Thread: blisters

User Info Menu

Default blisters

okay this is probably what i get for taking about a week off from drumming now and then.

i get blisters on the inside of my hands mainly where the fingers sprout from the main part of your hand. they are pretty nasty and take about a week to heal. they usually don't have blood or anything in them, except for this time where there was quite a bit of blood. the blister is on my left hand and has been torn open to aleviate pain and pressure.
    what i'm asking is does this happen to anyone else and what can i do to prevent it from happening.
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

Default Re: blisters

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    okay this is probably what i get for taking about a week off from drumming now and then.

i get blisters on the inside of my hands mainly where the fingers sprout from the main part of your hand. they are pretty nasty and take about a week to heal. they usually don't have blood or anything in them, except for this time where there was quite a bit of blood. the blister is on my left hand and has been torn open to aleviate pain and pressure.
    what i'm asking is does this happen to anyone else and what can i do to prevent it from happening.
    hmm. well for me gloves was the way to go..not so for everyone as it can actually cause blisters..i have heard..?? Bloody ones hey? well maybe you should check your grip..?? I have seen guys tape their figers in strategic ares to combat this..but If you are playing a more aggressive style..do what I used to do..way back when.. Bite a small hole in those puppies and enjoy all those sweet, sweet blister juices!

User Info Menu

I hate blisters!!! Haven't gotten one yet.

User Info Menu

I used to get blisters when I marched with Drum Corps as a kid...haven't had any since then. to much pressure on hands and fingers from the sticks can blister the fingers. Check your grip. If necessary, wrap your stick with tape...easier to hold on to without blistering the hands and fingers. Playing drums is not meant to to hurt you so check what it is you may be doing wrong.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

I admit that I tend to keep a rather loose grip on the sticks. My teacher always wanted me to tighten up my grip, but I really play better (more fluidly) when I let the sticks do more of the work. I try to simply control the rebound of the stick. For this reason, I guess I don't get blisters, but then I probably don't sit and play for extended periods like you probably do Ringo. I have to fit in my practice time, and playing where time permits.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

it usually only happens when i do rimshots or go into double or triple strokes per hand. if i'm just going aggressive in single strokes then it doesn't happen but because i use my wrists and the moeller method alot my wrists take a beating. and the way my grip looks when i'm doing this is the stick is between my thumb and near the middle of my index finger. it's only for a short time but when used repeatedly it starts to rub the skin raw and eventually blisters. yuck!
    but i will look into tape and possible gloves.
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

I used to get blisters way back when I first started playing. For some reason one day it just stopped happening to me.

I think the more I played the more I relaxed, and that was the solution. It might be caused by gripping the sticks too tightly, which most people would have a tendency to do when they're concentrating really hard or playing past the point of being tired. I still have calluses in a few places, but they're not bad.

I don't know that there is anything you can do to prevent it right now except maybe taping over those spots before you play, or like Les said, getting some gloves. I think in time you'll find that you aren't getting them anymore.
    Last edited by Norske; 11-08-2008 at 06:52 PM.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.