Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is everyones day job? A little about me the newb!

User Info Menu

Default What is everyones day job? A little about me the newb!

Figured I would tell a bit about myself and get to know the rest of ya! Since I am new here and all!

I am 43 married one daughter! I have always loved Music! drums forever! When I was a kid my dad took me to a KISS concert.(Poor bastid ) He basically stayed in the hall crying about the volume but, I love him, he took me! The tickets were in my xmas stocking! and the show was in February at the Providence civic center!

When I saw Peter Chris's drums I was mesmerized and wanted so bad to be like that! and thats when it all started the rest is history! many sets of drums later I still love it!

I am a commercial/Recreational fisherman, own my own boat and work very hard from May till November1st or so, good money but many, many hours, However I love the water and Love to fish, I live right on Narragansett Bay here in Rhode Island! In my off time beside family, I love nothing more than putting headphones on and playing along to just about anything depending on the mood, its a great workout and a great stress releiver! I feel like I am 12 all over again when I play! its amazing! Whenever I have a gig in a local bar or whatever, I get very very exited.....cant wait for the friday of saturday night to come! Then its over so fast, like a blur...but man is it fun to watch people dancing to YOUR backbeat!

I never took lessons of any kind just self tought, but long enough to know a thing or two..My wife is a chemist! and has no desire to go with me on this mid-life crisis, but she certainly supports my "hobby"...some of us will always be kids at heart and the drums do that to me...I find myself in GC on a saturday afternoon behaving as badly as the kids! pounding on all the kits etc...Anyway I love it! There is nothing at all like the drums...its the best instrument there is! Rock ON!

Here are a couple of pics of me with my other passion! Couple of nice Striped Bass, that bring me $4.50 a pound! The one kneeling in the water is a picture that will be used in an upcoming book on Striper fishing.Notice my Lic. Plate....Before you ask, thats a nickname I got because I use live eels alot for Stripers , hence "eelman" I hate when a camara cathes you with your eyes closed! anyway, thats a bit about me!
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Default Re: What is everyones day job? A little about me the newb!

Wow.. cool day job bro! Nice to have you on board with all of us! Everyone here shares a common love for everything drums and drumming.. alot to be shared and learned on this forum. Alot of really knowledgeable guys and gals and a couple a resident pros.. Great to meet ya.. stick around! -Les
    * I am an unemployed machine electrician

User Info Menu

Welcome, Mr. Bill Nolan and thanks for the bio. There are so many of us here, I won't monopolize by say much about myself. Suffice it to say that I am The Great One...whenever my big band plays, someone always comes up to me and says...That was great, Man." I am from Upstate NY but now make my home in Iowa. You are fortunate in that you have two passions and it appears that you enjoy both to the max. Good for you! Don't ever be a stranger in here.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Oh, I forgot...I work with a local Atlas Van Lines agency as an Estimator for residential relocation.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by billnolan View Post
    Figured I would tell a bit about myself and get to know the rest of ya! Since I am new here and all!

I am 43 married one daughter! I have always loved Music! drums forever! When I was a kid my dad took me to a KISS concert.(Poor bastid ) He basically stayed in the hall crying about the volume but, I love him, he took me! The tickets were in my xmas stocking! and the show was in February at the Providence civic center!

When I saw Peter Chris's drums I was mesmerized and wanted so bad to be like that! and thats when it all started the rest is history! many sets of drums later I still love it!

I am a commercial/Recreational fisherman, own my own boat and work very hard from May till November1st or so, good money but many, many hours, However I love the water and Love to fish, I live right on Narragansett Bay here in Rhode Island! In my off time beside family, I love nothing more than putting headphones on and playing along to just about anything depending on the mood, its a great workout and a great stress releiver! I feel like I am 12 all over again when I play! its amazing! Whenever I have a gig in a local bar or whatever, I get very very exited.....cant wait for the friday of saturday night to come! Then its over so fast, like a blur...but man is it fun to watch people dancing to YOUR backbeat!

I never took lessons of any kind just self tought, but long enough to know a thing or two..My wife is a chemist! and has no desire to go with me on this mid-life crisis, but she certainly supports my "hobby"...some of us will always be kids at heart and the drums do that to me...I find myself in GC on a saturday afternoon behaving as badly as the kids! pounding on all the kits etc...Anyway I love it! There is nothing at all like the drums...its the best instrument there is! Rock ON!

Here are a couple of pics of me with my other passion! Couple of nice Striped Bass, that bring me $4.50 a pound! The one kneeling in the water is a picture that will be used in an upcoming book on Striper fishing.Notice my Lic. Plate....Before you ask, thats a nickname I got because I use live eels alot for Stripers , hence "eelman" I hate when a camara cathes you with your eyes closed! anyway, thats a bit about me!
    Now that is a good catch!!! I have fished for Salmon and what a time that was!
    Day job or jobs???
    I work with and around horses 2hrs a day, then go to my 9-5. Making custom dashboards for classic cars. Supposedly, I will be doing this out of my garage. The biz is being sold, and the new owners and I agreed to move the machines to my garage. I hope they have kept their word. If not, I will have to pursue the horse biz full time!!

User Info Menu

it's great to meet you Bill, and it is awesome you can enjoy your favorite passions. Not everyone can do that.

I'm going to be 38 in a little over a week, married, no kids yet, just a dog and
    3 cats we call our kids right now

i don't have a 'day' job persay LOL, i was just hired by Sam's Club as a night stocker.

I am very glad to have married a woman that doesn't want me giving up on music. I love her for that. Last night she really surprised me when she told me to go downstairs, and enjoy my drums I normally don't play when she is home, because she gets a headache.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by parttimedrummer View Post
    it's great to meet you Bill, and it is awesome you can enjoy your favorite passions. Not everyone can do that.

I'm going to be 38 in a little over a week, married, no kids yet, just a dog and
    3 cats we call our kids right now

i don't have a 'day' job persay LOL, i was just hired by Sam's Club as a night stocker.

I am very glad to have married a woman that doesn't want me giving up on music. I love her for that. Last night she really surprised me when she told me to go downstairs, and enjoy my drums I normally don't play when she is home, because she gets a headache.
    Now that is a Happy Life!!! You got your cake and can eat it too!!!!!

User Info Menu

Awesome catch!!!

What pays the mortgage...barely, I am an air traffic controller for the Air Force...for now.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    Now that is a Happy Life!!! You got your cake and can eat it too!!!!!
    you know it my man!

User Info Menu

Teacher.

• 1966 4-piece Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl
    • 2000 8-piece DW Collector's Grey Swirl
    • 2002 8-piece Pearl Masterworks GB Packer Gold
    • 2008 8-piece Tama B&B Lava Glass Glitter
    • Paiste Signature 12, 14, 14, 16, 16, 17, 18, 18, 20, 20, 22
    • Paiste Formula 602 14, 14, 16, 18, 20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    Teacher.
    Awesome! We need more teachers in this world!

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

i'm a computer dude, desktop support & networking at a university, but I'm not a geek! honest-check my album!

User Info Menu

I'm just a gigalo.

Hey Nolan, them thar is some awesome pics man! I like your license plate.

User Info Menu

+2 on the license plate!!

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

I'm a lawyer. I'm sure there's a joke out there comparing lawyers and eels.

I don't mind people making fun of my "career," as long as they like my drumming. I am a husband and father first, a drummer second and a lawyer a distant third.

User Info Menu

Bill, thanks for offering the lowdown on your life! All the best to you for being able to follow the passions of your life. That says something about you, and about your family!

I know this will come as a complete shock but I am a pastor. I'm a second career pastor, because I was a chiropractor for 17 years first. Just as I came to be a pastor later in life, I have also finally come to drumming later in life, although the desire has always been there. I'm 53 now, I have been drumming for a little over 1 1/2 years (and loving it), and I hope to be ordained in in the United Methodist Church in June of next year.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: What is everyones day job? A little about me the newb!

Quote Originally Posted by billnolan View Post
    ...I am a commercial/Recreational fisherman, own my own boat and work very hard from May till November1st or so, good money but many, many hours, However I love the water and Love to fish, I live right on Narragansett Bay here in Rhode Island! In my off time beside family, I love nothing more than putting headphones on and playing along to just about anything depending on the mood, its a great workout and a great stress releiver! I feel like I am 12 all over again when I play! its amazing! Whenever I have a gig in a local bar or whatever, I get very very exited.....cant wait for the friday of saturday night to come! Then its over so fast, like a blur...but man is it fun to watch people dancing to YOUR backbeat!

Bill, "eelman" rocks on your license plate, and it would be a rockin' member name, too!

Quote Originally Posted by parttimedrummer View Post
    i...I'm going to be 38 in a little over a week, married, no kids yet, just a dog and 3 cats we call our kids right now...

I am very glad to have married a woman that doesn't want me giving up on music. I love her for that. Last night she really surprised me when she told me to go downstairs, and enjoy my drums...I normally don't play when she is home, because she gets a headache.
    Cool, PTD! And welcome to the Walmart/Sam's Club family from your brother associate!

Quote Originally Posted by slingerland59 View Post
    ...I am a husband and father first, a drummer second and a lawyer a distant third.
    Now you're a dude who has his priorities straight!

Bill, I was in radio for more than 30 years--at the same St. Louis station!--until the owner died and the station was sold to new owners last year. These days, as I alluded to above, I am a people greeter at a Walmart near my home; I've been there since last February. Schedule's messed up my outside gigs, but as the father of two college-age daughters, there are times I feel like "the first national bank of bongobro!" As you can guess, I prefer hand drums to the kit, but I love playin' the drums in any form!

Welcome to Drumchat, eelman! (Can't help it, man, I dig that nickname!) Lookin' forward to more from you soon!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

BB, I thought it said "Reelman". LOL But I guess either would work.

User Info Menu

Bill,
    Great to meet you; and that's a great Pic of the fish. The lake I frequent (Lake Cumberland in Kentucky) Has some great striper fishing too. My wife has out fished me though........And she never forgets to tell me either
    Les,
    I'm an electrician too, hence my name. Sorry to hear you're out of work. This is more of a night job than day job. I work in the automotive industry right now......But who knows for how long.

User Info Menu

Good to meet everyone also! Quite a diverse crowd! Thats great!

I should have used eelman as the name but I use it on some fishing sites already so figured I would just use my real name! Bill Nolan.Again great to meet all of you! Its cool to see what else everyone does besides slam the drums!

Good to see a teacher here! We do need more of them! With an 11 year old , I know how important it is!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ohmthis View Post
    Bill,
    Great to meet you; and that's a great Pic of the fish. The lake I frequent (Lake Cumberland in Kentucky) Has some great striper fishing too. My wife has out fished me though........And she never forgets to tell me either
    Les,
    I'm an electrician too, hence my name. Sorry to hear you're out of work. This is more of a night job than day job. I work in the automotive industry right now......But who knows for how long.
    I fish Salt water but always wanted to catch a Striper in fresh water! Oh and I never take my wife! If I do I may as well leave my rod home! They always fish with a horseshoe!

User Info Menu

I work in the Music Industry and class myself as a semi pro drummer.
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Ok, so I am 46 years old. I have a beautiful understanding wife and 3 beautiful kids. I work for a Major Computer / Software company. I do what we call Sales Enablement. My main responsibility is to teach sales reps about the software they sell. Not from a technical perspective but from a business value perspective. I guess the coolest thing about my job is it takes me all over the world. I have been to some really great places and met some really great people. The one thing I have really figured out is that no matter where I go, people are people. We all want the same things for ourselves and our families. I consider myself very lucky to have a job that has given me so much more then a paycheck. Oh I do have to have that as well, after all, I do play the drums
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

I'm a skool teecher. . .
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by =^-..-^= View Post
    I'm a skool teecher. . .
    HAHA! I hope you aren't in charge of the spelling bee!!

Click for Gear Pics!