Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lessons or No Lessons

User Info Menu

Default Lessons or No Lessons

See this my thing I have been wanting to play drums for a while now and I am not sure wether to go get lessons or teach my self through various videos dvds yadaa yadaa.

Did you guys teach yourselfs or were there lots of lessons involved?
    If I were to take lessons how much do you think is a good price?
    Last question how long did you take lessons (if you did) before you even got to practicing on a kit.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Lessons or No Lessons

LESSONS

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

I've been playing for over 30 years. Self taught and baptism by fire. I've been gigging the entire time and have a good grasp on what I'm doing.

However, due to no lessons I don't have any real formal training and can see the holes in my abilities due to if nothing else, not knowing rudiments. After this many years, I wish I would have taken lessons. Sure I could now but I'm too stubborn and set in certain ways to be able to break the "coccoon" I've sealed myself in.

Take lessons to at least get some good practices as well as knowledge of the drum fundamentals. They will take you to the ends of your creative juices.

As far as cost, shop around your area with accreditted teachers and I'm sure you'll find one that suits your ideals. As far as how long? There are many variables to consider there. Mostly cost, time and desire. Only you will know when enough is enough.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Lessons! I tried to teach myself for 1 year, I failed, now I'm taking lessons and they are worth every penny!

User Info Menu

Lessons, as the respondants above pointed out, will get you on the right track and will also test your ability to actually play drums...it is a whole lot more than just hitting the drums with a pair of sticks. Most drum instructors I know will teach you the fundamentals of reading music and will start you out on the set immediately...playing the basic of beats to get you used to moving your limbs in coordination with each other. I think the cost of private lessons will vary according to where you live. A friend of mine, Ron Tierno, has a studio in Manhattan and charges $50 to $60 per hour per lesson depending if they are on going or just here and there. As a youngster, I took weekly lessons for 6 years...the best time of my life...and I learned "How To Learn." That was well over 40 some years ago and I am still playing and able to teach myself many of the new things that have developed in drumming over the years. As I said, drumming is a whole lot more than just hitting with the sticks. Do yourself a favor... take lessons.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

If nothing else get the foundation to build on. Proper grip, proper stroke, the Moeller Method, etc.. These skills will carry you a long way. If you learn bad habits from the beginning it will be harder on you down the road.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

I started playing at a more advanced age, and with everything else going on in my life, I decided to take lessons to make myself accountable to someone. It's very easy to have all the lesson material, but to let other things get in the way. When you know that you will have to show someone else that you put in the practice time, you will put in the practice time. I progressed very fast while I was taking the lessons, and since I've had to be out of lessons since the beginning of the year, I have progressed much slower. I can't wait to get back into lessons.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Definately take the lessons.

It's sooooo much easier to learn it right the first time, than to break a bad habit later in life.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Smile Re: Lessons or No Lessons

Lessons, if you can find a teacher. I have not had much luck. So I rely on DVDs and Drum Chat to help me on my journey!!!

User Info Menu

I would reccomend ATLEAST a few lessons just to learn the basics and stay away from bad habits that will be hard to break later. Like fiacovaz said, there is alot more to drumming than justing beating on some skins with some sticks. We're talking rudiments, sticking, reading, independence, theory, time signatures, technique, feel (a beat could be written the same, but play it with a rock feel and it will be completely different with a jazz feel), etc. Drumming is extremely complex and takes many many years of study to master it. Even pros and Masters continue to study and learn from others.

The best thing about having a teacher is constructive criticism. Often times it takes another person there listening and watching you to catch mistakes or bad habits. The worst thing you can do is learn something wrong, because it is more difficult to unlearn it than it is to learn it correctly the first time.

I'd expect to pay about $20-$30 for 1/2 hr lessons. Lots of schools will give you a break if you pay in advance for a month or more. I'd suggest checking your local craigslist or posting an ad looking for a teacher. And find someone who is interested in the same type of music that you are. A predominately jazz player will probably not make a good teacher for someone wanting to play metal and vise versa. You want to be interested in playing the material that your teacher provides, otherwise you will get frustrated and be much less motivated to learn and practice. Good Luck!

User Info Menu

i am a self taught drummer here. I was already musically inclined before i started (i also play guitar, bass guitar, and keyboards)

I used a combination of both lesson videos, and just jamming along with CDs as well. I also pick up things from the people who i've jammed with.

I went for 10 years without playing drums due to financial burdens. Just started getting back into it, and i am making progress on getting back to where i used to be.

A few lessons would not hurt though, at least to get started, as others have mentioned.

User Info Menu

Gretschhead makes a very valid point but I would say that if you find a good teacher, it doesn't matter whether he/she is predominantly one style of drummer or another. Music is still Music and drumming will always be drumming. It's the theory behind what you play that makes it Jazz, Metal, C/W. One thing I have alwyas taught my own students over the years...there is no such thing as a Rock and roll Drummer or a Jazz Drummer...Be a drummer and you can play whatever it is there is for you to play.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Lessons.
    I took snare only lessons for 5 months before I took snare and kit lessons for a while (don't know how long) and my last teacher was kit only and there wasn't any music reading involved. At the time I liked my last teacher the most, but now I wish I had continued with reading and snare drum music.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

As far as money goes, we've payed anywhere from between $100 p/hr to free. Most teachers in my area are getting around $50 per hour.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris View Post
    Most teachers in my area are getting around $50 per hour.
    That sounds pretty fair and reasonable and I believe guitar lessons are about the same.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I paid $20 for a 1/2 hr. lesson here, and often my lessons would go over time. The guy who taught my lessons was the owner of the music store.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

If you could only afford to buy 1 instructional DVD, what would it be? I want an answer from everyone! Im short on money for a while and am getting back into drumming after 16 years of not looking at the drums and i want to get going on this. I play metal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mopower440 View Post
    I play metal.
    I suggest "How To Alienate Your Entire Block With One Battle of the Bands/Keg Party" by Imma Pigg.

Am I banned yet?

User Info Menu

Not yet RD, but we are considering it on general principles!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Not yet RD, but we are considering it on general principles!!
    Whew! People are starting to question your judgement around here.

User Info Menu

Hey, why should the people around here be any different?

User Info Menu

Hey, why should the people around here be any different?

Exactly!

User Info Menu

Let's see, I think it goes something like this: "Aw, I don't need to take that abuse from you. I've got plenty of people waiting to abuse me!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mopower440 View Post
    If you could only afford to buy 1 instructional DVD, what would it be? I want an answer from everyone! Im short on money for a while and am getting back into drumming after 16 years of not looking at the drums and i want to get going on this. I play metal.
    I would go for the latest Richard Simmons work out dvd, he has done something with his hair I think!!. Either that or I would get the best selling #1 world ranked, keytar lessons for dummies. Money well spent.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

I paid $20 for a 1/2 hr. lesson here, and often my lessons would go over time. The guy who taught my lessons was the owner of the music store.
    HOLA como estas PASTOR_BOB Mi amigo Creative artistic open minded drummer Artist(CAT) THATS EN-EXPENSIVE *Cool CAT**GRACIAS