Thread: Any Advice?

User Info Menu

Default Any Advice?

Just recently ive felt as if i havn't progressed very much with drumming, probably cause im think more about music tech kinda stuff at the moment. I feel like i am playing the same kinda stuff over and over and dont really know how i can further my drumming (other than practicing rudiments more.)

Does anyone know if there are any cool techniques or quirky beats i can try and learn, i wanna try and give myself a challenge. Maybe like a latin, jazz or raggae beat or something kinda different as i dont know much drumming from these fields. Also if anyone knows any good drummers i can listen to or watch to inspire me. I was thinking of drum beats like incorporating the hi hat pedal more with more like snares on offbeats and stuff. Also maybe not riding on something consistantly

Thanks, and sorry if the question sounds a little vague... feel free to give any advice. Thanks, i just feel like im caught too much in a repetitive cycle

User Info Menu

Default Re: Any Advice?

Try Tommy Igoe's Groove Essentials.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    Try Tommy Igoe's Groove Essentials.
    I'm going to see him play this weekend, can't wait..... He's great.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

the tommy igoe dvd is great , any of the gadd vids are great, and also check out weckle or horacio hernandez vids, I have included a quick weckle vid/lesson for ya, its a simple groove that he shows ya how to build on it, check the left hand action , just simply incorporating the left on the hats changes up this groove quite a bit.
    I would also recommend having a listen to stu copeland of the Police he has some nice grooves that are not too complex.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6Ubq...eature=related

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    I'm going to see him play this weekend, can't wait..... He's great.
    WOW!!!! Would Love to see him live. I am jealous now.... I will trade you some Chocolate!!!! Cool! Have fun! Try to meet him and get a pic with him!

User Info Menu

And, if you can't get your picture taken with Tommy, DC....come to Des Moines, you can get a lot of pictures with me
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

MS... go to You Tube and the world of drumming is at your fingertips. Anything you want is there. If you want things broken up into categories, Drum Bum spends time on this in a couple of different places in their site. One is their drum lessons database and there is a place in their store area that's got a lot of educational videos for free. Here's a link: http://store.drumbum.com/drums/drum-...mmer-video.htm

As for drummers that will inspire... here are some that inspire me to get outside of the box and create:
    jojo mayer, thomas lang, dave weckl, vinnie colaiuta, johnny rabb, tony royster jr., dennis chambers, keith carlock, virgil donati... there are literally hundreds that I listen to and learn from.

User Info Menu

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    And, if you can't get your picture taken with Tommy, DC....come to Des Moines, you can get a lot of pictures with me
    I would rather have a picture with you than Tommy Igoe any day

User Info Menu

Make stuff you play harder...like, if you do double bass, take it off, and play single pedal. And if you play quads like R,L,RK,LK, play them like RRKKLLKK.
    Just make stuff harder! Do stuff you usually would with two hands with one. And then get it up to speed.
    And learn Moeller, Push/Pull, easy stuff like that.
    And listen to songs!
    And play along to everything!
    And...erm. There isn't a reason not to improve each time you sit down at the kit.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Cheers all for the advice!

User Info Menu

Dc...
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg