Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you could spend $800 on a snare drum - what would you buy and why?

User Info Menu

Default If you could spend $800 on a snare drum - what would you buy and why?

If you had this amount to spend on a special snare drum - what would you buy and why?

Just curious - hopefully we'll see some interesting choices.

I picked $800 because it's nicely under $1,000 and there should be some pretty good drums out there for that amount.

Cheers,

Kona

ThePloughman Guest

Default Re: If you could spend $800 on a snare drum - what would you buy and why?

Rogers 1965 Powertone, 5x14, Red Wine Ripple. .......It will be on the way soon as the post office finds my payment, or refunds me.

And its beautiful.

User Info Menu

Default Re: If you could spend $800 on a snare drum - what would you buy and why?

id get a custom made brass from sjc
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Ludwig Black Beauty from the 70s.
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Probably a Reference Snare
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    Ludwig Black Beauty from the 70s.
    +1

Engraved Black Beauty, if you can find one that cheap.

• 1966 4-piece Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl
    • 2000 8-piece DW Collector's Grey Swirl
    • 2002 8-piece Pearl Masterworks GB Packer Gold
    • 2008 8-piece Tama B&B Lava Glass Glitter
    • Paiste Signature 12, 14, 14, 16, 16, 17, 18, 18, 20, 20, 22
    • Paiste Formula 602 14, 14, 16, 18, 20

User Info Menu

I think it depends on where you are in your snare collection. If you have a bunch of great snares then $800.00?
    I would be looking at:
    • Ludwig:
    • Black Beauty
    • Exotics
  8. Brady
  9. Craviotto
  10. DW

11. These are just off the top of my head

If you are just getting going then you are looking at the abilty to pick up 2 or maybe 3 great must have snares like a Ludwig Supraphonic and a few nice wood ones.
DW Collectors
Vintage Superstars
Roland TD-20
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

User Info Menu

Without sounding sarcastic, my first "knee jerk" reaction would be to find two really nice $400 snares.

Discounting that, I highly recommend a TAMA Warlord Masai. I own/have owned everything from steel to Maple to bubinga. In my personal side by side comparisons, nothing sounds as good as the Masai. Tune low and it tremors, tune it high and it pops. At all register levels the rim shot is cutting but not dominating.

Plus, it's a beautiful drum and comes with a top of the line solid hard case for transporting.

I've found as nice of snare drums in that price range but none came with the hard case.

Dollar for dollar value I can't find a better investment. JMHO!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Without sounding sarcastic, my first "knee jerk" reaction would be to find two really nice $400 snares.

Discounting that, I highly recommend a TAMA Warlord Masai. I own/have owned everything from steel to Maple to bubinga. In my personal side by side comparisons, nothing sounds as good as the Masai. Tune low and it tremors, tune it high and it pops. At all register levels the rim shot is cutting but not dominating.

Plus, it's a beautiful drum and comes with a top of the line solid hard case for transporting.

I've found as nice of snare drums in that price range but none came with the hard case.

Dollar for dollar value I can't find a better investment. JMHO!
    Good one Bish!

*Sorry Kona, but I had to take out the commercial link. The forum rules don't allow them - PB*

I'll be checking it out for sure.

Lots of good drums here everyone.

Excellent replies ! keep them coming.......please.

User Info Menu

DW 7"x14" 10 & 6 maple snare drum.

Or Vintage Ludwig Black Beauty, if one could be had for around that price!
    Last edited by backtodrum; 10-29-2008 at 10:25 AM.

User Info Menu

Definitely a 6.5x14 Black Beauty, I'd look for a 70s B/O badge to match my set.

User Info Menu

I would never pay $800 for a snare.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Me neither. I own a $1000 snare drum (MSRP) but I only paid $450 for it. If I were looking at an $800 snare, I would expect to buy it for around $350. And there ARE plenty of deals out there if you look hard enough.

My local drum shop has at least 20 snares on display priced between $140 and $400.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

I too would go for 2 maybe 3 different snares for the money

Larrysperf Guest

Black B or a used Neil Peart sinature DW.

User Info Menu

My choice , if I had the 800 bucks..........I would spend the money on building a custom snare .

Get the size I want , the finish I want , the hoops I want , the hardware I want , the wires I want , and the satifaction of enjoying what I just put together .

Maybe even have some of that mulla left over for other toys .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    Me neither. I own a $1000 snare drum (MSRP) but I only paid $450 for it. If I were looking at an $800 snare, I would expect to buy it for around $350. And there ARE plenty of deals out there if you look hard enough.

My local drum shop has at least 20 snares on display priced between $140 and $400.
    What you could do is take the $800 and buy a very special $2,000 + snare. I think you should be able to get your money's worth then - right?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    My choice , if I had the 800 bucks..........I would spend the money on building a custom snare .

Get the size I want , the finish I want , the hoops I want , the hardware I want , the wires I want , and the satifaction of enjoying what I just put together .

Maybe even have some of that mulla left over for other toys .

YES !

User Info Menu

Yesterday I responded to this thread without really reading all of the posted comments. Today I have read them all just to see what everyones opinions were on this subject, I find it interesting that allot of you like me want a vintage Ludwig black beauty too.

User Info Menu

There's an outfit called Joyful Noise that is making some pretty sweet snares with awesome engraving. Just saw them at Fork's Drum Closet the other day, and at $1,300 retail, it would probably fit into this category.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I think I would go for a black Panther. I know there are better drums out there but for some reason I really like the sound of those.
    Last edited by TURTLINATOR; 11-01-2008 at 11:52 AM. Reason: really has an a in it.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

id try for a custom 13 x 7 maple or birch or bubinga

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

Spaun Swiss cheese edgevent snare... might be a lil/lot over $800 not sure... but looks amazing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    X2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    X2
    Then - with the money - buy 2, 3 or 4 snare drums..........say some really nice 10 and 13 inch drums and maybe a a few 14" one that you like - mix it up.

$900 will buy some nice equipment -right?

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast