Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please don't think I'm crazy

User Info Menu

Default Please don't think I'm crazy

Well ok, I know that's a lot to ask.

I'm actually looking for some opinions. (Brutal honesty, if you can muster that up.)

I found a couple year old DW kit in Pearl blue. It comes with a 22" bassdrum, 8", 10" and 14" mounted toms.

Most kits like this I see are for around $3300 USD, new.

They are asking $1300 USD used and the kit looks in great shape.

Do you think it is worth it?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: Please don't think I'm crazy

In my humble opinion, D-Dubbs are great drums and it's almost impossible to find a shell pack for under 1500. What wood is it made out of? And are there any blemishes at all?? I think most people would only think you are crazy for buying too many kits, but if I had the means I would do the same thing!!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by redheaddrummer03 View Post
    In my humble opinion, D-Dubbs are great drums and it's almost impossible to find a shell pack for under 1500. What wood is it made out of? And are there any blemishes at all?? I think most people would only think you are crazy for buying too many kits, but if I had the means I would do the same thing!!
    The kit looks in great shape and I believe they are Maple. I think it's also a wrap so damage would be very hidable yet, reliable for gigging, IMHO.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Are they a collector series, classic or jazz?- For a couple of years old DW kit that sounds mighty cheap. The collectors I believe are maple or birch(depending on what you want)' while the classics are poplar/mahogany and the jazz shells have a gum wood core. Collector series have a bit more technology/research built into them. Can you try before buying, 'cause you have a great new reference with your new bubingas!!! They're pretty stunning.
    I only know that I bought a set of Mapex Orions (their top of the line) last year, but then the store dropped the price on a DW kit, so I ended up buying them too. The Mapex sound great and I love them, but the DW collector series were that much better, and not by just a little, they blow my mind!!

My 2 cents worth,
    Russ

User Info Menu

They are listed as Collector series but I'm not sure what that means yet. Still learning DW lingo.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

What does your "Stomach" tell you, Bish?
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Definately crazy.

Now as to the drums, sounds really cheap. I paid 4k for a six piece about three years ago.

User Info Menu

I think you know how well I research kits when I'm looking for something new.....that sounds very cheap for a couple year old Collectors series shell pack. In fact, even on eBay the only DW Collectors I've seen going for less than $1500 have been sets made in '98 or '99.

In DW lingo, the Collectors are their higher line and I've only seen them with maple shells, though Funkyruss may be right that they come in birch too. My local drum shop has barely used shell packs ranging from $1700 to $2700 (4, 5 and 6pcs) in various finishes that were used at Summerfest in Milwaukee.

That sounds like a really good deal to me for a 4-piece.

User Info Menu

And yes, I would be happy to store some of your kits in my spare bedroom....no sense renting that warehouse just yet!
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Sounds like a really good deal to me. I would definately buy them if i could.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Bish, I at least waited several months after I bought my Bubingas before I bought my Yamaha Absolute Maple kit. I know how you feel because I would probably feel the same way. In my opinion, you already have the best sounding kit out there in the form of a Tama Starclassic Bubinga kit. I know I directly compared four different DW Collector kits, along with another Tama maple kit, Pearl, Gretsch and Yamaha to the Bubinga kit I bought. In fact, I took along four other drummers who also played the kits I was interested in so I could judge their sound from a distance. It was unanimous in favor of the Bubingas. The Drum shop sounded like a mini drum off. I then bought the second best sounding kit of the bunch a little over a month ago.

DWs kits are awsome and have a very good following. My question I would ask myself as I reach for my wallet would be, am I buying this kit because it has the DW logo on it or is it because of the way it sounds. I too was looking at a 4 piece DW Collectors kit this past Saturday in a wrap finish brand new for an incredibly low price, but I slowly backed away.

Your crazy Bish, but then again so am I and most other drummers I know.

Dennis

User Info Menu

You are definitely a drum ho', Bish!
    You do have good taste, though.
    Sounds like a screaming good deal if they are in good shape, mang.

User Info Menu

All d*** good answers.

Very much appreciated.

I confess this is a long term research project since learning what to look for and listen to and basically understand drums and makers. I know I'm over budget but my learn and comprehend experience is insatiable at the moment.

Soon I will unload what I deem unnecessary for my future drumming projects and know I'm going to take a hard hit but this "journey" as mi amigo SWD puts it, is a fun one at the moment and I'm taking as many turns as I can.

DW other than all the custom manufacturers is the only brand I haven't experienced and in 35 years, I feel I'm due. I can't justify other than emotional indulgance and really and truly it's not fixing my conquestive attitude and hence, MO. This was the other deal I was looking at when I found the bubingas. And since that deal worked, I just thought one more time and this is a one of a kind opportunity.

But I'd like to kid myself into thinking that I'm about at the end of the road. Grab a good deal, experience the DW's. If I'm not happy they are returnable so it's not like I'm stuck. But as many kits as I see on stage, how can you really go wrong?

Maybe I got lucky on the bubingas cuz I was walking away from the new stuff knowing it was out of my price range. I'm the same way with DW. New is just too expensive. So in channeling through the used gear, my first experience has really panned out well. So I thought one more try and then I should be done. I can't think of another brand to stir my curiosity.

Then I can get down to learning how to play.

Lord knows the drums haven't brought me any talent.

Thanks again for the replies...and to Frank, the gut says go for it. gggrrrrrrrrr
    Signature here

User Info Menu

im not even gonna comment, you spoiled bratt.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Bish, I think you should get them. I hear them calling your name!

User Info Menu

Go Bish,Go... You are my hero.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    Bish, I think you should get them. I hear them calling your name!
    I hear them too! Its in the wind lol go for it dude sounds like a rocking deal.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

follow your heart
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Oh and I forgot to say....ever seen the movie Middle Aged Crazy??
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    Oh and I forgot to say....ever seen the movie Middle Aged Crazy??
    hmm...
    I am starting to wonder. Bish, how many corvettes do you own?

User Info Menu

No Corvettes. Just one Mustang GT.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Please don't think I'm crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    No Corvettes. Just one Mustang GT.
    And I thought I was middle-aged crazy!

On the DWs, have you looked at or played them? It may be a killer deal, but it sounds almost too good to be true. It may be a great early kit, but if it's in questionable shape, walk away from it. As little as I know about DWs, I know they hold their resale value very well. If it's a good kit, GO FOR IT!!! and enjoy your comparison tests!

Good luck, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

i say get it

i wonder what happened to that guy who was getting that $40,000 gold dw for his MLC

User Info Menu

If they sound good ,look good , you like them and want them,then they're worth it .

As far as being crazy.......lets starty a new thread .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    As far as being crazy.......lets starty a new thread .
    Why? Is there some doubt?
    Signature here