Thread: Evans EC Reso Head

User Info Menu

Default Evans EC Reso Head

Hi Everyone, I have the Mapex M-Birch Fusionese 6 piece in Trans Cherry red. I am searching for new heads and it looks to me like the EC2 is a popular batter. I was checking out the Evans site and see they have a matching EC reso head also, but I've never seen any posts about them. Have any of you heard any reviews, it seems like a perfect combo to me. Thanks.
    Mapex Saturn, Cherry Sparkle, 6 piece Studioese

Black Panther Cherry/Maple

Sabian AA cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Evans EC Reso Head

It's all a matter of personal preference and using what's available to get that sound you want out of your drumkit. If you were to put new EC2's on your kit and you found that you were almost getting the sound you wanted from your kit but your resonant heads were rining a little too much for your taste then the Reso's just might be your ticket. But remember, what works on one shell type may not work on another. I'd get the new batters first then go from there. I just bought a new set of Catalina Maples and I didn't even bother with the stock batters. I just installed new EC2's from the get go. I also considered buying new resonant heads but I decided to give the stock heads a try first and if I didn't like them THEN I could spend the extra cash. I'm glad I didn't because I like the combination of EC2's over the regular single ply stock heads. The EC2 batters give me the rich, deep tone I like with a little bit of overtone dampening while the single ply resonant heads provide the drums with a smooth decay with a full spectrum of good overtones. My point is I think if I had gone with EC2's on top and EC Reso's then the drums perhaps wouldn't sing the way I have them now. However if I had gone with just a clear G2 and a clear singl ply resonant then the drums would probably ring a little too much for my taste. It all comes back to personal preference and you gotta know what kind of sound you're looking for from your batters BUT you also gotta know what sound you want your resonant heads to produce as well.

User Info Menu

Whichever you select, the reso should be no thicker than the batter, preferably thinner.
    I've used the Remo counter part...coated Pin Stripes as batter with coated single ply as reso. I've recently changed the heads to Coated single ply Ambassadors with clear Diplomat as the reso.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    Thanks 2slow, I'm going to have to spend more time researching on YouTube, that was a perfect demonstration of what I wanted. I think I'll try it on my 10" and see how much snare ring I get.
    Mapex Saturn, Cherry Sparkle, 6 piece Studioese

Black Panther Cherry/Maple

Sabian AA cymbals