Thread: JCR Cowbells

User Info Menu

Default JCR Cowbells

I have to recomend these bells to everyone. JCR is a small latin percussion shop in the Bronx, NY. All of the instruments are handmade including congas, bongos, timbales, and cowbells. The owner is a fantastic craftsman and produces some of the top latin percussion instruments in the world. All of his steel cowbells are shaped by hand and welded, no 2 will sound exactly alike. This gives the maker the ability to tweak the sound to add more sustain or take it away or raise or lower the pitch etc, whereas the leading companies like LP or Toca are mass producing the exact same bell over and over again by machine.

I've been into latin percussion since I started drumming 15+ years ago, and I have gone through countless differen types of cowbells from LP, Toca, Pearl, Meinl, etc. These JCR bells blow everything out of the water! I have a large hand held bongo bell and a small mounted cha cha bell. The bongo bell has an amazing low tone to it, and a little on the dry side so it doesn't ring for ever. The cha cha bell is bright and explosive yet dry like the bongo bell. The sticking is crisp and clear and the overtones don't drown out the rhythm like some bells can. These bells are very affordable too, I think I paid $12 for the cha cha and $22 for the bongo. I urge everyone to check them out, you won't be dissapointed!

User Info Menu

Default Re: JCR Cowbells

very interesting, i never heard of them. I'm used to LP, which is probably one of the most popular sold brands.

In fact my cowbell is an LP