Thread: drum head help?

User Info Menu

Default drum head help?

Getting back into drumming after 16 years. I got my 30 year old cb700 drum set out. I cant afford a new set so this will have to do, it does not have bottom heads on the toms and i know this is an old way, but as i said, i cant afford new drums right now. The heads are at least 20 years old and sound aweful! What is some good sounding heads for old drums with no bottom heads on the toms? I play metal and rock. Dont want much over ring from the heads. The only head replaced so far is the bass head, it now has an evans and it actually sounds very good, but i have no idea what to get for the toms. They currently have 20 year old remo heads on them.
    HELP!
    thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: drum head help?

If your into metal and you have concert toms, Lars ran Remo Pinstripes on his concert toms up to and including Master Of Puppets.

User Info Menu

mp440-
    Tight budget... Ya might try some attack heads. They're cheap and it will get you back up and running with surprisingly good sound and only a few bucks... ya know the ol sayin, Get what ya pay for... Oh yeah, Welcome to the best drummers forum on the planet!
    Q-Would you buy another one if it were stolen?
    A-Well yeah... But, I'd probly turn into a homicidal maniac first!

User Info Menu

attack heads? is that the brand name? so do they really sound that good?

User Info Menu

Mopower, have you been to a music store lately that has some drums out for demo? most of the stores (if they are good and not locally owned) that work off a corporation have lots of things extra, so they set em up in the showroom. so if you find a set with drum heads that arent stock, give them a try. and Attack im pretty sure are the brand. i have Remo ebony pinstripes, they are Great for rock and metal, if you like those low tones. hope i can help! and welcome to the best forum on ze planet!

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

My first kit was a metallic silver CB-700 kit back in the mid/late 70's. I played the crap out of that thing - LOL! Good times.

Anyway, Attack heads seem cheap to me. If you can afford it, go with Aquarian Performance II's. They'll do EXACTLY what you want.

• 1966 4-piece Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl
    • 2000 8-piece DW Collector's Grey Swirl
    • 2002 8-piece Pearl Masterworks GB Packer Gold
    • 2008 8-piece Tama B&B Lava Glass Glitter
    • Paiste Signature 12, 14, 14, 16, 16, 17, 18, 18, 20, 20, 22
    • Paiste Formula 602 14, 14, 16, 18, 20

User Info Menu

try Evan's G2s or Remo emperors

User Info Menu

I would also add...

Try the Evans hydraulics. I used those years ago on toms that didn't have bottom heads. It's a low flat thud with no overtones.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

mopower I play on a CB SP series. CB drums are not that bad a drum kit Ive had the chance to play on a couple other kits these past few months and I must say there is not that much sound difference between them and Yamaha. That's what both my cousins use. there 1500+ dollar kits. Especially since I replaced all my heads with Remo pinstripes. My hardware is still holding up with zero problems from both my base pedal and cheap hi hat stand.

Remember it is not the instrument that makes the Musician, it is the Musician that makes the instrument.

User Info Menu

hmmm, it has clear remo heads on it right now, they seem to be in good shape still, but they sound like crap. They have been on there for about 20 years though, would that make them sound horrible being so old even though they arent hurt?

User Info Menu

I would replace them. Being old I dunno if that would impact playing/sound. I imagine it might. Have you tried using any tape on them? I did that to mine and it did help kill most of the ring for me. If you use any tape use paint tape. It won't damage the heads or leave residue.

User Info Menu

what do you mean by 'paint tape' and where do you apply it and how much?

User Info Menu

duct tape or gaffa tape as we call it in England can be used to eliminate any nasty ring though if you can get you drums perfectly in tune you may not need it! Go for Remo Pinstripes on the batters.

Are your drums concert toms or have they have the reso heads removed? if the latter is the case it may well be worth putting resos on as this will help your sound no end!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse