Thread: Good headphones for drumming?

User Info Menu

Default Good headphones for drumming?

I've been trying to find a good set of headphones that kill enough outside noise for me to play with. So far, no luck. I've tried Boss earbuds with the little foam that acts like an earplug, those didn't work. Too much noise got in through the outside end of the piece. I have a real nice set of muffs, (LOL), but I can't get anything to sit right inside them. What I need is a set of muffs with really good speakers built in!

So what do you guys/gals use?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Good headphones for drumming?

Earbuds like these:

And a set of chainsaw muffs.

User Info Menu

man, dont make the same mistake i did. make sure whatever set you get, has 2 cords.. 1 coming off of each ear. that way you can run them behind your back. i bought a set that only has 1 cord coming off the left ear, and it always gets in the way of my drumming

the ones i bought were the vic firth isolation headphones.

User Info Menu

I use AWA dynamic sterio headphones. I get great sound from them and no outside noise at all but I play in a quiet place. Well for me anyway.lol.
    DKM

User Info Menu

I proudly wear Spark Plugs! Cool Colors and very suppressive. I took like a gallon ziploc of them from an old job.

User Info Menu

For practice I use an old set of Panasonic headphones. They encompass the entire ear, are closed design to keep outside noises out, semi light weight and sound very good.
    I've had them now for about thirty five years and they're still going strong.

Dennis

Larrysperf Guest

I use a set of DJ ear phones they have great sound & I can adjust them for my fat head lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    I proudly wear Spark Plugs! Cool Colors and very suppressive. I took like a gallon ziploc of them from an old job.
    should change your name to bassist stealing things!!

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    should change your name to bassist stealing things!!
    Not really stealing, but you take a handful on your way to your machine, and occasionally there were leftovers!! Should've worn them for their "inspirational" meetings. The ones where the president of the company tells everyone that they need to work harder, or they will move the job south. Very bad!

User Info Menu

I use sony studio moniter headphones if im playing with recorded music,such as my ipod, but when im just practicing, i use these headphones that are supposed to be used for loud machines, i don't know name, but they are red!
    MY drum kit so far:
    pdp ez series drums(14" snare, 12, 13,and 16" toms. 22" bass)
    pdp 10" mini timbale
    Zildjian zbt 18" crash/ride, 10" splash
    paiste 201 bronze 14" hi-hats, 16" crash, 20" ride
    sabian aax 16" ozone crash
    pearl primaro cowbell.

I love my kit!!!!!

User Info Menu

For practicing by myself to music I use Sony wireless headphones, and I like them a lot. If you get too much "white noise" you simply change channels to a clearer one. I can control my cd player with a remote and never have to get up from the drum kit.

If you're talking about something to wear when you're playing with your band, I would highly recommend IEMs. I use Shure PSM 400 with the E3 ear buds. With the standard ear pieces you can still hear a lot, but with the foam sleeves you don't really hear anything except what is coming through your mix.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Beyer Dynamic DT990's really good, they sit tight on your head and has a warm nice tone
    itj færra nålles

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mob47 View Post
    Beyer Dynamic DT990's really good, they sit tight on your head and has a warm nice tone
    I believe the DT 990 is an open headphone. I would suggest using a closed back set of phones for some isolation. What comes to mind are the Beyer Dynamic 770 which have outside attenuation of about 18 DB or the Sennheiser 280 which have a bit more attenuation of about 32 DB. There are also a few Sony models that would also work nicely.

Dennis

Larrysperf Guest

I also have a set of JBL head phones that work really well

User Info Menu

I use a mixture of earbuds and my VF Iso headphones, best combination ever. The earbuds are very inexpensice RCA's and I wear the headphones over them to cancel out the attack of the drums and experience their resonance throuhg my own ears.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I use also for just practicing with music the Sony Studio Headphones, ($30) and with recordings I use my Sennheiser HD280 Pro. ($99) Not the most expensive ones, but they most definitely do the job!
    • Crush Limited Reserve Wenge
    • DW Collectors
    • Sakae Pac-D
    • Roland TD-9
    • Zildjian K/A Cymbals
    • Crush, DW, Pork Pie, Trick Snares
    • MAY Sennheiser, Audio Technica Internal Mics
    • Gibraltar 9600 hardware
    • Protection Racket/RoadRunner Touring cases

User Info Menu

I use Vic Firth isolation headphones. For ear muffs, cheap and effective WalMart brand from their gun section.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    Not really stealing, but you take a handful on your way to your machine, and occasionally there were leftovers!! Should've worn them for their "inspirational" meetings. The ones where the president of the company tells everyone that they need to work harder, or they will move the job south. Very bad!
    Yeah, that's a real inspirational meeting there! I want to work for that company!

NOT!

User Info Menu

i'm going to have to do some comparison shopping, i need a new set of headphones, i blew out the speakers in the ones i was using

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by parttimedrummer View Post
    i'm going to have to do some comparison shopping, i need a new set of headphones, i blew out the speakers in the ones i was using

I hope that they were not on your head when they blew. What... What... What did you say?

BTW, I'll probably be getting a set of Beyer Dynamoc DT-770 Pros this weekend. I tried them on at the store, but I want to see or hear how they work in my environment.

Dennis

User Info Menu

i use soundproof headphones, you can find them at your local hardware store, they are great b/c you can stick earphones in your ears while drumming and still have the soundproof headphones

Larrysperf Guest

sorry didnt hear you can you all repeat that