Thread: Need Drum Opinions

User Info Menu

Default Need Drum Opinions

My name is Matt and I'm 16 btw. I am new to the forums and I have been drumming for about 3 years now. I have started to get more serious with drumming too. I've been looking into getting a new drum set for awhile now and done research ext. ext. blah blah blah. So as we know not all of us have gillions for dollars to spend on a drum set and I just want a decent drum. I have really been looking at three specific drum sets lately, they are
    the
    Sonor eXtreme Force 20 Drum Set.

The Mapex M Birch 5-Piece Fusionease Drum Set.

and the Sonor Special Edition Rock22 5-Piece Drum Kit

some reasons I like the Sonor eXtreme force because it has 4 toms and it comes in white and I love white drum sets.
    I like the mapex M because it has 4 toms and many finishes to choose from and there nice and it comes with Remo heads.
    I like the Sonor Special edition because of the 2 floor toms and I like the appeal of it too.
    Those a some reasons why I like each, I don't want to into more detail ext ext.

I would like some opinions from ya'll what you think and your experiance with each brand.
    Thanks for ya'lls help
    (I have already posted this topic on another forum but not an replys, so I though I would post this on this forum, the more peoples opinions the better.)
    Last edited by su_admin; 10-28-2008 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Removed commercial links. They are not permitted in Drumchat.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need Drum Opinions

Hi Matt, welcome to Drum Chat! I am guessing from your choice of drum kits that you are one of our international brothers. From what I saw of the kits on the internet, I would lean toward the Mapex M Birch kit as what appears to be the best quality kit. Of the 3 you listed, it's the only one that I have any experience with. I would say that if you have access to Gretsch drums, I would seriously consider the Gretsch Catalina kits. I have a Catalina Maple kit, and I am extremely happy with the warm sound of the maple. The Catalina series kits go for $500-$600 for a 6 piece shell pack here in the U.S.

Hope this helps, and again welcome!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

welcome mate - Cant go wrong with the Mapex or as PB suggests the Grestch Catalina
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

First of all welcome to the forum. You will find this to be a great bunch of people.

My suggestion is to go play anything and everything in your price range. Let your ears help you decide. Remember heads are easily changed. I know being 16 it may take a while to save up the money but do not base a drum purchase on the heads. Also do not rule out used. I am sure that in the same price range there are many great used kits available.

Don't be in to much of a hurry and buy something you will regret in a month, be sure.

Oh and have fun!
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    First of all welcome to the forum. You will find this to be a great bunch of people.

My suggestion is to go play anything and everything in your price range. Let your ears help you decide. Remember heads are easily changed. I know being 16 it may take a while to save up the money but do not base a drum purchase on the heads. Also do not rule out used. I am sure that in the same price range there are many great used kits available.

Don't be in to much of a hurry and buy something you will regret in a month, be sure.

Oh and have fun!
    This is the best advice. Go try some, dont rush into it. There are a lot of great sets out there & nothing wrong with used.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post

Oh and have fun!
    HOLA como estas RMANDELBAUM* MI AMIGO CREATIVE ARTISTIC OPEN MINDED DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) EXCELLENTE' GREAT advice **amigo
    Gracias

User Info Menu

Make sure it's in tune before you try them. I've heard some great sounding kits sound like crap because the setup guy didn't know how or was influenced not to tune it properly. (mabye pushing some other product, cause some other sales items were tuned right) Damn G-Center. Check the toughness and quality of hardware and mounts which usually determines quality.

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone for there opinion. I think I'm going twards getting mapex drum kit.

User Info Menu

I think if you do, the 2 of you will be very happy together! They make great sets (OK, not a Gretsch, but still great LOL).
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Oh I wish I could have a Gretsch. They're awesome drum sets, a buddy of mine has a Catalina black widow.

User Info Menu

Dont worry - Mapex are a damm fine make!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Hey DrummerMJP!

I have owned 2 Mapex M Birch kits, and they're awesome drums! Lots of punch and attack, and the hardware is double braced and extremely sturdy. I also believe Mapex has some of the most gorgeous finishes available.

They advertise "Best Bang for the Buck" and I totally agree. They also offer outstanding customer service should you need them. It's an all-around great choice in my book!
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

I have notice that the quailty of the Mapex kits is great. They have some amazing finishes and the hardware looks great too. It reminds me of what TAMA was doing in the 80s
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    Hey DrummerMJP!

I have owned 2 Mapex M Birch kits, and they're awesome drums! Lots of punch and attack, and the hardware is double braced and extremely sturdy. I also believe Mapex has some of the most gorgeous finishes available.

They advertise "Best Bang for the Buck" and I totally agree. They also offer outstanding customer service should you need them. It's an all-around great choice in my book!

I agree with norske 100% ! For the money the m birch set is Killer i put on EC2 heads thru a pillow in the bass and they sound Very Good ! The snare I don't use as i have some higher end snares I like. I don't gig but this would be a great kit for gigging got looks sound quality and you won't have a bunch of money tied up in a road kit cause things happen on the road !!
    here's a shot of my m birch !

User Info Menu

That is a beautiful drum set. I love the amber finish on it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    I agree with norske 100% ! For the money the m birch set is Killer i put on EC2 heads thru a pillow in the bass and they sound Very Good ! The snare I don't use as i have some higher end snares I like. I don't gig but this would be a great kit for gigging got looks sound quality and you won't have a bunch of money tied up in a road kit cause things happen on the road !!
    here's a shot of my m birch !

All good advice so far! That kit is bloody gorgeous!
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

mapex and sonor are good.

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.