Thread: Newbie Q

User Info Menu

Default Newbie Q

hey i m new into drumming....abt 4 months and i just got my own kit...

i wanna ask u pros one thing ....do u guys learn a rhythm by its notes 1a 2a etc or do u hear how it is played and play it tht way....i have trouble keeping count so i play by sound...is tht a bad habit ??

plz guide me

User Info Menu

Hi Insane Drummer Sid and welcome to Drum Chat. Congratulations on being a new drummer! To answer your question, most drummers tend to pick things up by ear and then graduate to reading music and learning new rhythms that way. Both are recommended. Once you learn to read music, everything comes so much easier. You can pick up any drumming book or magazine, read the rhythm and just play it. I highly recommend private instruction with a "qualified" teacher. This will help propel you and steer you around bad habits that you might pick up otherwise.

If you don't know about it already, check out Drum Bum's Free Drum Lessons database. There are hundreds of links to free drum lesson material. A lot of great stuff. Also check out DrumTips.com. There's over 1500 tips there for drummers!

Good luck and I hope you'll be a regular contributing member to Drum Chat.
    Let us know if we can help with anything drum related. There are a lot of knowlegeble people here.

User Info Menu

I have the exact same habit. I don't exactly listen to all the music, but mainly the bass and a little guitar. Also, there's a great book i read recently called 'Teach yourself Drums'. I have all sorts of count methods, grip, and everything else, while also teaching you how to read music at the same time.
    "Music is always an experiment."

User Info Menu

thnx drummer and 13drummer

i hv started taking private lessons from a pro drummer...and i will start trying to read music

i think these forums will be very useful to me in the future

thnx again

User Info Menu

No problem man. Best wishes.
    "Music is always an experiment."

User Info Menu

Cool Newbie Q

Cool to hear you're taking lessons from a pro...like drummer says, most drummers pick it up by ear, but the "rudiments" are the building blocks that help you to read music and learn more complicated rhythms than you would by ear alone.

It may be a little tougher at first, but learning to read music helps keep you from picking up bad habits that are hard as heck to unlearn...

Welcome aboard, Insane Drummer Sid...truth is there's a little bit of madness in all of us drummers...we just channel it better than most others!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck