Thread: I miss the skins :(

User Info Menu

Default I miss the skins :(

I haven't slapped any skin in probably 6 months and I'm really missing it . I got rid of my congas last feb. and started focusing on drumset more, but lately I've been really regretting it. I really love playing set, but I think my heart belongs to the conga, thats probably why I like hanging out in this section of the forum more.

I'm playing on a mis-matched 70s ludwig kit that I planed to recover, but now I'm considering saving the hassel and $$ of recovering and just selling off the toms and buying some new congas instead. That way I can still lay down some grooves on the kick and snare and be able to afford what I truly love to play most. So now I just need to find a sweet deal on some used congas. Hmm I wonder what I'll look for... suggestions?

User Info Menu

Default Re: I miss the skins :(

It does get under your skin, doesn't it! Hey, all that's happened is that you've had a moment of clarity, and now you see the way forward. Since I'm hand slappin' an LP Aspire set up, I won't even try to weigh in on what you should get! Good luck on finding your congas GH.

BTW, I'm pretty sure you won't find Gretsch congas!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Nope no gretsch congas, they did make some killer timbales tho in the 50s and 60s. A set of vintage gon bops would be my pick of choice, but finding them is not easy, and usually pretty pricey. There is a single posted on my local craigslist for $450 which is more than I'd like to spend on a 2 set. Some LP matadors or classics are probably what I'll look for in my price range.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: I miss the skins :(

Good luck findin' ANY Gon Bops, Gretschhead...the old ones are almost the '57 Chevies of the hand drum world...and the new ones are maybe the '09 Mustangs...

Assuming they haven't been too badly abused, you can't go wrong with any used LP congas...make sure you can test 'em before you buy 'em!

Hope ya start slappin' the skins again soon, bro'...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Hi, Gretchhead!

My bongos are LP Aspire. Despite the low cost, they were virtually flawless when they arrived. Beautiful heavy Siam oak with shiny steel hardware that worked perfectly. I'd recommend going with the natural finish, because flawed wood is usually headed for the drums that will be stained, etc.; i.e., the natural finish lets all the flaws show up, so it's the type that will receive the best wood. The heads are rather worn out now after 3+ years of being played, but when they were new everyone thought their sound was fantastic. They might lack the prestige of many other product lines, but I think the Aspire line in general is great - definitely the most bang for your buck, of the options out there. I really doubt you'd be disappointed, if you bought LP Aspire congas.

User Info Menu

The LP Aspire line is pretty nice for who it is marketed for, which is beginner/intermediate players. They are well constructed and a great bang for the buck if you are just getting into the congas, or not serious about giging or anything like that. There are a few key things about them that would deter me from ever buying them however. First of all the sizes are not traditional which could make finding heads a problem. LP obviously produces heads specifically for aspire, but they are very thin water buffalo, which is highly inferior to calf skin in sound and durability. Although they use the same wood as the higher end Classics, they use a much thinner shell construction which affects the tone and projection. The hardware is not as strong/thick as the higher end lines and cranking a drum up to where I like it sometimes can damage the shell or lugs. And lastly, just personal preference, I can't stand the comfort curve rims, they create a ringing noise that drives me insane, and playing slaps on a traditional rim is just way easier in my opinion. Like I said, that one is personal preference, most people would prefer the comfort curve. I must say that the Aspire line is by far the leading begginner drums, my first set was Toca Player's series, and Aspire blows them out of the water.

Things that I will be looking for will be traditional sizes, being 30" tall and head sizes 11", 11 3/4" and 12 1/2", sturdy hardware, and preferably a traditional rim. I'll tuck my own mule skins on whatever I end up getting.

User Info Menu

I definitely cant knock the Aspire congas, my buddy has an old pair all beat up with the black hardware that he never detunes and they sound great. It’s the pair that when people see them, they just have to sit down and go to town on them. Sometimes when I’m messing around on them I swear they slap better than my Lp Gio’s. The best thing about Aspires is the resale value, their better than most congas dollar per dollar. As far congas go for someone who’s not a beginner but is a little low on cash, you can’t beat used! Matador’s, Classics, Meinl or what ever you can get your hand on for cheap as long as their not cracked. Even if the heads are bad, you can always re skin or replace for just a little more. On another note: we had some rain here on the west coast and it seems all my conga heads absorbed the moisture from the humidity. Even when I tune it’s just not right so for the winter I’m replacing all with Nuskyn’s and when spring comes around I will put back the real skins.

Keep on jammin!
    L4C

User Info Menu

The best thing about Aspires is the resale value, their better than most congas dollar per dollar.
    This is very true luv4. I see these go used for basically what they sell for new at guitar center or musicians friend. I didn't mean to come off sounding like I'm knocking the Aspires. They are excellent drums for the money, and certainly meet the standards of most players. As a seasoned conga player and someone who is looking to gig with them, I'm just after a more professional line. I should also mention that I have never owned a set of Aspires, only played them at stores or at other players houses.

As far congas go for someone who’s not a beginner but is a little low on cash, you can’t beat used! Matador’s, Classics, Meinl or what ever you can get your hand on for cheap as long as their not cracked.
    These are probably what I'll be looking at, however I've been looking at the gon bops california series all day today and man they are really appealing. Currently out of my price range, but I'm tempted to ditch some of my other gear and splurge on them. Wish I could find a used set of them.

User Info Menu

***UPDATE*** Found a killer deal on CL for a LP Classic conga and tumba $300!!! I hope they last until I can pull together some scratch.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    ***UPDATE*** Found a killer deal on CL for a LP Classic conga and tumba $300!!! I hope they last until I can pull together some scratch.
    Man, thats a good deal! Around here when a deal like that comes along on CL people jump on them like hyenas as soon a it's posted! Good luck Gretschhead and keep us posted.

Thanks,
    L4C

User Info Menu

I'm actually going to have to road trip a little ways for them if I do get them. A couple deals I thought I had set up today fell through... typical So I'm set back until payday or some of my gear sells. I'll probably miss out on them, but oh well there are plenty of deals out there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scruffyeagle View Post
    Hi, Gretchhead!

My bongos are LP Aspire. Despite the low cost, they were virtually flawless when they arrived. Beautiful heavy Siam oak with shiny steel hardware that worked perfectly...They might lack the prestige of many other product lines, but I think the Aspire line in general is great - definitely the most bang for your buck, of the options out there. I really doubt you'd be disappointed, if you bought LP Aspire congas.
    The LP Aspire series is an upgrade of the old CP (Cosmic Percussion). Having played my black fiberglass CP congas for over 20 years and my red wood CP congas for six years, both sets are my workhorse congas and they still sound darn good after all the pounding I've given them!

...first of all the sizes are not traditional which could make finding heads a problem...The hardware is not as strong/thick as the higher end lines and cranking a drum up to where I like it sometimes can damage the shell or lugs...I can't stand the comfort curve rims, they create a ringing noise that drives me insane, and playing slaps on a traditional rim is just way easier in my opinion...
    Same prob with the CPs, Gretschhead, as you've seen in my trials and tribulations getting a replacement head for my black CP quinto...My black CPs have comfort curve rims as do the bongos, but my red CPs and my Remo tumba have traditional rims...the comfort curves are cool for a beginner, but as you learn to really play congas, the traditional rims have it all over the others!

L4C, I've never really detuned my heads--which to a conga man is playin' Russian Roulette--but until the head split on the quinto, I hadn't lost a head...even my drum teacher buddy said I was way overdue for replacement! I agree on the sound quality of the Aspires. I took a drum lesson tonight on a two-year-old pair of Aspire Accents and they slapped great, man! I wouldn't mind havin' the Gios, but it's like driving a Cadillac when you're cool with drivin' your old reliable Chevy! Keep on jammin', bro'!

P. S. Gretschhead, with your knowledge and experience, you'll be slappin' a killer set of congas before too long!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Bongo Bro, for me detuning congas is something I do to help the thread count on the lugs last a little longer but like you say your drum heads lasted 20 years i guess it doesn't make that much difference. I usually just back them off a 1/2 turn when I'm done. I got to tell ya, every now and then I like to switch my heads on my congas. I had another set of congas that I could not find another heads to fit no matter what but with LP Matadors, Classics or Gio's I have no problems. I have hand picks, 2 types of cow and Nuskyns. every a few months I switch heads and its like having a new set of congas. And I've bought all my drums used, sold quit a few too. Gretschhead Keep your hopes up, another good set will come along but you have to be vigilant with CL.
    Keep on Jammin!
    L4C

User Info Menu

Bongo Bro, for me detuning congas is something I do to help the thread count on the lugs last a little longer but like you say your drum heads lasted 20 years i guess it doesn't make that much difference. I usually just back them off a 1/2 turn when I'm done.
    This is a good habit to get into. It takes a lot of tension to make a piece of cow skin sound tight, and having all that tension on the lugs and shell can definitely shorten the life of your drums or hardware. It can also increase the life of the head, but like bongobro and luv4 both said, a good head can last a lifetime either way. The best head I've ever had was a 30 year old original cow skin on an old gon bops conga I used to have.

User Info Menu

The search is over! I have a set of 70's Oak Gon Bops, conga and tumba, on the way to my house!

User Info Menu

The search is over! I have a set of 70's Oak Gon Bops, conga and tumba, on the way to my house!

Holy Smoke! Those are awsome! Wow I bet thier gonna sound awsome!
    It must feel like it's Christmas
    L4c

User Info Menu

Holy Smoke! Those are awsome! Wow I bet thier gonna sound awsome!
    It must feel like it's Christmas
    L4c
    Indeed it does, I can't wait until they show up . I was afraid I was going to loose out on them, but the guy accepted my offer before anyone did the buy it now. They appear to be in pretty awesome shape, but they both have minor splits in the staves which will be a piece of cake to fix with a little epoxy and some ratchet straps. The heads are original from gon bops, so they will be quality and supprisingly aren't stretched to the limit. I usually see these drums with a stack of washers on each lug because the head has been stretched so far. I've owned a few gon bops in the past and the oak models are by far my favorite. The sound is alot warmer with little overtone. I'll post some more pics when they arrive.

User Info Menu

You're not gonna miss the skins anymore! They look killer and I bet they're gonna sound awesome after you do the work on them! Brother, I am ENVIOUS!!! Congrats--

Play 'em loud and play 'em proud!

Charlie

User Info Menu

Play 'em loud and play 'em proud!
    You know I will brother! The guy told me Fedex said Thursday delivery, I can't wait!

User Info Menu

Re detuning, dudes:

One thing I guess that's helped me with my congas is that they're not hauled in and out all the time. The set I keep at church is in a fairly stable environment as far as temps and humidity go; the black fiberglass CPs detune themselves automatically (not bad lugs, just fluctuations in temperature and moisture. In over 20 years I've only cross-threaded one lug (and that was more lack of lug lube than anything else)...make darn sure you have your Lug Lube with you at all times!

Charlie

User Info Menu

Exclamation Re: Gon Bops & epoxy

Indeed it does, I can't wait until they show up . I was afraid I was going to loose out on them, but the guy accepted my offer before anyone did the buy it now. They appear to be in pretty awesome shape, but they both have minor splits in the staves which will be a piece of cake to fix with a little epoxy and some ratchet straps. The heads are original from gon bops, so they will be quality and supprisingly aren't stretched to the limit. I usually see these drums with a stack of washers on each lug because the head has been stretched so far. I've owned a few gon bops in the past and the oak models are by far my favorite. The sound is alot warmer with little overtone. I'll post some more pics when they arrive.
    Hi, Gretschhead!

Glad you found want you really wanted! I think, though, that using epoxy is a very wrong move. The proper product to use is Carpenter's Wood Glue. I can tell you from personal experience, that there's nothing better. I assembed a guitar neck onto guitar body, building a Les Paul kit, using Carpenter's Wood Glue sometime around 1980. I played it till the frets wore out. I still have it, and that neck is still as solid as a rock. My bongos slid off the car trunk, hit the garage floor, and both drums cracked (about 2 years ago). I used Carpenter's Wood Glue & clamping, and they're as solid as new now. No change at all in sound, that I could find. Glue it with Carpenter's Wood Glue, clamp it, and let it sit for a couple of days clamped. After that, the wood will break before the glue bond ever does. Good luck! And, enjoy!

User Info Menu

Good Morning All!

I have been playing for a little more than a year now. My wonderful and supportive husband has blessed me with a kit and a variety of hand drums. My heart belongs to the skins. There is just something very primal and satisfying about the sound and feel. I have used a combo of CD's and one on one lessons that now seem to be going somewhere. Above all, it is fun.

Blessings to all,
    DrummerLady (Chris)

User Info Menu

Welcome to the board DrummerLady! Always great to see new faces on the board, especially the Percussion section, what can I say I'm bias towards the skins . There are alot of seasoned skin slappers on here with some years of knowledge, so feel free to come to us for help or tips or questions of any kind.

Glad you found want you really wanted! I think, though, that using epoxy is a very wrong move. The proper product to use is Carpenter's Wood Glue.
    Thanks for the tip scruffy, I actually have some carpenters glue left over from a cajon project that I never finished, and you're right nothing could pull that stuff apart.