Thread: Help with a song!

User Info Menu

Default Help with a song!

I'm just starting to learn to play and after reading here that Weezer's "Island in the Sun" is an easy first song to play that's where I decided to start.

Here is the song on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hyoszso38E

The bass line for the entire song is the same two measures repeated. I've looked at about 10 different drum tabs and they have this...

Code:
      1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +  1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 
    B|o-------o-------|o-------o-o---o-|
    I keep listening to the first couple of measures when the drums come in and I swear I hear this...
    Code:
      1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +  1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 
    B|o-------o-------|o-o-----o-o-o-o-|
    Am I nuts? I thought maybe it was just the youtube version but I have the CD and it sounds the same to me.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Help with a song!

Am i alone in thinking that it doesn't really matter that much?
    Its such a small difference.

User Info Menu

Just play what feels good to you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    Just play what feels good to you.
    Seconded.

User Info Menu

uh ho, ocd in the house.!!!
    seriously though, try it both ways, see which one you prefer, or just change it up when ya want to.
    Im actually pleased to see you care how to listen closely and be aware that, maybe the tune is not as the tab is written.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

I also think the extra hits u r hearing is the bass quitar line , it is hard to pick out the kick from the bass on this recording, either way will work for ya.
    I would go with the tabs myself.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

I don't mean to sound rude but if that's what you hear then play it that way. Playing what YOUR ear hears is a key step to developing your own sound.
    I love playing along to recordings and trying to add in my own beats and fills to find out what works and what doesn't work. Most top 40 music can be played with straight eighth notes keeping tempo with 1 and 3 on the bass and 2 and 4 on the snare. It's the little things you throw in there(rimshots, ghost notes, accents) that make it unique. Kenny Aronoff is a drummer who comes to mind who's made a pretty good name for himself playing straight ahead.
    Kits
    DW Performance(white marine): 8x7/10x8/12x9/16x14/22x18
    Mapex Saturn III(transparent walnut): 10x8/12x9/16x16/22x18/14x5.5

Snares
    Pork Pie 14x7 Cherry/Bubinga
    Pork Pie 14x6.5 Big Black Bob
    Mapex Saturn 14x5.5 Maple/Walnut
    Homemade 14x5.5 Maple(10 ply Keller)

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash
    16" AAX Xplosion fast crash
    18" AAX Xplosion fash crash
    16" HH thin crash
    20" HHX stage ride

User Info Menu

try different variations of it each time you play it so youll be able to play it anyway you want when it comes time. i know a lot of beginers love to be very meticulate about which notes to hit and when. i know cuz ive been there. there is no problem with being picky like that. do whatever you want at this point in your career. you will soon come to realize when you get better that its going to matter less and less and youll be able to play it anyway that sounds good.