Thread: CP congas

User Info Menu

Default CP congas

Hello,
    I have just adopted an older CP 11" conga with no head or flesh whoop and it has the old school traditional rim, I think Bongobro Could maybe help on this subject. Can I use another drum head like an Aspire or hand picked or even from another brand? If anybody has an older CP 11" conga, when you have time, what is the outside diameter of your drum head? (around the flesh whoop)
    Thanks,
    L4C

User Info Menu

Cool Re: CP congas

Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    Hello,
    I have just adopted an older CP 11" conga with no head or flesh whoop and it has the old school traditional rim, I think Bongobro Could maybe help on this subject. Can I use another drum head like an Aspire or hand picked or even from another brand? If anybody has an older CP 11" conga, when you have time, what is the outside diameter of your drum head? (around the flesh whoop)
    Thanks,
    L4C
    Hey, L4C! I thought I heard my "conga senses" tingling!

Most--and I emphasize the word MOST--conga heads from a CP conga are interchangeable with the other LP lines. I say MOST because you'll recall my trials and tribulations getting a head for, as it turned out, was an oddball 9 5/8" conga head for my black fiberglass CP quinto.

Your best bet would be to take the rim of your CP with you to the place you're shopping for your head and "test-fit" the head to the rim. Your new head should have the flesh hoop sewn in. The problem I face with my head, for example, is that it will be cut out of a new skin, and the hoop will have to be sewn into mine...

And indeed, you don't have to stick with an LP head. I wanted to upgrade my CP head to a Fiberskyn when the head broke, but unfortunately it doesn't come in that size for my quinto. You may have better luck, though! Good luck, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: CP congas

CP being a beginner series usually came in non-traditional sizes. However the Aspire line, if I'm not mistaken, uses the same sizes that the cp line had, so I would check out those first. Like bongo bro said, a fyberskyn or other synthetic might be difficult to find. If the drum is a true 11" then you should be able to put any lp "quinto" size head on there. If worse comes to worse I can give you the name of a shop who will make custom sized flesh hoops for about $12 and you can tuck you own skin. Tucking skin is really easy, especially with traditional hoops like you said this drum had, its also pretty fun to do and a great learning experience if you've never done it before.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info guys,
    I will look into the Aspires. I do tuck my own heads but the only problem with that is I've removed flesh whoops out of heads that were still good to reskin with cow but if I can figure out how to make my own flesh whoops I won't have to destroy perfectly good heads just to get the flesh whoops out.
    Thanks,
    L4C

User Info Menu

Cool Re: CP congas

Might PM Kona...he gave me some info about making your own conga heads that might help you too, L4C...

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

PM me for info about where to get flesh hoops of any size... the link I posted was deleted due to rules of the board.