Thread: Recording with Elecro kits

User Info Menu

Default Recording with Elecro kits

I have recently decided tht on my bands next cd we make Im not going to use my electric kit. Weve recorded twice before and both times, it was a complete failure, the sound on the recordings were no where near what i wanted them and the bass was WAY to quite and the snare way tood loud. The hi hat you couldnt even hear nd the toms were just fuzzing noises. Is there a way i can solve this?

Its a Yamaha DTXplorer btw

User Info Menu

Default Re: Recording with Elecro kits

I it would be a struggle to get you mix right with almost any brain other the the top of the line. You need the individule outputs to get separate tracks. I have TD-20 and it is great for recording, I looked at the top of the line YAMAHA at the GC and it looks like it has the same as the TD-20.

How many mics do you have for you acoustic kit?
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

the dtxplorer is garbage. you arent going to be able to record decently with it.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Recording with Elecro kits

How To Solve Yer E-kit Recording Problem?
    Don't Use It
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Actually you do not need a top of the line kit. I would actually prefer the Yamaha over Roland. Yamaha gets their sounds from actual instruments unlike most of Rolands. You can EQ the drums idividually but you have to go into the EQ menu. It is not on the outside of the module with sliders like the more expensive models. You can EQ it just the same its just a matter of doing some searching and reading of your manual! The Xplorer is a good kit. However, I would rather record with the real thing, but if you are unfamiliar with mic's and mic setup the e-kit might be a better choice for you at this point in time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    I it would be a struggle to get you mix right with almost any brain other the the top of the line. You need the individule outputs to get separate tracks. I have TD-20 and it is great for recording, I looked at the top of the line YAMAHA at the GC and it looks like it has the same as the TD-20.

How many mics do you have for you acoustic kit?
    Yes the new extreme3 and even the older extremeIIs has faders on the outside as well as individual outs. If I were you Andy, I would look on ebay or call around and see if you can get your hands on one of these Yamaha modules. The IIs is probably pretty cheap now that its been discontinued for over a year. This thing has a direct USB port (not found on the Rolands!) plus it also has sampling ability. I would record your real drums, sample them into you new module and play the new sounds from your e-kit. Thats just me though.

User Info Menu

I use the DTXplorer for our church contemporary worship. We play praise song styles ranging from edgy rock styles to classical. We have keyboards, bass and two acoustic/electric guitars and 6 vocalists. We have no problems with recording as we have 32 channels on our sound board. Once our master mixer has everything isolated, he balances everything so we get the optimum sound we want for a particular song or set. We record our practice and live music on CDs for future discussion and fine-tuning and every component of the DTXplorer comes through, clear and true. So, I would say, it may be your soundboard that is the weak link.

User Info Menu

I have used a Roland D20 Vkit on a cd I played on for a Christian blues/funk band and I hafta say that that single experience really made me appreciate ekits (to some extent).. for my taste, my acoustics will always be my faves! -Les

User Info Menu

Yup. Nothing beats an acoustic kit for pure natural sound and options, though the e-kit truly performs in challenging acoustical environments. Have you played an acoustic kit in church?