Thread: transporting drums

User Info Menu

Exclamation transporting drums

I'm moving my hardware around in a suitcase at the moment, how important is a bag especially for hardware?

User Info Menu

Default Re: transporting drums

Not sure your exact question but I have my hardware in a bag on wheels. I'll never go back to a case. It's much lighter and more convenient now.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I'm not totally clear on what you're asking either. Are you asking which is better, a bag or hard case?

If so, that depends on what you're looking for. As Drummer said, a bag on wheels is much lighter than a hard case. However, if you're transporting your gear a lot, the bag is not intended to stand up to that type of abuse. If you're only occasionally transporting your gear, a bag is fine.

Case in point: I happen to transport gear 3-5 times a week, and I blew out my last Kaces hardware bag in less than 6 months. Cloth doesn't wear like a hard case does. I currently use an SKB molded case for my hardware. It's heavier, yes, but it's virtually indestructible, and it also holds more gear than my soft case did. It has wheels, and handles in multiple places. It also has a lifetime guarantee. However, it's also about 4 times the cost of my old Kaces bag.

So like most drum gear, it all depends on your usage, and what works best for your own unique situation.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

I agree with Norkse on this one. If you are moving your drums regaully, then you must invest in sturdy cases. Bags are fine for occasional moving. I use these - very srong but not sure if they are currently available in the USA.

Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

I use hardcases when I transport my drums in a trailer, etc.

Soft cases when I carry gear in my car (to protect the leather interior).

I have hard cases by Humes & Berg Enduro, XL Specialty Protechtor, and Impact. All foam lined. I like the Impact best for weight-to-strength, but the H&B and XL are bomb-proof.

As for soft cases, I really like the Protection Racket bags. The Cadillac Sacks from drummaker.com are pretty nice, too.

• 1966 4-piece Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl
    • 2000 8-piece DW Collector's Grey Swirl
    • 2002 8-piece Pearl Masterworks GB Packer Gold
    • 2008 8-piece Tama B&B Lava Glass Glitter
    • Paiste Signature 12, 14, 14, 16, 16, 17, 18, 18, 20, 20, 22
    • Paiste Formula 602 14, 14, 16, 18, 20

User Info Menu

I have softcases and they work fine. For my hardware I use an old hockey bag.

User Info Menu

I have been using one of these of almost 12 years. The same one!

DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

I use the Kaces brand hardware transporter that has wheels on one side to roll easily. I find this one piece of storage to be one of the best investments I ever made. It rolls right in and out of gigs easily and loads in my suburban easily. My hardware is all DW 5000 & 9000 series and is super heavy duty so a transporter like this really saves my back!

User Info Menu

ppffffft! cases, you can through em in the back of the old pickup! they'll be fine, lol, its the turns and rolling and fliping you dont want!

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.