Thread: Stick grip...

User Info Menu

Default Stick grip...

Yo DCer's...

I have a question for you. I play with matched grip, but being that I took such a long hiatis from drumming, I'm not sure if I'm doing it right.

I know that sounds dumb, but I'm literally tearing my hands up. I'll usually play for an hour or so to my iPod at night after the kids are tucked in, and I now have matching blisters on the first digit of my two index fingers, and the second digit of my middle fingers.

So is there a "proper" matched grip, or am I just holding 'em like a 'tard?
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Default Re: Stick grip...

I would think you've got too tight a grip on the sticks . Try to loosen up a bit and relax . See if anyone else offers some advise .

Just remember its not the bosses neck .

User Info Menu

check out dave weckles a natural evolution vid on you tube,
    he demonstrates a new/different approach to matched stick grip.[ it takes some practise and feels wierd at first but its way cool.
    if ya wanna just do it old school that is also fine, thumbs on the side and wrists over, use the other 3 fingers to control rebound etc etc.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oisX1n...eature=related

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Kevin...blistering will be common if you haven't been doing this on a regular basis. However, it should never be to the point that you are hurting yourself. Here's what to look for: 1. Make sure your arms are naturally bent at the elbows approx. at a right angle. 2. Grip the stick with one hand and find the fulcrum. 3. Be sure that the butt end of the stick is out from the back of your pal and not stuck in the middle of your palm. 4. Use just enough pressure with thumb and index finger to hold the stick so it won't drop. 5. Curl remaining finger tips to make contact with the stick. 6. Repeat process with the other hand. When done, look at your hand positions...the sticks should be held in just about the same position with each hand. When playing matched grip, there are 3 grips to work with: 1. Germanic...palms face down stick beads at 90 degree right angle on the snare drum ( good for heavy and power playing). 2. American...palms turned inward and stick beads at 45 degree ( this is most common position). 3. French: palms facing each other, thumbs up and sticks controlled totally by finger contact...no wrist motion at all (for speed drumming!). A good warm - up exercise is to practice single strokes going from one position to the other and the other and then back again. do this continually without stopping. When you feel any soreness/ache in your hands...stop and rest. Do not overdo your work outs and always, always gradually increase your practice time and tempo to increase strength, stamina and control. BTW, you should also do this with Traditional Grip. I do this exact regimen and can practice 2 - 3 hours at a time without ever feeling fatigued or sore. A 3 - 4 hour gig with my band is child's play.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    LOL!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. I watched the Weckl video that raty linked to and I'm gonna try that "open" grip he talked about. I play matched "american" grip and I'm all blistered up and my wrists hurt, too. Since I'm re-learning, it's the perfect chance to change grips.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post

Quote Originally Posted by redheaddrummer03 View Post
    LOL!
    My boss is pretty cool. After all, I just streamed about 40 minutes of Weckl on youtube on the company's time!
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    My boss is pretty cool. After all, I just streamed about 40 minutes of Weckl on youtube on the company's time!
    hehehe don't ever say where u work otherwise u will have drummers banging down your boss's door!!

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    hehehe don't ever say where u work otherwise u will have drummers banging down your boss's door!!
    heh-heh, I didn't say that I was allowed to do it, just that I did it and didn't get caught!
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    heh-heh, I didn't say that I was allowed to do it, just that I did it and didn't get caught!
    You are lucky though...the military's web browser blocks EVERYTHING!!! I cn't even check my Yahoo email at work!!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by redheaddrummer03 View Post
    You are lucky though...the military's web browser blocks EVERYTHING!!! I cn't even check my Yahoo email at work!!
    redhead .......so does my company..no myspace , no youtube , cant even look up lottery numbers .

cycledude....sounds like technique trouble , like Frank said , you shouldnt be hurting from this . Im with brother rat.I hold the sticks with the thumb and index finger using the other 3 for control , just enough to keep from dropping the sticks . No death grip .

User Info Menu

Yeah, I gotta get a grip!
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14