Thread: problem tuning

User Info Menu

Default problem tuning

Hello,
    I just bought new heads for my kit. All are Remo pinstripe except the snare(Powerstroke3) and the bass is an Aquarian Super Kick. Here is the problem... I use a drum dial tuner and keep the heads between 70 and 75 depending. The heads today either have so much overtone that I would send our sound guy over the edge or they sound like the shell is full of sand. Any suggestions?

User Info Menu

Default Re: problem tuning

Moongel??

Larrysperf Guest

I use moongels on mine & it works. Just experament.Sorry this isnt much, I like a nice low controled sound so I dont have much trouble with my heads. Evans EC2, Powerstroke 11

User Info Menu

Okay... First Suggestion Was Don't Mess With The Bassist Trying To Learn Drums And, Moongel?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ignoring Daniel View Post
    Okay... First Suggestion Was Don't Mess With The Bassist Trying To Learn Drums And, Moongel?
    Yep, I think that pretty much covers it.

It sounds like you've been using a Drum Dial for awhile, so you know that it's only to get you close to where you need to be, and takes tweaking from there, right?
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Yes, I set them as I think they should be, you know 70 all they way around,etc,etc. then tune the rest by ear. This is the first time it is as dramatic as it is. It's as if some of the heads are single ply and the rest are oil filled doubles.

User Info Menu

If this helps you out any, type your question into the search navigation bar above. I have seen this topic at least 4 times this month. Welcome to Drum Chat! IG-Daniel!

User Info Menu

Yes, I set them as I think they should be, you know 70 all they way around,etc,etc. then tune the rest by ear. This is the first time it is as dramatic as it is. It's as if some of the heads are single ply and the rest are oil filled doubles.
    I think youve answered your own question , I think you just need to tune by ear now ,a little at a time till you get to what sounds good to your ear .

Welcome to the board , good luck with the tuning .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    If this helps you out any, type your question into the search navigation bar above. I have seen this topic at least 4 times this month. Welcome to Drum Chat! IG-Daniel!
    There's another brand out ther called Buzz Kill. I thought that was a pretty funny name.

User Info Menu

Pinstripes don't have oil between them.
    It appears this way, however this is just the appearance of twin ply heads touching.

The only heads that DO have oil between them are the Evans Hydraulic range.

User Info Menu

I suggest you go with Remo powerstroke heads on all drums they have the dampening ring built in and are easy to tune and get the sound you want that is what I use and they sound amazing

User Info Menu

Your tuning to low for micing. with properly tuned reso and batter head you'd be suprised with the punch from higher tuning. I actually put my DrumDial in the closet, nothing compares to proper seating and ears

Check out the Drum Bible
    http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/

I like the Evans O's over moongell for tom dampening, I like weatherstripping better than the others
    Last edited by Cant Get Enough; 10-31-2008 at 01:41 AM.

User Info Menu

Thank you all for the help.

User Info Menu

Detune one lug.

• 1966 4-piece Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl
    • 2000 8-piece DW Collector's Grey Swirl
    • 2002 8-piece Pearl Masterworks GB Packer Gold
    • 2008 8-piece Tama B&B Lava Glass Glitter
    • Paiste Signature 12, 14, 14, 16, 16, 17, 18, 18, 20, 20, 22
    • Paiste Formula 602 14, 14, 16, 18, 20

User Info Menu

I bought a DrumDial last Saturday and this Saturday it is going back. Since I bought my 7 piece Yamaha kit, I thought I would make life a little easier tuning and changing heads so I bought one to try. For some reason the Yamaha tension rods are a bit difficult to turn by hand when hand tightening the rods against the rims. If you can do it by ear, that's your best bet. Since I didn't have much success I asked my girlfriend to give it a try. It took Wanda over an hour monkeying around with the DrumDial to replace four batter heads on my Pearl kit and it wasn't the sound I wanted anyway. She tore the heads back off and tuned them by hand and ear in about twenty minutes, pure musical tones. After tuning drums by ear for 48 years, I guess I'll never find a better mousetrap.

Dennis

User Info Menu

Dennis, I do tend to agree that tuning by ear is the best. I do cheat just a little myself, though, because I use an Evans Torque Key to do that initial tightening. Once that's done, I go by ear for the fine tuning. The Torque Key does keep all the lugs near the same tension whenever I'm retuning from scratch.

I don't want to be "Ignoring Daniel" here though. I know you said that you went between 70 and 75 all around, and I am assuming that this is for the batter heads. Did you use the same settings on the resonant heads? If so, you might try raising (or lowering) the tension on the resonant head a bit to see if that helps get you the sound you're looking for with the pinstripes.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!