Thread: RockBand II: Good practice tool or gimmick?

User Info Menu

Cool RockBand II: Good practice tool or gimmick?

I wonder how many of us have tried playing the drums on the new RockBand II video game? (I'd do it myself but unfortunately, the display kits in Electronics and near the AC/DC clothing displays in you know where seem to be constantly busy!)

I've mentioned in other threads that a good way to practice playing with others is to play along with your own CDs, tapes, or even the radio. But I can't help wondering if someone who plays along with the songs on RockBand II is getting the same benefits I've alluded to:

1) Being ready to change from a slow song to a hard rocker to something else again;
    2) Focusing on dynamics (not only just playing along with the recording but learning when to let up on the drums and when to rock the house);
    3) Having a familiarity with a song or song set that could be useful on stage.

Seems to me, however, most of the wannabe drummers I've heard playing the drums on RockBand II seem to have just one level...THRASH...

Have you played the drums on RockBand II? If you have, how do you feel it helped (or maybe didn't help) you?
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: RockBand II: Good practice tool or gimmick?

i herd that one of the new rock band games supports other e-kits thro midi

User Info Menu

I think that's Guitar Hero World Tour you're thinking of Itchie. I've a;ready given my two cents on RockBand... I don't think it matters how much of a professional you are and look down upon it because it's not the real thing, the fact is that I've seen people go for total rhythmic misfits to intermediate players in a matter of weeks due to RockBand's setup, so it's proven itself.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

The guitar version doesn't help a guitarist at all. It's nothing like the real thing. As to the drumming part, I don't know if it's good practice or not, but the one outstanding drummer that I personally know is a ringer on that thing.

User Info Menu

My neighbor has Rock Band and I was pretty impressed, I think it is a pretty decent learning tool for a beginner. Most of the songs are a pretty basic 4/4 rock beat and you could easily take what you do in the game and put it on the kit. We did the whole set list one night and I can definitely say that I got one hell of a workout.

User Info Menu

I dunno. I've never played it, but I struggled in guitar Hero III because I'd go with the feel of the song, and that is not necessarily where the colored bits are. Once I got into medium it started to match the time better, but easy was kind of a PITA because of that.
    Last edited by CycleDude; 10-28-2008 at 11:56 AM.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

I have never played these games. If they would make it instructional, like learning timing, independence, and rudiments, I am sure it would be a great learning tool.

User Info Menu

I have never played these games. If they would make it instructional, like learning timing, independence, and rudiments, I am sure it would be a great learning tool.
    This is a great idea, and I'm guessing it will probably be on the market shortly, if it isn't already. The technology is there, now if someone would just program it to rudiments etc. it would be a great learning tool. Its basically karaoke tablature.