Thread: new to drums + set placement question

User Info Menu

Default new to drums + set placement question

well i decided i want to start drumming like a week ago
    so i started training (no teacher), and i guess there's some improvement. for example, in the first day i bought the pad and sticks i could do paradiddles in rate of only 1/4's on 250bpm, and a day after i moved to 1/8's on 250, and i spend a few time doing endurance excercises. but except for speed and endurance, i want to improve in other areas (better coordination, hmm learn different style beats if it helps). note that i only listen to metal since day one pretty much, guess it doesnt help :(

anyway, as for the question, i was thinking.. how can anyone buy acoustic drums when it makes so much noise? don't people have neighbours? i guess i would have to buy electronic drums... does it help if i place them in a sealed room, like against chemical warfare (lol)?
    well that's it i guess

i like the smilies here

User Info Menu

Default Re: new to drums + set placement question

There's never anything wrong with a big set of acoustic drums, yes you should be curtious of your neighbors, but if you don't live in like apartments or townhouses you can take advantage of your town's noise policy til as late as possible. If you do however I would suggest some e-drums, which are nice too if you get the right ones.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat and drums Hedon. 32 is right, if you live in a house then you can take advantage of the noise policy for your area. My drums have never annoyed any of my neighbours and I usually play in the morning during the week after 9:30am when people are either at work or around lunch time on the weekends.

Question for you if you dont mind. Are you using a metronome to clock your speed at 250bpm? And if you are already playing the paradiddle that fast after only one week, all I got to say is
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

i live in a private house, but there's another house like "attached" to mine so they might whine
    anyway, yes i work only with a metronome because i want to develop my "inner" metronome :D

oh another question, if my biceps are putting effort in any situation it means im doing it wrong right?
    not for the paradiddles, but if i do 1/8's with my right hand on 250bpm i put extreme effort and it doesnt feel like a real blastbeat technique because i cant keep up with it too much
    Last edited by Hedon-; 10-22-2008 at 06:41 AM.

Larrysperf Guest

There are some really good sound offs out there to make your drums very low in sound.

User Info Menu

Living in a house, you should be fine. Yes, your neibor might complain, but you're not going to be over the leagal limit as long as the windows are closed. My son plays his kit while his brother plays his guitar through a full stack turned way up and we've never had a problem. You can hear it outside, but it's not crazy loud, again, if the windows are closed. Just don't play early in the morning or late at night.

User Info Menu

It sounds like you are wanting to run before you can walk as the old saying goes. The #1 rule for a new drummer is, slow and steady, build it up slowly and evenly and check a couple of teqnique video's, its really important that you have the correct grip and wrist/finger action at this stage.
    All the best .

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

I forgot to say welcome, sry bud,
    Plus guy's who have a neighbour issues and refuse to go electronic usually go with practise pads that lay on top of the skins.

Official cowbell hater.

Larrysperf Guest

Theres echo in here lol
    sorry rat

User Info Menu

welcome like they said pick the rught times to play and try and control the volume. Dynamics to me are very important it's easy to play loud try to play soft ! Pearl make cheap mesh head that you can put on your acoustic kit that are very quiet and dampers for the cymbals if needed.

User Info Menu

Welcome to drumming and also drum chat! I'm new to the site here, but not to drumming.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedon- View Post
    i live in a private house, but there's another house like "attached" to mine so they might whine :D
    Face your drums into a wall facing away from the neighbor. If he's on the south side, face your drums north, etc. Every little bit will help, especially if you're "attached"

Quote Originally Posted by Hedon- View Post
    oh another question, if my biceps are putting effort in any situation it means im doing it wrong right?
    Correct. Put the sticks down and pick a book or dvd up. Not being a ssmart a$$, but trust me.... Starting the right way is waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy easier than correcting an old, bad habit.

Stick control is primarily from fingertips and wrist control.

I'm a metal-head, too and I would say get a good drum theory book or vid and go to town. Get one from someone who's been in the biz for a long time, like "Dave Weckl's back to basics". I hope it's still in print because it was awesome.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum, Hedon!

User Info Menu

thanks everyone!
    ive got some more questions:
    if i try to train my leg muscles for bass (right now im doing this by stepping on a pair of old shirts), what muscles should i feel burning in the end of the excercise? i do these derek roddy endurance excercises:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKxKi...eature=related
    on lower speed of course. spare me the "he talks like a robot"
    anyway in the end i feel the very top muscles on my leg, under my waist, is it normal? or should i feel the muscles between the knee and the foot? i do heel up of course

also, i feel like my left hand coordination is inferior to my right hand but thats completely normal right? will my left hand ever be equal to my right hand, or even the best drummers have a superior hand?

User Info Menu

welcome to the forum, but if you get acoustics, just keep it at a reasonable time, and you shouldnt have to worry, unless your neighbor is old. then you have to have some curtusy, and get e-drums.

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

Welcome Hedon. It appears that you learned Paradiddles Rather quick. Are you actually playing 8ths @250? Are all your strokes in time? That sounds really quick for 1 week of playing.

User Info Menu

The best thing that you can do for yourself is to align yourself with a good teacher and get started, from the beginning, in the right direction.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    Welcome Hedon. It appears that you learned Paradiddles Rather quick. Are you actually playing 8ths @250? Are all your strokes in time? That sounds really quick for 1 week of playing.
    yes, is it really considered fast? maybe theres a misunderstanding, im not doing 1/8's with EACH HAND if that might be what you think, lol

and i dont think i can get a teacher now because my army period starts in a month and ill have like 1 day at home/week for the next 3 years

edit: thanks everyone for the comments!

User Info Menu

Welcome to drumchat. Yes that is considered fast, and your left hand will eventually be as good as your right hand if you work at it hard enough. But even pro drummers often still favor their strong hands.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Cool Re: new to drums + set placement question

The Pearl Traveller Kit Gives Ya Mesh Heads For Practice Regular Heads For Playin...They're Portable For Playin A Minimal Kit....Great Option....
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!