Thread: Jazz Music help

User Info Menu

Default Jazz Music help

I don't know tooo much about drum music as I would like, I know how to read music because I play bari. sax, but I'm a tad' confused on 2 rythems for a jazz band try out for drum set.

On the roll tied to the 8th note (circled in yellow) do I keep playing threw the roll or do I play the 8th note and go back into the roll... Sorry if I'm not explaining this right.

on this rythem 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & do I not play on 3 ?

Sorry If don't explain this exactly right, but hopefully someone can understand and help.
    thanks

-Matt

User Info Menu

Default Re: Jazz Music help

That first example is a little confusing the way it's written. It looks to me like the intent is not a tie but to end the first Roll with an 8th note and then go into the second roll on the downbeat. If this wasn't the intent I think they would have just written it as one long roll and wouldn't have shown an 8th in the middle.

The second example you show is a tie, don't play on beat 3. That's how I would interpret them anyway. I could see some room for dispute on the first on as to interpretation. I would just assume that they didn't intent a tie after the 8th note, because other wise there would be no reason to put it there. Listening to what the rest of the band does there may give you a better indication of what the composer intended.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

I would ask the director about the first example. Don't worry about looking like an idiot because that is really not written correctly.

As for the second example, yes that is a tie so don't play on beat three.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

It's tied over so just hold it until it resolves. There are lots of ways people write things. Sometimes it's very sloppy. Sometimes very wrong. Sometimes both. LOL

User Info Menu

Hey, im the drummer in my schools jazz band so maybe i can help.
    For the first rhythm, i suggest you play the roll, hit the eighth note and then roll again. Or if you want to get tricky play through all of it as a roll but accent the eighth note.
    For the second rhythm, you do rest on 3. You are correct. Remember to hit those accents in that bar too, you probably hit with the rest of the band on those beats.
    You should also ask your director if you need help.
    Hope this helped

User Info Menu

If I were playing this in my big band, I would roll up to the 8th note and single tap that then into the roll on the next beat. For the 2nd example, this is a common ensemble figure and you would not play on count "3" as a separate note. You would play the "And" of count 2 on a crash cymbal so that it sounds through beat "3." You would count this, in your head, like 1 & 2 AND... & 4 AND.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg