After playing my Gretsch Catalina Birch (outstanding kit) kit for the past three years I decided I wanted to try a maple kit. I ordered a new 6 piece Gretsch Renown from Musician's Friend. Unfortunately the kit arrived with a major damaged spot on the bass drum and one of the toms was not the correct finish. MS said it would be some time before the reorder would ship do to a back order issue. At this time I decided to give the Sonor Force 3007’s a try. I must admit I still have a desire to get the Renown’s but boy am I satisfied with the 3007’s.

Musician's Friend shipped the 3007’s without delay and they arrived in perfect condition. I selected the Natural Maple finish in a 6 piece shell pack featuring a 10, 12, 13, & 16 inch toms along with a 5.5 inch snare and a 22 inch bass drum.

I have played the Gretsch Renown’s many times and I can tell you the Sonor 3007’s rival the Gretsch kit in every aspect. The one exception would be the cast rims on the Renown’s. One plus is the cost of the 3007’s compared to the Renown’s. About a $300 dollar difference in savings.

Sonor uses a sharp cut bearing edge verses the rounded edge that Gretsch and others use but with the superb cut applied on these drums this is no issue at all. The lugs on the 3007’s feature a “Tune Safe” feature that helps prevent slippage of the tuning. This feature really works and every drum manufacture should have this as a standard feature on there drums.

As much as I like my Birch kit I must say the 3007’s Maple is much more to my liking in their tone. As for other features of the drums the finish is flawless and the tom mount platform is as sturdy as any available. I will say the Gretsch tom mount platform is likely the best made, truly an infinite adjustment system and the Sonor is a close second to this system.

Bottom line is if you are looking for a kit that far exceeds its price range I would 100% recommend the Sonor Force 3007 Maple kit.