Thread: Gene Krupa

Larrysperf Guest

Default Gene Krupa

Why does noone ever talk about Gene Krupa. He was one of the greats

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gene Krupa

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cHr4XQ9SEcg

No need to add anything else really :-P
    "Then when we do... The Afro Cuban... I'm going to go... To my Coooowwwwbell!" - Bernard Purdie

User Info Menu

He was one of the greatest, always lived in Buddy's shadow but was really amazing in his own right!

Larrysperf Guest

Anyone remeber the parradittle song

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Yom View Post
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cHr4XQ9SEcg

No need to add anything else really :-P
    Why'd you post a video of Keith Moon?
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    He was one of the greatest, always lived in Buddy's shadow but was really amazing in his own right!
    He was around before Buddy wasnt he??

Larrysperf Guest

I met him once

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious Stan View Post
    He was around before Buddy wasn't he??
    Yes but Buddy stole the light I believe! Buddy started playing professionally at an early age and was a phenomenon very early. He stole some of Gene's thunder.

User Info Menu

They were conteporaries. Gene was actually murdered at a relatively young age. Buddy lived on up into the 80's. Another monster from that era and still living is Louis Bellson. His chops were easily on Par with Gene and Buddy. There are videos of the three drumming together.

all the best...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I think Buddy was the better drummer but I prefer Gene's style. Does Krupa remind you of anyone DC people???

Give you a clue - He was mad!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    They were conteporaries. Gene was actually murdered at a relatively young age. Buddy lived on up into the 80's. Another monster from that era and still living is Louis Bellson. His chops were easily on Par with Gene and Buddy. There are videos of the three drumming together.

all the best...

Gene Krupa died in 1973 ...heart attack. Buddy Rich died at the age of 70 in 1987...heart failure following brain tumor surgery.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

I stand corrected. I thought Gene met with some kind of misfortune (foul play). perhaps confusing him with someone else.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Gene Krupa

Sal Mineo Who Played Gene In The Movie "Gene Krupa" Was Murdered
    Last edited by PHROGGE; 10-25-2008 at 06:09 PM.
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    HOLA como estas LARRYSPERF MI AMIGO CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) *I have posted VIDS of GENE'S AMAZING CRETIVE ARTISTRY *THAT CAT was Extremmmxxxx SHOWMAN ROJO CALIENTE PERFORMER**Loved his Whole approach within all of HIS very creative artistic ARTISTRY***GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog View Post
    Why'd you post a video of Keith Moon?
    funny man funny.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    Eugene Bertram Krupa was born to Polish parents in Chicago, Illinois. He began playing professionally in the mid 1920s with bands in Wisconsin. He broke into the Chicago scene in 1927, when he was picked by MCA to become a member of "Thelma Terry and Her Playboys", the first notable American Jazz band (outside of all-girl bands) to be led by a female musician. The Playboys were the house band at The Golden Pumpkin nightclub in Chicago and also toured extensively throughout the eastern and central United States.

Krupa made his first recordings in 1927, with a band under the leadership of banjoist Eddie Condon and "fixer" (and sometime singer, who did not appear on the records), Red McKenzie: along with other recordings beginning in 1924 by musicians known in the "Chicago" scene such as Bix Beiderbecke, these sides are examples of white "Chicago Style" jazz. The numbers recorded at that session were: 'China Boy', 'Sugar', 'Nobody's Sweetheart' and 'Liza'. The McKenzie - Condon sides are also notable for being the first records to feature a full drum kit. Eddie Condon describes what happened in the Okeh studio on that day (in 'We Called It Music' - pub: Peter Davis, 1948):

“ Mezzrow (Milton "Mezz" Mezzrow) was helping Krupa set up his drums. 'What are you going to do with those?' Rockwell (Okeh's 'A&R' man in the 1920's) asked. 'Play them,' Krupa said simply. Rockwell shook his head. 'You can't do that,' he said. 'You'll ruin our equipment. All we've ever used on records are snare drums and cymbals.' Krupa, who had been practicing every day at home, looked crushed. 'How about letting us try them?' I asked. 'The drums are the backbone of the band. They hold us up.' I could see that Rockwell was leery of the whole business; drums or no drums, I figured, we are probably going to get tossed out. 'Let the kids try it', McKenzie said. 'If they go wrong I'll take the rap'. I didn't know until long afterwards that Red had guaranteed our pay for the job'...
    Quietly we waited for the playback. When it came, pounding out through the big speaker, we listened stiffly for a moment. We had never been an audience for ourselves...Rockwell came out of the control-room smiling. 'We'll have to get some more of this... (Rockwell nodded towards Krupa): didn't bother the equipment at all,' he said. 'I think we've got something,'.

Krupa also appeared on six recordings made by the Thelma Terry band in 1928.[1].

Krupa studied with Sanford A. Moeller.

In 1929 he moved to New York City and worked with the band of Red Nichols. In 1934 he joined Benny Goodman's band, where his featured drum work — especially on the hit "Sing, Sing, Sing" — made him a national celebrity. In 1938, after a public fight with Goodman at the Earl Theater in Philadelphia, he left Goodman to launch his own band and had several hits with singer Anita O'Day and trumpeter Roy Eldridge. Krupa made a memorable cameo appearance in the 1941 film Ball of Fire, in which he and his band performed an extended version of the hit Drum Boogie.

Gene Krupa Drive in Yonkers, NY
    In 1943, Krupa was arrested for possession of marijuana and was given a 3 month jail sentence.[2] After his release, Krupa reorganized his band with a big string section, featuring Charlie Ventura on sax. It was one of the largest dance bands of the era, sometimes containing up to forty musicians. He gradually cut down the size of the band in the late 1940s, and from 1951 on led a trio or quartet, often featuring the multi-instrumentalist Eddie Shu on tenor sax, clarinet and harmonica. He appeared regularly with the Jazz At the Philharmonic shows.

[edit] Death
    He continued to perform in the 1960s even in famous clubs like the Metropole near Times Square in New York. Krupa retired in the late 1960s, although he occasionally played in public in the early 1970s until shortly before his death from leukemia and heart failure in Yonkers, New York at age sixty-four. He was buried in Holy Cross Cemetery in Calumet City, Illinois.