Thread: Percussion Setups

User Info Menu

Default Percussion Setups

I went to the Texas Rennaisance Festival this weekend, and there was this little gypsy band playing there. The drummer had one of the coolest setups I've seen in a long time. He had all of his hand percussion setup like a drumset. Where the snare would go he had a large djembe that he strattled, which he used most of the time. He used a big african dun dun as a bassdrum, and was playing a tambourine on the other foot. He also had 3 different sized dumbeks setup as his toms on a custom built rack that he had. He was also using a few Sabian El Sabor hand crash cymbals. I wanted to play around with his kit so bad! I wish I had a picture of it.

Is anyone using a setup similar to this?

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Percussion Setups

Google "bongodoggie" and you'll discover a California guy who plays what he calls his "primitive roots kit" (it was featured on the last page of the September 2008 Modern Drummer)...the set-up you describe sounds pretty similar to that!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: Percussion Setups

Ahh yes, I believe you gave me a link to some of his videos, such a cool setup!

User Info Menu

Yeah, now that you mention it, I did...

Actually, yesterday (Wednesday) I came across another conga player who has his drums set up differently than most...

This dude's only played congas for about two years, but he sounds pretty darn good already... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbfzm...eature=related

Give him a listen and you'll notice the difference!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Slippin' Into Darkness! Great song! Not sure what your seeing setup differently here though Bongobro? His congas are setup pretty traditionally, am I missing something? Either way, cool video, his congas sound great, not too flashy but pretty solid for 2 years playing.

User Info Menu

I just added a sweet little '60s 14x20 round badge Gretsch kick to my setup today. I can wear my name tag proudly again as I venture back to my favorite drum company once again . I posted a want ad on CL for a 18" kick, but didn't get many emails unfortunately. I saw this 20" pop up today for $275, offered the guy $200 and met him 20 minutes later to pick it up. It ended up being a good size and fit nicely into my setup. The sound is just beautiful, as expected with any vintage gretsch drum. Its a sweet wrap too, blue glass glitter, looks pretty hip! Not a collectors piece by any means, but an excellent looking player for sure.

I was having a blast playing congas with the new kick incorporated and came up with some really hip stuff. It really adds a lot of depth to the groove. Hopefully I can get my shakere pedal up and running correctly tomorrow. I also need to get my bells mounted somewhere as well. Anyways, sorry for the ramble, just thought I'd share the progress of my percussion setup. I'll try to get some pics up of my new kick tomorrow.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

That looks terrific, Man. good for you. I bet that bass drum has a full and rounded tone. Gretsch drums of that period were fantastic...and this is coming from a Ludwig man of the same time era.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Cool setup, Gretschhead...must admit it might be a bit of a stretch from the quinto to the conga, but it looks like you've got it cookin'! I might have set my conga on the left and my tumba on the right of the bass, but if it works for you, rock 'em out!

Charlie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post

Very cool! The throne look pretty comfortable too!
    L4C

User Info Menu

If you put Remo fiber-skyn heads on the bass drum you will find that they approximate the tonal quality of the congas.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Thanks for the compliments guys...

must admit it might be a bit of a stretch from the quinto to the conga
    bongobro, when I play I straddle the conga and have it tilted slightly away from me, the Tumba ends up being right next to the conga, so it really isn't much of a stretch at all. The super tumba (when I find it) will go to the left of the tumba, forming a triangle.

If you put Remo fiber-skyn heads on the bass drum you will find that they approximate the tonal quality of the congas.
    I will probably do that, it needs a new head anyways, thanks kay-gee

User Info Menu

I sometimes use a drumset-like set for acoustic gigs. Remo Djembe in a basket conga stand where a snare goes, Remo Trilok kick/conga on my right foot. HiHat on the left. Ride cymbal above the kick/conga and bongos or 2 LP compact congas (rim/head only) in front of the djembe, remo mondo snare to the left of the hihats, I'll take a pic next time I put it together.

User Info Menu

More to come!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

Good start, BongoCajon!

Charlie

User Info Menu