Thread: Evans Tourqe key?

User Info Menu

Default Evans Tourqe key?

Can you guys tell me if its worth the 21 bucks? does it work? and can you use it if you already have your heads on? just to make sure all the lugs are the same tourqe.I hate tuning becasue I never know if its right and when I funally do think its right, I always find something that isnt right! Anyway I want to get this key and would like the comments from those who use them..

My other question, whats the deal with reso's..Loose or tight? I want a classic rock sound and I have evans EC2 Coated heads! Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Evans Tourqe key?

I have one that was given to me, they are not bad but I really don't use it. I just tune my drums the old fashioned way. I will say they are good for getting the drum in the ball park and then fine tunning with a normal key. All in all if it wasn't given to me as a gift I wouldn't bother spending the money on one for my self.

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    I have one that was given to me, they are not bad but I really don't use it. I just tune my drums the old fashioned way. I will say they are good for getting the drum in the ball park and then fine tunning with a normal key. All in all if it wasn't given to me as a gift I wouldn't bother spending the money on one for my self.
    So I would like a gift give it to me lol

User Info Menu

Like BTD said, it's good for getting the tension on the lugs fairly even all around. You can also dial in the tension setting that you want to get the head near to the sound that you want. You do have to fine tune from there, just like with any tension helping device. If you're comfortable with tuning, the Torque Key isn't worth the price. I got my when I was still trying to figure it all out. I still use it if I take the heads off completely, because it helps me get the tuning done faster. If you've got some extra money that you don't know what to do with, it's a good deal, but if money's a factor, a $5 drum key still works too.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

If you are using this thing..which I wouldnt recommend unless you have 21$ burning up your trousers, a good idea is to remove all your tension rods and put a small dab of petroleum jelly on each rod before reinstalling them. It lubes up sticky lugs and makes the torque key a bit more uniform and accurate. -Les
    Last edited by Lesizmor; 11-08-2008 at 02:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Go for the Drum Dial instead. It measures the actual tension of the head.

User Info Menu

I used one when I do a complete re-head. It gives me an even starting point. I then as was stated above, tune the old fashioned way, by ear.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

I owned a DrumDial for an entire week and then returned it. I was in search for a better mouse trap, but that wasn't it. About two weeks ago I bought an Evans Torque Key, it too did not make tuning my kits any easier. It might get you in the ballpark if all your tuning rods have exactly the same friction inside the lugs, but most do not. I'll keep the Evans product since it did not cost me the $59.95 the DrumDial did, but all I can say is experiment and get use to tuning your kit by ear. It's the way my dad taught me over forty eight years ago and I haven't found a better way since.

Dennis

User Info Menu

sold both my drumdial and my torque key.. I do much better the old fashion way! -Les

User Info Menu

Not everyone is going to have "The Ear" but, we do know what sounds good to us. There is no mystery in tuning drums...the truth is that it takes a little bit of our time and so much of the time we don't want to hassle with it. Over 40 some years I have learned that keeping my drums "Relatively" tuned is the best way. All that means is that I might have to "tweak" the heads a bit depending on the accoustics of the room my band is playing in. Also, once we have taken the time to tune the reso heads, there isn't much of a problem with them. So, learn to trust you Ears...they are the best friends you'll have come time to tune.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

ok, well I got one anyway and have to say I like it, I feel I have a good ear etc...But when I used this thing I was surprised how "off" some of the lugs were tension wise to the others, I feel it made a difference in the tone of the drum...of course it could just be all in my head anyway I like the thing and it will be good for quick tune ups at gigs etc!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Over 40 some years I have learned that keeping my drums "Relatively" tuned is the best way. All that means is that I might have to "tweak" the heads a bit depending on the accoustics of the room my band is playing in. ...So, learn to trust you Ears...they are the best friends you'll have come time to tune.
    Yup, you need to know how to tune your drums to the room. And you won't have time inbetween songs to sit a device on the head. So, while I don't knock the drum dial or the rhythm torque, I think knowing how tune with a standard drum key is paramount.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Not everyone is going to have "The Ear" but, we do know what sounds good to us. There is no mystery in tuning drums...the truth is that it takes a little bit of our time and so much of the time we don't want to hassle with it. Over 40 some years I have learned that keeping my drums "Relatively" tuned is the best way. All that means is that I might have to "tweak" the heads a bit depending on the accoustics of the room my band is playing in. Also, once we have taken the time to tune the reso heads, there isn't much of a problem with them. So, learn to trust you Ears...they are the best friends you'll have come time to tune.
    HOLA como estas FIACOVAZ * FRANK Mi amigo cretive artistic open minded DRUMMER ARITIST within alot of WISDOM* EXCELLENTE'
    GRACIAS

Larrysperf Guest

Best way is experament tuning different ways tune up down , down up till you get it