Thread: Memorizing rudimental pieces

User Info Menu

Default Memorizing rudimental pieces

I've been playing rudimental bass with a small group of ex drumcorps guys, and we're going up to Hamilton Ont. for a Drumming event being held there next week-end. We've got a half dozen rudimental pieces that we are playing, and although I can play most of them fairly proficiently I'm having the worst time trying to memorize a couple of them. One of the ones that I'm having the hardest time memorizing is Crazy Army (a piece Steve Gadd plays often). Each line and section is a little different, there are no repeated sections like in the other pieces. It's just really kicking my but. Must be old age it just takes me forever to memorize stuff these days. Any one have any memorization tricks that want to lay on me, other than playing each phrase over and over until I get it down.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Memorizing rudimental pieces

Could you maybe pinpoint how the sections are different? If you can define that, maybe it will help you remember which goes where.

User Info Menu

Definitely don't see the piece as a whole. It's much easier to memorize smaller pieces, so find a way to break it into pieces. Is there any way to memorize 4 or 8 measures at a time? You have to remember something for 5-7 minutes to get it into long term memory, so keep it small and keep going through the small piece for about 10 minutes, then get up and come back to do it again. Repeat this with each piece of the whole and after you've got several of them memorized start adding the parts together - adding one piece at a time. Just a suggestion.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

The only suggestion I have for you is to associate each section of the drum score with the melodic line of the tune itself. BTW, I grew up in the southern tier region...Binghamton, NY...and played with drums corps out of there in the early to mid '60's. To this day, any time I hear "The Start of Something Big" I swear I can still play the snare drum part.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Oh man, Crazy army, good stuff, AKA the introduction to Electric wheelchair. It shouldnt be to bad, I listened to electric wheelchair 500000 times though, so I know it.

The best thing I do is start playing it, over, and over,and over, and over, you get the idea, and eventually it turns into such a flow that I play up to a certan point, then need my music again. Go from that area, and see how far you can go, and repeat. Then I start hooking things together.

Thats my technique at least.

User Info Menu

Try taking each rudiment by itself. Play it slowly. Learn the sound of it. Once you get it down you will find it easier to remember.

User Info Menu

I got drum tab for steve gadds crazy army, its not original score but its pretty good , let me know if ya want it.
    As for memorizing the entire piece whoa, can be done I guess at least ya can get it close, I would approach it in typical fashion and think of it as 8 to 16 bar phrases. good luck buddy.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Wow...good stuff! I wish I had something more creative to say, but repetition has always worked best for me. Good luck with it!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    The only suggestion I have for you is to associate each section of the drum score with the melodic line of the tune itself. BTW, I grew up in the southern tier region...Binghamton, NY...and played with drums corps out of there in the early to mid '60's. To this day, any time I hear "The Start of Something Big" I swear I can still play the snare drum part.
    What Corps did you play with, I was with the Greece Cadets from Greece NY, but in the early 70s. I familiar with most of the corps from the area back then. Later on in the 70s I played with the Crusaders Sr. Corp.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Church Drummer
    Senior Member (Respected Chatter) Join Date: May 2007

Re: Memorizing rudimental pieces

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fiacovaz

What Corps did you play with, I was with the Greece Cadets from Greece NY, but in the early 70s. I familiar with most of the corps from the area back then. Later on in the 70s I played with the Crusaders Sr. Corp.

************************************************** *******************************

It was in the early 1960's that I played with The Vagabonds SR. Drum and Bugle corps. In 1965, I believe, they merged with the White Knight Challengers from Owego, NY and the newly merged corps became the Southern Tiersmen. Brad Berger was drumline instructor and a fabulous teacher.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fiacovaz

It was in the early 1960's that I played with The Vagabonds SR. Drum and Bugle corps.

wowsa I was not even an embryo then!!!!!!!!
    In 1965, I believe, Oh man , I woulda been 2 years old!!

Official cowbell hater.

dclauder Guest

Try using a tape recorder (either tape or digital) strapped to you or your drum. Sounds simple, but this worked great for me for years at UO. People could never figure out how I had the parts down by the next day... (sat up all night memorizing). Works best if you import the audio into a computer and you slide through the audio file to repeat the tough parts.

Hope this helps!

Dave

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer View Post
    Hey best ribs are in Greese NY just cant remeber the name billy bobs somthing like that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    Hey best ribs are in Greese NY just cant remeber the name billy bobs somthing like that
    There is a good Rib place here in Greece Place called Famous Dave's, but there is one in downtown Rochester Called the Dinasour Barbeque that I like better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer View Post
    There is a good Rib place here in Greece Place called Famous Dave's, but there is one in downtown Rochester Called the Dinasour Barbeque that I like better.
    Love the Dinosaur BBQ. They have one in Syracuse! I have been to Greece,NY

User Info Menu

The OP has to be talking about the CADRE Shake. Wish I could have gone. I know several of those guys.

Crazy Army has become pretty much a standard among F&D players. Just keep playing it over and over. It is only 32 bars total (8 and 8 each repeated). It is a nice groove made fairly famous by Gadd. I was surfing some Swiss F&D site and heard them playing it to some tune I didn't recognize.

JW

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jdubbs View Post
    The OP has to be talking about the CADRE Shake. Wish I could have gone. I know several of those guys.

Crazy Army has become pretty much a standard among F&D players. Just keep playing it over and over. It is only 32 bars total (8 and 8 each repeated). It is a nice groove made fairly famous by Gadd. I was surfing some Swiss F&D site and heard them playing it to some tune I didn't recognize.

JW
    It was the Cadre Shake that I went to, my first time this year, it was a lot of fun. I looking forward to going to the one coming up in Gettysburg, and going back to the Care Shake next year.

User Info Menu

Drummer,
    Are you talking about GAS in Gettysburg this Spring?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jdubbs View Post
    Drummer,
    Are you talking about GAS in Gettysburg this Spring?
    That's the one!!