Thread: Anybody heard of Toad Percussion?

User Info Menu

Default Anybody heard of Toad Percussion?

I bought a Toad "conga" in 1978 and paid around $200 for it. It has a fiberglass shell and a set of three retracting legs for a stand. I can't find anything so far on the internet about these drums.

Anybody know anything about them?
    This is me and my TOAD drum - 1978. And my Dad on the same kind of a drum in 1927........it also looks like a Toad conga! Whoa - same shirt too man - lol

Kona
    Attached Images Attached Images

Larrysperf Guest

Default Re: Anybody heard of Toad Percussion?

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    I bought a Toad "conga" in 1978 and paid around $200 for it. It has a fiberglass shell and a set of three retracting legs for a stand. I can't find anything so far on the internet about these drums.

This is me and my TOAD drum - 1978. And my Dad on the same kind of a drum in 1927........it also looks like a Toad conga! Whoa - same shirt too man - lol

Kona
    wow same music stand & picture in background lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    wow same music stand & picture in background lol
    BUSTED - lol !
    I still use that cheap little stand too. Pretty cheesy little "old" photo touchup I must admit, just having some fun.
    But, really - I am trying to find some info on the Toad drum.

Kona

User Info Menu

I have not heard of them. But I have to say that no one would be able to tell that you and your dad are related...absolutley NO similarities at all!! :D
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by redheaddrummer03 View Post
    I have not heard of them. But I have to say that no one would be able to tell that you and your dad are related...absolutley NO similarities at all!! :D
    Ya - I know - he even passed down that shirt and hair style to me......

By the way - just checked you and the band out - great photos, good sound and beautiful kit man!
    Last edited by kona; 11-12-2008 at 03:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Ya - I know - he even passed down that shirt and hair style to me......
    Even looks like the same stache? And who says that we all turn into our parents eventually???
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Dude you looked just like ****ey Betts from the Allman Brothers Band!

As far as the Toad percussion goes, I've never heard of them. I've seen lots of fiberglass congas with the built in legs, but that drum looks much, much nicer than the ones I've seen. The hardware looks really nice.
    Last edited by Gretschhead; 11-12-2008 at 09:35 PM.

User Info Menu

are you serious the stared out the d i c k in d i c k e y?!?!? WTF!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    Sorry - don't get it. please explain.

User Info Menu

Hey Kona,

Never heard of Toad, but that sure does look like an old high end conga. Very similar to pics I've seen of 50's and 60's congas.....it would be nice to know who actually made it.

What Gretschead was saying is that the first four letters in the name ****ey Betts got starrred out....like being a bad word or something. See? It did it to me too. So I guess we can't say ****ie Smothers either, huh? Wow, that's pretty extreme censorship if you ask me.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Anybody heard of Toad Percussion?

Kona
    Send in the clones...there's gotta be clones...don't bother. they're here!

Look'n good in those vintage pictures--both of you!

P.S., dude: Thought you'd have a tat of a conga on your arm, man!

P.P.S.: Just tried googling "toad percussion" and your original post from DC is numero uno on the list!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Dude you looked just like ****ey Betts from the Allman Brothers Band!

As far as the Toad percussion goes, I've never heard of them. I've seen lots of fiberglass congas with the built in legs, but that drum looks much, much nicer than the ones I've seen. The hardware looks really nice.
    Yup - pretty close to me alright - just after I got outa jail - nother story.

User Info Menu

Got it

Larrysperf Guest

Asked at my drum store today they have never heard of them just toca drums sorry

User Info Menu

Here's a few photos of what the drum looks like today - the ones at the start of the post are me and the drum 30 years ago.
    Photos show Logo, drum logo side and handle side.

User Info Menu

Default Found Out All About Toad Congas!

Kona
    The Toad Congas were a Drums Only! brand (Ray Ayotte's Drums Only! was one of THE drum retail stores in Vancouver, BC in the 70's).The drums (Toad congas) were made in Taiwan. Ray bought several drums and had them custom labeled.

It all began with the Toad Stool, (drummer's throne) manufactured for Drums Only! by Walberg Auge, the people who made all the hardware for Gretsch in USA. That was before everyone went to Taiwan. The Toad drums were around anywhere from 1976 to 1979.

A nice little drum.......
    Last edited by kona; 01-24-2010 at 08:45 PM. Reason: added photo

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Anybody heard of Toad Percussion?

Okay...that explains everything...I thought I was startin' to lose my mind! Of course, you could purchase a quantity of drums at wholesale prices and label them with whatever name you wished...

hmmm...congas and bongos by "bongobro"...does have a beat to it!

Cheers backatcha, kona!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Okay...that explains everything...I thought I was startin' to lose my mind! Of course, you could purchase a quantity of drums at wholesale prices and label them with whatever name you wished...

hmmm...congas and bongos by "bongobro"...does have a beat to it!

Cheers backatcha, kona!
    Yes - it sounds like that was the start of the Taiwan drum imports. I'm happy to have one of the few Toad drums. It has a decent sound and I play it right alongside of my Valjes - tuned a little low for a conga-sized drum. I'm not going to be getting rid of it. To me it's a little part of that Drums Only! history before Ray (Ayotte) started building Ayotte drums in Vancouver BC.