the drummers there just play to cranked up stereos.

User Info Menu

When I had my electrics, it was all head phone driven.

Now that I only have acoustic drums, I crank the PA and play all my material from my laptop out to the PA.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

The reason you are losing the low end in your Vic Firth headphones is because they do not have a driver (bass booster). You could go with the extreme isolation brand headphones that do have a bass booster but will run you about double the price. I tested both the extremes and the vic firth's and chose the extremes for the fact that I would be listening to music as well as a click track and sound quality was more of an issue with me. Both brands have the same or very simular dB rating however. Or you can do what others have done and purchase a decent set of headphones and wear your iso's over them. In your case, this would be the cheapest way out!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the feedback. I asked the same question at Guitar Center and all the drummers there just play to cranked up stereos.
    I don't even know where to start with this. I don't believe this for a second. Unless they are playing with brushes!

User Info Menu

Jazzy - I believe them. I have 2 NAD/Parasound/Paradigm systems in my house that are plenty loud enough to play with, especially with subs. The problem is that I don't want to bug the neighbors. Some people may have more room around their homes.

User Info Menu

I use my mp3 players earbuds and a pair of chainsaw muffs from WalMart

User Info Menu

Jazzy - I believe them. I have 2 NAD/Parasound/Paradigm systems in my house that are plenty loud enough to play with, especially with subs. The problem is that I don't want to bug the neighbors. Some people may have more room around their homes.
    It is not the lack of a good sound system nor the lack of room in a persons house that I do not believe. I don't believe that all the guys that work there blast their music and drum along. It just doesn't seem like a practical way to practice. Trying to balance the level of your music to the level of your playing....I'm suprised they didn't try to sell you a set of iso phones. They apperantly don't want to make any money and save their customers hearing! LOL. :D

User Info Menu

I use my Zune with ear buds and put on a set of shooting headphones to block out the sound of my drums. WORKS GREAT.

User Info Menu

I play music either through my laptop or my ipod and listen to it with Sony MDR-XD200 headphones. I use flick sticks as well so i can hear my drums and the music without one of them drowning the other out or without me turning music up so loud I can't hear anything afterwards.
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vigfive View Post
    I use my Zune with ear buds and put on a set of shooting headphones to block out the sound of my drums. WORKS GREAT.
    Zune is an mp3 player? sorry..kinda technologically challenged.. -Les

Larrysperf Guest

I have a set of roland and JBL head phones and use Ipod or sterio with equalizer to best hear what I want . Nuff Said

User Info Menu

Just like ratty does with the e-kit, I patch the iPod through the head unit into head phones and it's brilliant!I can adjust the drum-to-song ratio as I want it. With the acoustic kit, my iPod at full tilt gets lost in relation to the volume of the kit. I have a set of Panasonic headphones.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....