Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunday Jam

User Info Menu

Default Sunday Jam

I have, on occasion, been playing with a guitar player. He is just pretty much a hobbyist. So, we had another jam today. We decided to record today. We actually had some good moments. Just playing off each other. Today, I was implicating things I have learned via rudiments. I was getting a little creative and pushing things that I never practiced. Well, bottom line, they came out really well. Just playing a beat and throwing in doubles on the hats, 4 stroke rolls on the toms, and even paradiddles between the bass drum and snare, and ride and hi hat. Well, after myself getting all in to this, I noticed the guitarist was playing right with me. He was like ear to ear grinning. I think we both played really well, and raised our bar to better playing. What a positive BUZZ!! Can't wait to experience this again!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sunday Jam

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    I have, on occasion, been playing with a guitar player. He is just pretty much a hobbyist. So, we had another jam today. We decided to record today. We actually had some good moments. Just playing off each other. Today, I was implicating things I have learned via rudiments. I was getting a little creative and pushing things that I never practiced. Well, bottom line, they came out really well. Just playing a beat and throwing in doubles on the hats, 4 stroke rolls on the toms, and even paradiddles between the bass drum and snare, and ride and hi hat. Well, after myself getting all in to this, I noticed the guitarist was playing right with me. He was like ear to ear grinning. I think we both played really well, and raised our bar to better playing. What a positive BUZZ!! Can't wait to experience this again!
    HOLA como estas BASSIST LEARNING DRUMS Mi amigo Creative artistic open minded BASSIST///DRUMMER (GATO) THATS great amigo entering within NEW DIMENSIONS within all of THE ENHANCEMENT of your Awareness
    of and within the STRUCTURED TEXTURED Rhythms and accents of applying
    some of the RUDIMENTS complimenting the other ARTIST**within a fine
    blend of colors as you Journey deeper within your Own distinct unique
    creative artistic ARTISTRY ** GRACIAS Mi aamigo**

User Info Menu

There's nothing better than open jam sessions! Keep on it!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Thanks!! I feel so charged tonight!!! Amist the imperfections of playing that was recorded. We know what to do to make it better! Music is THE BEST!

User Info Menu

Congrats on the jam session BLD! It really is an awesome feeling, isn't it? For me, it really energizes me because I am able to create something of my own (even though it's only on my level), rather than trying to play someone else's creation. It really gives a chance to relax and just go with the flow! WTG!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Sunday Jam

BLD--sounds like you're rockin' those jams, my friend! Keep 'em up!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Play On Brother,Play On,Every Chance Ya Get....Nothin But Good Can Come From It!!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

IMHO there is nothing, absolutely NOTHING, that will improve your skills faster than playing with other musicians.

Excellent, congrats!
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Very cool, I love it when it clicks, that is what it is all about
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by redheaddrummer03 View Post
    There's nothing better than open jam sessions! Keep on it!
    Alot of what I/we do as a band involves free flowing jam..sometimes lasting near 2 solid hours..not kidding. Once you lock in with whom ever you are jamming with be it a bassist or full band and start feeding and flowing, adding textures and knowing when to put the holes and let silent moments speak volumes it truly is a beautiful and joyful thing to behold! All goose pimply now..
    -Les

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    Thanks!! I feel so charged tonight!!! Amist the imperfections of playing that was recorded. We know what to do to make it better! Music is THE BEST!
    Amen...-Les

User Info Menu

Reading about jam session experiences reminded me of an article I posted a couple of years ago in my Blog: A Sunday Jazz Jam Session

It's Sunday and I have the day off...a rare treat working in retail sales. Doubly so because this is the first Sunday of the month and that means Jazz Jam! Okay, let me explain. Where I live there is an organization: Community Jazz Center of Greater Des Moines (CJC). Its mission is very simple: to promote the learning of Jazz Music to area high school students. Every month, the first Sunday is reserved for a live Jazz Jam session at a local coffee house. Here, area students can come and sit-in with a house band made up by local professional musicians. As a student more than 40 years ago, I remember my reluctance in wanting to play while there was another student waiting for a lesson. It wasn't that I was particularly shy, rather, not very confident in myself. Tony, my teacher, explained that I would have to get used to playing in front of others. That was a lesson learned well. Today, 46 years later, I am still playing in front of others. And, as with any lesson worth teaching, I pay it forward by watching todays novice stumble and fumble---earning my "Thumbs up" for a job well done. I know their anxiety. And I also know the reward. Several years ago, on the first Sunday of the month, I went to hear what the Jam was all about. I sat quietly at a table and drank my coffee. Most of the kids I listened to were pretty good. This was cool. "Are there any drummers here today who would like to play?"
    I looked up and saw in front of the stage a lady speaking into the microphone. Without thinking, I raised my hand. "Well, come on up." she said. After a few introductions, I sat behind the kit. "What would you like to play," she asked. The guys in the band, keyboard, guitar and bass, looked tentatively at each other. "Autumn Leaves, guys, upswing. I'll take the head for eight bars." With that, I attacked the hi-hat. Two tunes later, I vacated the throne as the band took a break. The bass player approached me and asked that I stick around so I can play another tune with them. It was a good Sunday. Before I left the coffee house, the lady overlooking the jam session called me over to her table.
    "Who do you play with," she asked.
    "Nobody," I answered.
    "You're to damn good not to." Two months later, she introduced me to the CJC Big Band. They were looking for a drummer. That was 5 years ago. I'm still playing with the band. And whenever I have the first Sunday of the month off from work, I go to the jam session, listen with great appreciation and pay my respects to this wonderful lady by sitting in for a tune or two.

I still go to these sessions on occassion and sit - in for a tune or two.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

Larrysperf Guest

I had a similier thing when I was younger his name was chet Atkins

User Info Menu

Awesome story Frank!

And Larry, you can't leave us hanging, you've got to tell us more!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    I had a similier thing when I was younger his name was chet Atkins
    That's too good not to share with us, Larry! Looking back on his work, he was definitely country, but I heard a jazz undertone in his playing that I don't find in many artists before, say, 1965...you were fortunate, my friend!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Frank, Loved the story!!

User Info Menu

great stuff bld, I still go to an occasional jam session, never know who's gonna turn up and turn it up.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

My jams are one's I have in my home. I am not ready to go out and greet the public, yet. I am hoping to do that in April. I am giving myself 1 year.

User Info Menu

why wait bud!! cut my teeth on an all nite tues jams back in the uk many many moons ago, all the top boyz would come in after the club closed at 11.00pm and we would jam till sunrize. No better way to learn.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

I need to become better with my independence.

User Info Menu

you will get it bld, u practising any left hand lead?

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

I alternate all my rudiments. My left hand is my dominant hand, and has been my whole life. I do play right handed behind the kit.

BTW, I received JoJo Mayer's Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer today. Haven't watched it yet.

User Info Menu

Frank--didn't mean to ignore your story...man, you really do "pay it forward." Hope we can all do that well!

Charlie

Larrysperf Guest

I used to practice at Larry syks music store & he came in & heard me. said who is that owner told him & he sat down & we jamed. Im not a very good story teller. But he was very complamentary about my drumming

User Info Menu

That's a great story BLD.

I hope to experience that again someday soon. I remember the electricity in the air when a jam "clicked".

Either that or the outlets weren't grounded properly...
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....