Thread: Anyone use the tascam trainers?

User Info Menu

Default Anyone use the tascam trainers?

I'm just a noob starting out. I've been working on rudiments on a drum pad and have a drum set on order. I also have some isolation headphones coming so I can try to play along to some music.

I noticed that tascam sells a line of "trainers" for different instruments (guitar, bass, vocals). It looks like they allow you play an MP3 and slow it down without changing the pitch. It also looks like it will allow you to play a metronome over the music.

The vocal version looks like it's marketed for use with any instrument while the guitar and bass versions seem to have features specifically for those instruments.

I was wondering if anyone has messed with these and if they are any good? Is the vocal version the right version for a drummer?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Anyone use the tascam trainers?

I use my recording software to do the same thing. I can also place a marker on each side of a section and have it repeat until I get it.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

I bought their guitar trainer a couple of years ago and sent it back. Talk about non-user friendly.

User Info Menu

Not sure there's a 'right' one for drummers. I've got the guitar one. You can plug a mic into the guitar input if you want. But I use it mostly for the tempo adjustment feature. And the metronome is a separate feature, not integrated with music playback, so you use the metronome OR the music playback features, not both.

Yes, you can adjust the tempo with or without changing the key. If you want to keep the same key though, you are limited to decrements of -4, -8, -16, -32 and -50 (I think) and similar increments. If you don't care about the key, it's 1 step increments/decrements.

As Roaddebris mentioned, the user-friendliness could use some work, but if all you're doing is using the tempo adjustment, it's not too bad.
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Mapex Pro M fusion kit natural finish
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride
    10" & 12" A fast splashes
    14", 16" & 18" A fast crashes
    Pearl Eliminator double kick
    Pearl free-floater brass snare (the deep one!!)
    not one, but 2 cowbells!!