Thread: Anybody know about Grand Master Cymbals?

User Info Menu

Default Anybody know about Grand Master Cymbals?

howdy folks,

Just wondering if anybody knows what they're worth. I came across a 22" really heavy "Desert Glow" ride.
    I've heard all kinds of crazy stuff about how they were supposedly made with bacteria and gold bars and how the Grand Master died shortly after starting the company. But, nobody seems to know what it's worth. It sounds awesome. I just don't know if it's my style or sound.

thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Anybody know about Grand Master Cymbals?

Quote Originally Posted by comradesputnik View Post
    howdy folks,

Just wondering if anybody knows what they're worth. I came across a 22" really heavy "Desert Glow" ride.
    I've heard all kinds of crazy stuff about how they were supposedly made with bacteria and gold bars and how the Grand Master died shortly after starting the company. But, nobody seems to know what it's worth. It sounds awesome. I just don't know if it's my style or sound.

thanks.
    HOLA como estas COMRADESPUTNIK* MI AMIOG CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) *My next 2 ROJO CALIENTE' CYMBALS
    are going to be GRAND MASTER***AND WELCOME to THIS VERY COOL AMAZING DRUM CHAT WORLDS RENOWNED (CALIENTE) (TAMBORES )FORUM PLACE *ALOT of VERY COOL CREATIVE ARTISTIC OPEN MINDED ARTIST
    (CATS)&(CATRESS) within this PLACE * I hope some of this HELPS *
    I am EXTREMMMXXXXXX within THE ANCIENT(SPIRITUAL) ARTISTRY of ALL ROJO CALIENTE CYMBALS & ALL TAMBORES ***GRACIAS
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grand Master Introduces "Breathing" Cymbals

January 29, 1998
    Grand Master cymbals are constructed using old world "Ancient Cymbal Sciences" and 100% handmade workmanship techniques. They are so intricate and difficult to make that they are the most expensive cymbals in the world to make! It is because of these exceptional construction procedures that Grand Master cymbals possess many unique qualities that set them apart from other cymbals in the world.

The alloy used is extremely soft and flexible in contrast to other cymbals. The legendary Living Alloy (tm) used to make all of our cymbals is ancient secret formula known only to the highest Grand Master elder craftsman. It contains many inconceivable ingredients that function as "catalysts" between the bonding of copper and Tin. This gives Grand Master cymbals its "unique sweet ring". Also it makes them extremely durable to abuse, that's why Grand Master Cymbals come with an unconditional 3 year guarantee (1 year for splashes and swishes).

The cups (bells) are hand hammered into shape by hand instead of using a press machine like other cymbals. This time consuming and pain staking process is one of the most difficult procedures there is in cymbal making! But its gives the cup/bell of the cymbal a very special quality that causes a "magnifying effect" which blesses Grand Masters Cymbals with that sought after "swelling multi timbre crescendo" that sets great cymbals apart from just good cymbals.

Advertisement

Only Grand Master cymbals are Master Tuned -- fully hand hammered once during initial construction and then a second time by a master craftsman using a "special hammer and twistbar" after completion. This produces extremely finely tuned and sweet cymbals.

Grand Master Cymbals are built in reverse! Yes you read it right, they are built in reverse (like an umbrella that has been blown into reverse by the wind) and then they are hand "snapped" into their final position. This is why a Grand Master has so much sustain. The cymbal is fighting with itself to snap back into its original shape but it can't, thus the endless "Grand Master" sustain. This is in great contrast to most computerized companies that sometimes may punch out cymbals from sheet metal by the thousands like a cookie factory.

A 10-step tempering process is sued, which means that the cymbal is boiled in acid and then reheated in a special wood burning stone oven 10 times to give it that special Grand Master performance quality. Most other companies do this once.

All cymbals are hand hammered and master lathed. They are cast and hammered "very thick" approximately double their final weight, and will loose up to 60% of their original weight in the final lathing. This way the master craftsman can really "power hammer" a cymbal without fear of over bearing its alloy (punching a hole through it!). This is why a Grand Master cymbal has "veins" running through its alloy and not just hammer

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat CP! I'd never heard of the Grand Champions before, but SWD's post certainly has me intrigued - not that I could ever afford them!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Welcome to Drum Chat CP! I'd never heard of the Grand Champions before, but SWD's post certainly has me intrigued - not that I could ever afford them!
    HOLA como estas PASTOR_BOB * MI AMIGO CREATIVE ARTISTIC OPEN MINDED ARTIST DRUMMER (CAT)*PER-HAPS WITHIN TIME you COULD * ,I did PERFORM(PLAY ) some of THESE *at the NAMM SHOW
    in 2008 *I loved them <so I am FORURE getting A FEW *within TIME AS these HOT BEAUTYS will ONLy ADD to My ALREADY ROJO CALIENTE' CYMBALS NEW DIMENSIONS WHICH I love *GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Wow...that's some involved process. I never heard of these before and am wondering how they might be available...probably by direct order I would assume. I just may have to start saving. Any idea where they are made?
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

In Turkey I believe. Modern Drummer did a piece on them a few years back.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Wow...that's some involved process. I never heard of these before and am wondering how they might be available...probably by direct order I would assume. I just may have to start saving. Any idea where they are made?
    HOLA como estas FIACOVAZ (FRANK) MI AMIGO CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) HERE is some MORE INFO (KNOWLEDGE) AMIGO AND FOR EVERY ONE * THESE ARE ROJO CALIENTE
    Grand Master Cymbal Models

January 29, 1998
    The Grand Master cymbal catalog.

Desert Glow

Our most popular model. Very swept sounding! With 2 full colored rich and complex tone. Vintage response with a warm deep "Breath". For connoisseur jazz and other styles where the cymbal should really sing! Big rides will really Purrrr... and those thin Crashes ... Oh man What a joy! You can not over play this cymbal. At any volume it is completely microphone friendly. A studio engineers dream, it produces fully aligned sets of harmonics that are absolutely delicious. From Super Symphonic to small club trap sets this is the "the top professionals workhorse cymbal".

Desert Gem

This is a Desert Glow with a "double hand hammered bell-cup". This process adds "shimmering musical highs" to the already ultra rich tone, but in spite of the accented high-mids this cymbal refuses to shriek at any volume! Great for live stage work, fusion, Rock and dynamic studio sessions where 2 brighter tighter shimmering sound is called for. All Crashes, Crash/Rides, and Hihats excel in this model. "The Chops Cymbal".

Desert Cured ("Delight")

The best of both worlds! This is a rich and colorful sounding desert Glow top with a dark and brooding "Cured" taw finish (unlathed) bottom" which produces a very warm get extremely melodic cymbal. A favorite in medium to large "Rides, dark Crashes, Crash-rides Hi-hats" and splashes! Jazz, Rock, alternative Top 40 and any application where warmth, stick volume and control is first priority. Like a good rich cup of dark coffee it is very aromatic, with just a light touch of earthiness. "Chocolate colored tone with mint topping" Dramatic and poetic, this is an extremely lyrical cymbal which responds to light touches as well as full power players. The smokey Cymbal.

Control Ring ("Sehzade")

This is a special design with a "sonic control ring pattern" hand spun "via" an unlathed channel that is carved into the top of the cymbal and also around its taw cured cup, but its bottom half is a pure sparkling desert glow model. The Grand Masters exclusive "Precious Living Alloy" prevents any unpleasantly brash tonal textures to be generated from this very responsive design, thereby allowing the player to take full advantage of this designs optimum control features without "noisy brash overtones" or 'Tin can trebles" heard in other brands similar models. Big tides, crashes, splashes, Hi-hats all continue to "breath" and sing in this design application. "Earthy, soulful and adventurous".

Advertisement

Control Ring Cured ("Topkapi")

Similar on the top Ode to a Control ring cymbal but with a "Cured bottom. This is a marvelous design which is a bit dryer than its cousin the "Control Ring" with mote pronounced stick definition. This cymbal hag developed a strong Wowing amongst rockers as "the Rock Players Dream Hi-hat"! but this model is also capable of go much mote in other applications such as rides, crashes, and dry-splashes. Metal players love its intimidating good looks along with Its tugged toad durability. But then again this game cymbal becomes a soulful swinger in the hands of older jazz players! Its is one of out darkest and driest cymbals but the Grand Master "Precious living alloy" prohibits it from becoming too muffled or cloudy. It "breaths" freely with its own strong proud character. Recommended for highly stylistic drummers who feel the game way about their playing. "The Moody Cymbal".

Custom Cured ("Turk-Ancient")

This is about as exotic as it gets. Raw and primal in appearance but -still extremely musical In performance. Out "Precious living Alloy" and special 10 step tempering process gives out "Custom Cured" model special harmonic properties not usually found in a cymbals of this design. The result is 2 sweet and musical yet extremely earthy tone. Rides, Hi-Hats and alternative crashes excel in the "custom Cured" design. "The Roots Cymbal".

The "Mastertuned" Model

This is out flagship model, and the only cymbal in the world which is double hammered (once during construction and a 2nd time after completion!) and by the most skilled master cymbal craftsman in the world! Its alloy is also a very special custom version of our secret "Living alloy". The rich, sweet and colorful harmonics caused by this exclusive process has to heard to be believed. The control factor is astonishing! Vowel like chimes, clear rich tinging pings and big deep breath... these things darn near talk!

Even we here at the factory are left astounded by its spectacular response. The double hammering process produces a stunning eye-catching cymbal with a "unique appearance unlike any other cymbal" which glands out on any stage. These cymbals are breathtakingly beautiful and will attract "ooo's and aahhh's" even before you play them, and when finally you do, its "dazzled faces and dropped jaw time"!

Because these cymbals are doubled hammered a second time after completion and re-tuned (or as we call it "Master Tuned") by out expert craftsman every Master Tuned series cymbal is harmonically consistent in their "voice" which is the sweetest and richest sound you will ever heat. Rides and Crash-Rides along with mid to large size crashes seem to favor this wonderful process. The Hi-hat models have a remarkably unique "Breathing hi-hat" sound which has had phenomenal response!

But be forewarned 'The Master Tuned Model" 12 not for everyone. This is a highly specialized cymbal that requires some time to get used to before you can fully exploit its dynamic qualities (especially in the "Ride" and "Crash/Ride" positions). We recommend that drummers first play this cymbal off the set "alone" for extended periods to learn its unique attributes and various sweet spots before including it into their setup. But once you get the feel of this cymbal its "basically all over"!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Anybody know about Grand Master Cymbals?

Swd Strikes Again!!!!! Man I Lubs Dat Cat's Love Of Great Unique Cymbals....He Will Always Be A Personal Reference
    To His "West Coast Brother" Thank You For Being In My Life SWD!!!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PHROGGE View Post
    Thank You For Being In My Life SWD!!!!!
    i second that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PHROGGE View Post
    Swd Strikes Again!!!!! Man I Lubs Dat Cat's Love Of Great Unique Cymbals....He Will Always Be A Personal Reference
    To His "West Coast Brother" Thank You For Being In My Life SWD!!!!!
    HOLA como estas PHROGGE Mi amigo CREATIVE ARTISTIC OPEN MINDE DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) GRACIAS *AND your RIGHT (CORRECT) I do LOVE BEYOND MUY ROJO CALIENTE' AMAZING CYMBALS *and shareing
    ANCIENT SPIRITUAL KNOWLEDGE within all of this VERY AMAZING ANCIENT SPIRITUAL ANCIENT ART FORM*

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jack's_art View Post
    i second that.
    HOLA como estas JACK'S_ART MI AMIGO CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) GRACIAS