Thread: Sonor Force 3007 Maple Reviews

User Info Menu

Default Sonor Force 3007 Maple Reviews

After playing my Gretsch Catalina Birch (outstanding kit) kit for the past three years I decided I wanted to try a maple kit. I ordered a new 6 piece Gretsch Renown from Musician's Friend. Unfortunately the kit arrived with a major damaged spot on the bass drum and one of the toms was not the correct finish. MS said it would be some time before the reorder would ship do to a back order issue. At this time I decided to give the Sonor Force 3007’s a try. I must admit I still have a desire to get the Renown’s but boy am I satisfied with the 3007’s.

Musician's Friend shipped the 3007’s without delay and they arrived in perfect condition. I selected the Natural Maple finish in a 6 piece shell pack featuring a 10, 12, 13, & 16 inch toms along with a 5.5 inch snare and a 22 inch bass drum.

I have played the Gretsch Renown’s many times and I can tell you the Sonor 3007’s rival the Gretsch kit in every aspect. The one exception would be the cast rims on the Renown’s. One plus is the cost of the 3007’s compared to the Renown’s. About a $300 dollar difference in savings.

Sonor uses a sharp cut bearing edge verses the rounded edge that Gretsch and others use but with the superb cut applied on these drums this is no issue at all. The lugs on the 3007’s feature a “Tune Safe” feature that helps prevent slippage of the tuning. This feature really works and every drum manufacture should have this as a standard feature on there drums.

As much as I like my Birch kit I must say the 3007’s Maple is much more to my liking in their tone. As for other features of the drums the finish is flawless and the tom mount platform is as sturdy as any available. I will say the Gretsch tom mount platform is likely the best made, truly an infinite adjustment system and the Sonor is a close second to this system.

Bottom line is if you are looking for a kit that far exceeds its price range I would 100% recommend the Sonor Force 3007 Maple kit.

Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sonor Force 3007 Maple

May I join you in praises?

Mine....

in Autumn Fade.

Not only do these drums sound great but they are easy to tune up. My configuration is 8", 10", 12" and 16" toms and a 22" bass drum. Snare is 14". The reason I'm gigging with them is the sound is awesome, they aren't the heaviest drums I own and they just sound fantastic.

Have I mentioned how good they sound? And as rritter eluded, the value is so there!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

When I was making my decision on the all maple kit, I narrowed down my choice to the Gretsch Catalina and the Sonor Force 3005. I finally chose the Gretsch (after much agony, and indecision). I don't regret the choice I made, but I don't really think I wouldn't have gone wrong with either set. That's what made the decision so hard.

RR and Bish, you're kits are awesome looking!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

PB
    I’m a big fan of Gretsch drums as you know. My Catalina Birch kit is a great kit. As for the Maple Cats I’ve heard nothing but good things about them. Had they offered a setup like I play with my Gretsch & Sonor drums I would have had a hard time deciding as you did. The two advantages with the Sonor Force 3007’s is setup availability (5) and the number of finishes (9) they offer. My one big grip with Gretsch, very limited selection on the Catalina lines. When I bought my Birch kit they offered 5 finishes and I believe 5 kit setups. Gretsch if you are monitoring this forum, listen up!
    Last edited by rritter; 10-14-2008 at 01:39 PM.

User Info Menu

RR, I agree that finish selection is the Catalina's achilles heel. I'd love to see the Cat Maples in the Honey Amber finish that is offered by Mapex on their M Birch line. Oh well, I'll have to be happy with the awesome sound I get! Hahaha
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

I have to say that my SONORS sounded as good as the Maple Renowns I had from Gretsch. They were killer. I'm not really sure why I didn't get along with Gretschs. They were fantastic.

I think it must have been my own lack of appreciation for them. They were beautiful and sounded great. But I'm very happy with these SONORS. They sound how I expect a drum set to sound.

But, so do my MCX Pearls and my PDP's and they all sound different from each other.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Gorgeous kits guys!! I've always had a respect for Sonor drums, but never owned any. One of these days......maybe I'll just have to snag them off Bish when he moves to his next kit.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Well Norske, that shouldn't be to long...

(jus' kiddin', Bish
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

I think I've finally realized why deciding whether I want to get another set is so hard for me. I've played on quite a few sets over the years at jazz jam sessions and on floor models. The one constant has been that the drums all seem to be geared for and tuned for the more In-Your-Face playing. Recently, I replaced my Pin Stripes with coated Ambassadors and added clear Diplomats as resos. After tuning, I began to play around and it was like the drums had awaken. The tones are more open and musical and not as constrained as before. I had been concerned that a single ply head was going to be much to resonant and am glad to find out that they aren't. Still, having another kit isn't a bad idea and I have always liked the idea of it being a set of Gretsch Renowns or US Customs.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Still, having another kit isn't a bad idea and I have always liked the idea of it being a set of Gretsch Renowns or US Customs.
    You da man Frank!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Well Norske, that shouldn't be to long...

(jus' kiddin', Bish
    Actually I wasn't entirely kidding Frank.....I bought my current M Birch kit from Bish. And I might add that he takes exceptionally good care of his drums!
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Hey rritter, Very nice natural finish on those sonors and Bish's too. I have always had a soft spot for sonor as well and I agree what you guys are saying about the sound.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

You guys are making me blush...if that's possible.

Thank you, all!!!

And thanks, Richard, for starting this thread. I didn't mean to take anything away from you. I've listened to your band and have huge respect for you, as you may have guessed from the other forum.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Bish

You take nothing from my post at all. You just made it better for those looking at Sonor drums. It’s great that you are gigging with your 3007’s when you have such an arsenal to choose from. Just one question, do you still have your Saturn’s? Oh yea and thanks for the kind words about our group.

I will also add that with my Sonors there is never a worry at the jobs. I just set them up and have fun. Some drummers are always talking about there kits need constant adjustment to satisfy them. Maybe I’m not that picky. After all that is what a kit should give back to the drummer and the Sonors do just that.

User Info Menu

Yes, I still have the Saturns but I have someone buying them on time. I have a couple hundred down as payments and told him whenever he can pay them off, he'll own them. So for now they are stacked up in the back of my recording area.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Its nice to read the praises of the Force 3007. Its been years since I owned a kit but just this past Friday I went to a local merchant and ordered the Stage 1 kit in the faded autumn color. I tried the Studio 1 package in the shop and loved the sound. I'm hoping the legendary deep tones of Sonor will really ring through on the Stage 1 setup (deeper/bigger toms). I love the Gretsch drums but can't really afford what I want. That said, I have no doubt I'll be happy with my purchase. I caught Dave Langguth (Nelly Furtado) at a clinic and he made a set of the 3007's "ROCK".

Signed
    Stoked In NB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DangerousD View Post
    Its nice to read the praises of the Force 3007. Its been years since I owned a kit but just this past Friday I went to a local merchant and ordered the Stage 1 kit in the faded autumn color. I tried the Studio 1 package in the shop and loved the sound. I'm hoping the legendary deep tones of Sonor will really ring through on the Stage 1 setup (deeper/bigger toms). I love the Gretsch drums but can't really afford what I want. That said, I have no doubt I'll be happy with my purchase. I caught Dave Langguth (Nelly Furtado) at a clinic and he made a set of the 3007's "ROCK".

Signed
    Stoked In NB
    Even with the stock UT head you won’t be disappointed. But change out your heads to Remo Emp’s or Evans G2’s and all that deep tone and warmth you remember will be there. Simply awesome drums.

User Info Menu

Ahem, well guys... (*stares at his avatar for a moment*)

Sonor makes one truly awesome drumset... regardless of shell material or finish. I have two Sonor sets, both are first generation S-Class. My 7-piece Ash set has similar sizes as the Steve Smith Commemorative set and the sound that comes out of them is pure joy. I love Sonor and always have since way back in the day! Good luck with your sets, guys. Glad to see a few more converts!

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

I always had a liking for the sonar kits. There's this Sonor 3007 kit sitting in a drum shop that I sometimes find myself going into. The only problem is that he keeps all the heads on his kits loose so no one can play them without first buying them. That's a problem for me, if I can't hear them I won't buy them.

The only Sonors I've played a few times were the SQ2s. Very nice sounding if tuned correctly, but very expensive. Another kit I would love to play or hear would be the Gretsch Calalina maples. I see them often, but never had the chance to play them, someday.

Dennis

User Info Menu

Thanks for the review, I too have always really liked Sonors. It comes from my hero worship of Steve Smith in his Journey days. If I were to replace my kit with another semi pro kit it would definatly be the Sonor Force!

User Info Menu

i read they're 9 ply shells, are they deep and loud like aerosmith's sound?

User Info Menu

Very nice clean set ups guys!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!