Thread: Help with the double stroke roll

User Info Menu

Default Help with the double stroke roll

Hey all,
    I've been working on the Buddy Rich book with my drum teacher. I'm trying to get the double stroke roll down. I know it goes RRLL but is the secound hit a bounce? Or a forced hit? I'm a little confused. I really want to get the double down but I always seem to mess up when I'm doing it.
    Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Fred

User Info Menu

Default Re: Help with the double stroke roll

Definitely an intentional, deliberate hit Fredr. Keep them slow in the beginning and play every single note. It will take you some time to gain speed but keep it clean throughout the learning process and you'll do just fine.

Larrysperf Guest

what he said

User Info Menu

If your teacher cant explain and demonstrate a clean double run away, very quickly.
    Get your singles high clean and fast, firstly , when you move to doubles keep that stick height and snap that second hit, use a pad , but if you dont have a pad use the snare with the strainer off to listen to the clean hits.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Rat, good point. The teacher should have that answer. I would think the teacher would explain it before letting you go home and get frustrated.

User Info Menu

A good tip for practicing doubles is to accentuate the second stroke each time.

rR lL rR lL

This will not only help with stick control but it will keep your doubles from sounding lopsided when you're first learning them.

User Info Menu

Cool!! Thanks Drummer!

User Info Menu

Great advice from all I would just like to ad one thing. The reason for this is so that all of your strokes sound even when you are really playing. The rebound or bounce stroke does not sound the same as a true down stroke. As you speed up you will learn to use the bounce to return the stick for the second stroke but it will still be a down stroke.
    My last teacher use to say " really pull both strokes out"

Oh and that is a great book!
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    A good tip for practicing doubles is to accentuate the second stroke each time.

rR lL rR lL

This will not only help with stick control but it will keep your doubles from sounding lopsided when you're first learning them.
    Thomas Lang does that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    Great advice from all I would just like to ad one thing. The reason for this is so that all of your strokes sound even when you are really playing. The rebound or bounce stroke does not sound the same as a true down stroke. As you speed up you will learn to use the bounce to return the stick for the second stroke but it will still be a down stroke.
    My last teacher use to say " really pull both strokes out"

Oh and that is a great book!
    I have not heard it explained like that before RM. Thanks for that!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

My doubles always sounded like RR ll RR ll.... or DATA data DATA data.....

Keep them even sounding and keep practicing with actual hits, not cheating with a drag or a bounce.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Learn open/close. If you're doing it right, it helps with speed, the almighty and stupidly important finger strength and they sound incredibly clean as well. Search for it on the tubes, look for Dave Weckl in particular (I'm too lazy to post a link ;o)
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

I work with the bounce. Many people in marching bands use the deliberate hit, but alot of people work off the bounce. I do because I mainly play Jazz, and it sounds smooth.

User Info Menu

The double bounce is a product of the Long Roll...one of the very first Rudiments to be taught. It is practiced slowly and deliberately and with an Accent on the 2nd stroke in each hand: l L rR lL rR etc. This is done to maintain uniformity with each hand. When the Long Roll is properly executed, it will flow, naturally, into a double bounce open roll and, ultimately, into a very tight Buzz roll. In rudimental contests, a performer was allowed
    one minute to execute the Long Roll from its very slowest to it very fastest and then one minute from fastest to slowest without stopping. Adhering to this format will always insure a correct "Bounce" stroke used for playing jazz.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg