Thread: Pearl vs. Yams/ Remo vs. Evans

User Info Menu

Default Pearl vs. Yams/ Remo vs. Evans

Okay, this is a two part question.
    I have 1 football game left in the season and its done for marching.
    I want to keep my chops up during the off-season, so I was planning on buying a completely new marching snare. Your probably wondering why I just dont use a practice pad, and thats because I dont get the same feel from it that i do from a snare. Also because our snares at school right now are pretty old and dont sound great. (and i would be able to use my own snare at band camp, and have with me whenever I wanted.)

So now Im in a pickle as to which snare to buy. It's a toss up between the Yamaha Sfz 13x11 or the pearl Championship 13x11

Which one has better tonal quality and is overall better?

Now when I purchase the snare, which head should I use?
    At school we use the Remo White Max, which seems like the standard marching snare head. But im hearing lots of chatter about the Evans Hybrid Marching snare head?

Again, which is a better head? Or is there an even better head than those out there?

Thanks in advanced=]

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pearl vs. Yams/ Remo vs. Evans

Either or, they are both the same drum, they just have a slight diffrence in sound. Go for whichever you want, I would probably pick mine on the color choice and the avaliablity, I want the drum as soon as I can in the color I want. See what kind of deals you can get too, becuase they are both very close, just a slight sound diffrence.

I personally prefer the yamaha sFz, but I know many others who prefer the good old FFX. If you can, maybe look into dynasty also, usually cheaper then pearl and yamaha, and have a unique sound all their own.

And I prefer the white or black max, the nice wet sound, and they feel a whole lot better then the falams. The black max feels slightly less harsh on your hands though, but either is a good choice. And I can't say anything really about the evans hybrid, never used it, the white/blackmax are good for me.

User Info Menu

great, thanks a lot man.
    My section leader forbids me to get a dynasty

hah. His father is the manager at a music store, and hes looking into both snares for me, getting me a good deal. Much cheaper than online. he thinks the Sfz might be a better choice because of the availability of parts.

Man im stuck in the middle.
    Is there any major difference between 13x11 and 14x12?

User Info Menu

Convience, diffrent sound, just like the diffrence between 13 and 14 inch hi-hats, whatever your looking for. If your just going to use a personal snare, and your not really planning on doing anything outside, go for the 13, it dosnt have as big of a sound (easier for your family and neighbors sanity) and it costs about 50 bucks less, jsut enough to get a head (kevlar) that is also going to be cheaper since it is smaller. Its also better for indoor, not so great for outdoor, but still works.

But if your doing competitions outdoor, and you need more projection, the 14 is the way to go. This works better as a line snare because it has a bigger sound, and projects much better, kind of useless in the small indoor enviornment though because it is too loud. And if its private, does it honestly matter what it sounds like?

I would probably go with the 13x11 if I were you, smaller snare, but it has so many more things going for it then a bigger drum. Oh and dont worry about band camp, you will still be heard with a 13.

User Info Menu

well, dont just rule out a practice pad yet, i used to feel the same when i used a vic firth pad, then i tried the aquarian tru-bounce, it has a very clean response like a real drum.

i am not saying dont buy a new snare but i recommend you try out this pad too.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

@ Ch33zz;
    Thanks for your help man =]
    And Zeta, I know what your saying. Im not buying a snare just cause my pad sucks. I love the feel of some other pads.

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    well, dont just rule out a practice pad yet, i used to feel the same when i used a vic firth pad, then i tried the aquarian tru-bounce, it has a very clean response like a real drum.

i am not saying dont buy a new snare but i recommend you try out this pad too.
    what about the remo practice pad I like them

User Info Menu

Nothing can truley replicate the feel of a high tension snare drum, no pad will ever be able to, its rubber against thread. Some can feel VERY close, but never the same.

User Info Menu

Yamaha SFZ with Evans.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."