Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken, Beat & scarred by Metallica(Drum Video)

User Info Menu

Default Broken, Beat & scarred by Metallica(Drum Video)

Well guys I braved it, and played this song to the best of my ability, it is far from perfect, but I feel I did a pretty good job, there are some mistakes, but I am clearly not perfect.
    I have really underestimated Lars and his playing, the man has got some serious skill, there is all kinds of breaks, temp changes, fills and all kinds of stuff going on, in this song, it was a lot harder, than I anticipated, anyway hope you enjoy and please tell me what you think, but try and be nice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBZRy2gzW0s
    FILL YOUR LIFE WITH INSPIRATION TO INSPIRE

DW Collectors - Paragon - Vic Firth -

User Info Menu

Default Re: Broken, Beat & scarred by Metallica(Drum Video)

Awesome Kev! Love it! I really like the camera overhead, it shows everything..... Now maybe I can learn this song (yeah, right LOL). I'd like to see you do Suicide & Redemption next!

Can't wait to see Metallica in Feb!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    Awesome Kev! Love it! I really like the camera overhead, it shows everything..... Now maybe I can learn this song (yeah, right LOL). I'd like to see you do Suicide & Redemption next!

Can't wait to see Metallica in Feb!
    Thanks Sue I am glad you liked it. yea I have always really liked the overhead shot, when i am watching other drummers, because it shows everything, so that is why I recorded my overhead. Just get behind that kit and rip it up, you can do it, just takes practice, lots of practice lol.

Consider Suicide and redemption done, I will get to it soon, just for you, awesome song to. And I am jealous as heck that you are going to see them, it will be rocking I have seen them twice and it was amazing.

User Info Menu

Excellent man! Sounded great as usual to me.

User Info Menu

i thought that was awesome!

User Info Menu

Thanks guys.

User Info Menu

Hey Kevin...as long as you think you have room for improvement, you will always be motivated. I would not know if there was anything lacking in your effort and, as with the other vids, I enjoyed it. Thoe "Over head" view is really interesting as it does show everything you go through as you play. I was thinking to myself how cyclical things are...your 1 up and 2 down set up...is what I had always seen in the 50's...Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich. I also recall you mentioning how you started to experiment with configurations and settled on this. I use the same set up when I practice but, since I have 16" and 18" floor toms, I rarely take the 18" on a gig...never enough room. Anyway, thanks for giving us another look into your playing..it's great.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DWdrumr View Post
    Consider Suicide and redemption done, I will get to it soon, just for you, awesome song to. And I am jealous as heck that you are going to see them, it will be rocking I have seen them twice and it was amazing.
    YAY! Thanks Kev!

Yeah, we got hella good seats for the concert too!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Hey Kevin...as long as you think you have room for improvement, you will always be motivated. I would not know if there was anything lacking in your effort and, as with the other vids, I enjoyed it. Thoe "Over head" view is really interesting as it does show everything you go through as you play. I was thinking to myself how cyclical things are...your 1 up and 2 down set up...is what I had always seen in the 50's...Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich. I also recall you mentioning how you started to experiment with configurations and settled on this. I use the same set up when I practice but, since I have 16" and 18" floor toms, I rarely take the 18" on a gig...never enough room. Anyway, thanks for giving us another look into your playing..it's great.
    Thanks man, I really appreciate it again, and I am certainly motivated to be a better drummer, and I feel like I am improving, and i can see it in my videos, and recordings, that I have grown as a drummer, and it is quite rewarding, and it just pushes me to go the next step and push myself, I LOVE DRUMMING

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    YAY! Thanks Kev!

Yeah, we got hella good seats for the concert too!!!
    That's awesome, and your welcome, S&R is a smokin good tune, it should be real fun.

Larrysperf Guest

Well guys I braved it, and played this song to the best of my ability, it is far from perfect, but I feel I did a pretty good job, there are some mistakes, but I am clearly not perfect.
    I have really underestimated Lars and his playing, the man has got some serious skill, there is all kinds of breaks, temp changes, fills and all kinds of stuff going on, in this song, it was a lot harder, than I anticipated, anyway hope you enjoy and please tell me what you think, but try and be nice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBZRy2gzW0s
    stop putting your self down as ,its not perfect ,well you did a great job & it was you, not him. Think he is perfect all the time not in this life time So keep it up I really enjoyed it

User Info Menu

Very cool. You rock!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    stop putting your self down as ,its not perfect ,well you did a great job & it was you, not him. Think he is perfect all the time not in this life time So keep it up I really enjoyed it
    Thanks man, you are right

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris View Post
    Very cool. You rock!
    thanks

User Info Menu

Great job, you sounded great on that song. And as others have said I like the camera angle, that was fun to watch keeper coming!

User Info Menu

Thanks man.

User Info Menu

Red Hot! and very clean as always, mate
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Thanks man.

User Info Menu

DWd-
    That was righteous work budro!! I think you smoked it!!
    Thanks for sharin and keep up the good work!!!
    Q-Would you buy another one if it were stolen?
    A-Well yeah... But, I'd probly turn into a homicidal maniac first!

User Info Menu

Great Job, DWD! I dug the recovery of the lost stick around 4 minutes in.

Lemme ask, I wanna do a vid like this. How does it sound so good? Camcorders' microphones usually suck, but your vid sounds so clean. I assume your have the music in your earphones, yet I can hear it in the vid, and again, it sounds clean, not like it's blasting the cam out.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    Great Job, DWD! I dug the recovery of the lost stick around 4 minutes in.

Lemme ask, I wanna do a vid like this. How does it sound so good? Camcorders' microphones usually suck, but your vid sounds so clean. I assume your have the music in your earphones, yet I can hear it in the vid, and again, it sounds clean, not like it's blasting the cam out.
    Thanks man, here is a run-down of what I go thru lol.

I have 2 mixers, my main mixer is a phonic 18channel firewire mixer, I run all my drum into this mixer, set the levels, very little EQ adjust, I run the firewire into my laptop, where I use Adobe Audition 3 for the recording software.
    For the second mixer this is basically my monitor, I run out the mains on the main mixer, into my monitor mixer, doing this allows me to plug in my ipod to the monitor mixer, so I can have a clean mix of my drums and the ipod(or music I am playing to).
    THEN when I have finished recording the drum track, I take my digital camera(my video recorder)and my laptop, and I first use nero soundtrax to mix my recorded drum part with the song I played to, doing this you can kind of drown out the original drums, you can also add a little reverb to make your drums sound full and clean, so once I have done all that, I take the finished mix, and I use windows movie maker to blend the video I recorded with the audio, and there you have it.

It sounds a lot worse than it really is, it is actually very simple and from the time I am finished recording it takes all of about 10 min to sync, edit and mix everything down to the final video you all watch.

Let me know if you need any other help.

User Info Menu

oh, man. Lars is intesnse. im trying to learn one, welcome home snatarium, enter sandman, and down and out(apoclyptica) right now to play with my orchestra in spring. He is such a complicated guy, i dont think he ever stays on one groove.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 46secondanthem View Post
    oh, man. Lars is intesnse. im trying to learn one, welcome home snatarium, enter sandman, and down and out(apoclyptica) right now to play with my orchestra in spring. He is such a complicated guy, i dont think he ever stays on one groove.
    Yes he is, and he loves snare fills lol. Right on man, you will get it, it just takes time, and just remember you don't have to play them perfectly, I can promise you he doesn't when he plays live, just to ease the pressure a bit. rock on man

User Info Menu

I always thought Lars was really mediocre. Whenever I heard what he played on record, I always felt he could do so much better. When I saw Metallica live, he never seemed to be doing justice to them.
    But watching this video, seeing how it's actually played, gives me a lot more respect for the man. He does have some pretty good skills! And a great cover as well! Well done!
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 46secondanthem View Post
    Yes he is, and he loves snare fills lol. Right on man, you will get it, it just takes time, and just remember you don't have to play them perfectly, I can promise you he doesn't when he plays live, just to ease the pressure a bit. rock on man
    I love doing "Harvester Of Sorrow". The pounding intro is just so sick with the whining guitar sound...
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....