Thread: Siam Oak or Rubber Tree

User Info Menu

Default Siam Oak or Rubber Tree

For those that may want this information:

There are lots of hand drums out there that are made from "Siam Oak".

I recently bought an LP djembe drum and included in the advertised information about the drum it was stated that it was made out of Siam Oak. When I looked into what type of wood that was I could not get an answer. I thought it might be some kind of oak though - not!

It is a nice wood though, but no where near the Quercus species at all.

I went to a local University botany forum and asked what it was and found out........
    Hevea brasiliensis (Thai Oak, Asian Oak and Siam Oak) the Rubberwood tree.

Just thought I'd pass this along for those that might be interested in knowing exactly what Siam Oak is...

Cheers,

Kona
    Last edited by drummer; 10-13-2008 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Commercial Link
    Gary

User Info Menu

Default Re: Siam Oak or Rubber Tree

Just like Brazilian Cherry isn't a cherry tree. When the Europeans discovered new species, they often named then after those they were familiar with at home.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Siam Oak or Rubber Tree

"Whoops, there goes another rubber tree plant!" (couldn't resist sneaking in that line from the song "High Hopes" on that one!)

Interesting...does this mean I have to change my review on the LP Aspire conga to "LP Aspire black-finish rubber tree conga?"

Actually, those congas sounded pretty good when I played them, so I can't complain; seems like I'm not the only one who was confused....
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    "Whoops, there goes another rubber tree plant!" (couldn't resist sneaking in that line from the song "High Hopes" on that one!)

Interesting...does this mean I have to change my review on the LP Aspire conga to "LP Aspire black-finish rubber tree conga?"

Actually, those congas sounded pretty good when I played them, so I can't complain; seems like I'm not the only one who was confused....
    No - don't change your great review there BB.
    Yes - quite often there is confusion (as Roaddrbris has brought to our attention here) in the world of plant names (local & regional common names often vary when refering to a plant species - eg: Bigleaf Maple in Canada is Oregon Maple in the USA but both refer to the same plant Acer Macrophyllum) Note: sometimes the scientific name is even spelt different - as in this maple plant example. Gets complicated when humans get involved for sure!
    Actually - what I've read has been positive (good) on the subject of making drums and furnature out of this plant. The "rubbertree" has gotten a second-life from all of this because the wood that's not used for rubber is then used to make frunature & drums etc. That's why LP states in their advertisments using this wood for their drums is "environmentally friendly".
    Gary

User Info Menu

kona--no prob on bein' green with my congas...didn't realize that rubberwood was used as much as it was...might make a note on that should I need to replace my congas in the future...

cheers!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Siam Oak really being the Rubber Tree

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    For those that may want this information:
    <snipped>
    I went to a local University botany forum and asked what it was and found out........
    Hevea brasiliensis (Thai Oak, Asian Oak and Siam Oak) the Rubberwood tree.
    <snipped>
    Cheers,

Kona
    Fascinating! I'll never look at my LP Aspire bongos in quite the same way, ever again. Lucky for me, I fell in love with them before I knew what they were made of! Now, instead of being put off by the bongos because they're made from some tree that sounds like it wouldn't be good, my perspective changes to think that the rubberwood tree is really a good choice for making drums from.

User Info Menu

Now, instead of being put off by the bongos because they're made from some tree that sounds like it wouldn't be good, my perspective changes to think that the rubberwood tree is really a good choice for making drums from.
    They use the same wood in their pro line Classic models, so you know its got to be a good choice. I prefer it over the ash wood Gios.

User Info Menu

Cool stuff to know! Thanks Kona! Maybe that's why my hand seems to bounce right off the head when I play!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Cool stuff to know! Thanks Kona! Maybe that's why my hand seems to bounce right off the head when I play!
    Like this, PB?? That's where the heel-and-tips can get a little dicey!

Charlie

User Info Menu

Unfortunately, in my experience, I have three negative experiences with Lp rubber tree made congas. I'm referring to cracks that developed in the drums. However, I have a friend who has had her Aspire for 15 years and except for a few dinks, has held up pretty well. No cracks. Still I prefer the domestic woods such as maple, ash, oak, & cherry. Peace out
    Seneferu

User Info Menu

P.S. I did hear that Meinl and Lp reinforce their Siam Oak drums by coating the inside with fiberglass. Just some additional information.