Thread: recording

User Info Menu

Default recording

We are currently recording some songs in our basement, and I am wondering what people say is the best for drums. Is it most effective to do drums first then add instruments or drums last maybe? We are trying al sorts of differnts things but if anyone is more experienced i am sure your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

User Info Menu

typically drums go first, it's alot harder for a guitarist to keep the rythm than the drummer usually....but really it just depends on your situation...

User Info Menu

what i did with my last band Utopia was we did a trash track where all of us played together and then it didn't matter what part went first because you could hear everything as u recorded

User Info Menu

me and some buddies only had one mic so the guitarist went first, then we looped that back through the headphones while we recorded vocals and then looped both those together as I played along on the djembe. one of the kid's that rapped on it has it on his website, but it's Not the final mastered one, and there are tons of errors and mistakes, I was a very inexperienced hand drum player at the time and we recorded it with one take for each of us, and the first time me or alex heard the song was earlier that daybat a retreat for high school where clay played it for the senior class and alex and I insisted that we colaborate on it asap http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...m?bandID=92418 scroll down to "please come home"
    Last edited by porkpie420; 11-17-2006 at 12:48 AM.
    "Can't this wait 'til i'm old, can't I live while i'm young?"

User Info Menu

try rhythm guitar, bass, drums together, then add the others. get a good solid track down, then build from that. thats the way we do it in our studio. vocals always seems to go last for us. Good luck to you.
    The road goes on forever and the party never ends, Johnny Cash is a friend of mine. www.myspace.com/braxtonbisceglia

User Info Menu

My bro and I do the guitar and drums together, then lay all our effects stuff over that. the next cd we do we will probobly record the drums and guitar seperate.
    "Music is always an experiment."

User Info Menu

I've always gone first. We have guitars playing live through headphones. It's totally up to you if you use a click track. I am questioning the necessity of this myself currently. In any case, it tends to help as the backbone to have drums first. By all means, whatever works best for you...do it. Whatever is going to make you more comfortable, and help you get a better track down in the long run...