Thread: LP Compact Bongos & Congas set - any comments?

User Info Menu

Question LP Compact Bongos & Congas set - any comments?

Does anybody have experience with the LP Compact Bongos & Congas set? I've been thinking that I should buy a full setup (4 drums on one stand), but because of where I live, there isn't any way I can test them out before buying. I'm hoping someone here can give me some feedback about their personal experiences with these. I'm thinking about using them both at home for practice, and on stage (via mic'ing the set).

User Info Menu

Default Re: LP Compact Bongos & Congas set - any comments?

I've only had experience with LP hardware.

High quality and very durable but no experience with their drum products.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Cool Re: LP Compact Bongos & Congas set - any comments?

Quote Originally Posted by scruffyeagle View Post
    Does anybody have experience with the LP Compact Bongos & Congas set? I've been thinking that I should buy a full setup (4 drums on one stand), but because of where I live, there isn't any way I can test them out before buying. I'm hoping someone here can give me some feedback about their personal experiences with these. I'm thinking about using them both at home for practice, and on stage (via mic'ing the set).
    Welcome aboard, scruffyeagle! I've test-played them at a Guitar center near my home, and--while I prefer conventional congas and bongos--they're a good alternative if you don't have the space. And if you're using them for home practice and concert work, that's a bonus! The conga and bongos I played at GC seemed to have a tinny overtone, but they were display models and may not have been tuned properly. Even so, they felt good and projected well; the set I played had Evans "Giovanni Hidalgo" synthetic heads, which I understand are standard equipment.

I think you'll like them...good luck, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Scruffyeagle, and you just got the lowdown from one of our resident hand drum experts!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

The LP Compact congas and bongos are great for practice, not so great in a live setting though. With no shell there is no projection and very little tone. I would advise against using these for anything other than practice. I could see these used as an add on to a drumset or something, but I would never subsitute these for the real congas. The portability and real feel/sound make this one of the best learning tools out there though. I would only buy 1 myself, save your money on the set and get some drums with shells. Another alternative is the Pearl Travel conga, same concept, they use a remo fiberskyn instead of the evans synthetic, depends on the feel you want.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: LP Compact Bongos & Congas set - any comments?

BTW, Gretschhead's also a hand drum expert, so you're in good hands (pun intended!)
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Welcome aboard, scruffyeagle! I've test-played them at a Guitar center near my home, and--while I prefer conventional congas and bongos--they're a good alternative if you don't have the space. And if you're using them for home practice and concert work, that's a bonus! The conga and bongos I played at GC seemed to have a tinny overtone, but they were display models and may not have been tuned properly. Even so, they felt good and projected well; the set I played had Evans "Giovanni Hidalgo" synthetic heads, which I understand are standard equipment.

I think you'll like them...good luck, bro'!
    Hi, Bongobro!

Pleased to meet you!

I just found this forum about a week ago, and thought it would be a good addition to my online connections. (I also visit the fiddleforum & banjo hangout forums frequently.) I hope to learn via coming here, and perhaps be of assistance (when I can). This compact congas & bongos set is an issue I felt I needed guidance re. from people more experienced &/or knowledgeable than me - which is why I posted it.

"Tinny", eh? Personally, I love the thump & ring of a rope-tuned djembe a lot more than the tak-tak-tak of a snare. But, I guess both have their place. Thank you for your comments.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Welcome to Drum Chat Scruffyeagle, and you just got the lowdown from one of our resident hand drum experts!
    Thank you, Pastor Bob! Glad to be here. And, I appreciate the assistance.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    The LP Compact congas and bongos are great for practice, not so great in a live setting though. With no shell there is no projection and very little tone. I would advise against using these for anything other than practice. I could see these used as an add on to a drumset or something, but I would never subsitute these for the real congas. The portability and real feel/sound make this one of the best learning tools out there though. I would only buy 1 myself, save your money on the set and get some drums with shells. Another alternative is the Pearl Travel conga, same concept, they use a remo fiberskyn instead of the evans synthetic, depends on the feel you want.
    Hi, Gretschhead!

Thanks for your feedback. I'm not very concerned re. volume, because I'd almost always be mic'ing them when on stage. I've found it's almost always necessary, if you want the hand drummer to be heard over the amplified guitars, keyboards, drums, etc. (I usually have friends out there in the audience, & they tell me what they thought, afterward.) The comment of "very little tone" does concern me, though. Do you mean by that, that they lack resonance? Or, that they're tonally flat? The portability & real feel/sound are key issues for me. My personal transportation is a Geo Metro. I wouldn't be able to get a full conga set inside it; much less, accessories. Almost all of my stage time (so far) has been sitting in with bands as a guest player. That means I need to be able to carry the stuff on stage & get set up in about 5 minutes flat, in whatever small space has been provided to me, when the moment happens. In terms of setup time & space required, this compact seems like just the ticket. I also have physical problems involving arthritis & my back (etc.), so whatever I play needs to be played while sitting down - and, without needing to be continuously leaning forward to reach the instrument. My solution to date has been to have a tray with the bongos on it, resting across my thighs. The compact set looks as if I could bring it in close to have the compact conga heads where my bongos usually have been (slightly lower playing surface as vs. bongos?), and the compact bongos being slightly above & slightly further away.

How does the Pearl Travel Conga compare to the LP Compact Conga in terms of tone, playability, and price?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    Oh - I also should have mentioned, that I really can't use sticks for drumming because of my wrist, ligaments, tendons, etc. problems. My wrists can deal with directly forward & back motions, but not side to side motions; especially, if I have to hang on to something while doing it. So, I'm really limited to being a hand-drummer, as far as percussion goes.