Thread: Dead Head

User Info Menu

Default Dead Head

It finally happened. After using Evans heads for over a year, I got a lemon. I put all new batters on my Yamaha kit and everyone except the 10" G2 clear tuned right up. The 10" had a thud instead for a nice clean tone at the tension rod just left of the Evans logo. I left it on the tom for a few days thinking that it would settle in, but it didn't. I had another spare G2 clear and put that on yesterday and everything is good again. That's right I keep spares for my spares, you never know. Anyway I'm not complaining, just expressing my experience. I did contact Evans and got an R/A number to ship it back, but it's really not worth doing. Until I pack it up get it to the post office, put postage on it, ship it, have them evaluate it and wait for who knows how long, I'll just buy another for the $12 and have it in my hands right away. If this happened to one of my base drum heads, that would probably be a different story.

Stuff happens,
    Dennis

User Info Menu

Default Re: Dead Head

Quote Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
    It finally happened. After using Evans heads for over a year, I got a lemon. I put all new batters on my Yamaha kit and everyone except the 10" G2 clear tuned right up. The 10" had a thud instead for a nice clean tone at the tension rod just left of the Evans logo. I left it on the tom for a few days thinking that it would settle in, but it didn't. I had another spare G2 clear and put that on yesterday and everything is good again. That's right I keep spares for my spares, you never know. Anyway I'm not complaining, just expressing my experience. I did contact Evans and got an R/A number to ship it back, but it's really not worth doing. Until I pack it up get it to the post office, put postage on it, ship it, have them evaluate it and wait for who knows how long, I'll just buy another for the $12 and have it in my hands right away. If this happened to one of my base drum heads, that would probably be a different story.

Stuff happens,
    Dennis
    That sucks man, I agree though, I always have spare heads around for that very reason. But I have been an Evans user for years now, and I have been lucky not to have that happen to me.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Hey Audio...thanks for posting this. A lot of guys/gals may not think about ever getting a "Bum" head. Fortunately, this isn't likely to happen to often and it's always a good idea to have spare heads on hand for such occasions. I recently replaced my coated pin stripes with coated Ambassador batters and Diplomat clear reso and I kept the pin stripes as back ups. They are 5 years old and still in pretty good shape...I just wanted a more open and musical tone.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Hey Audio...thanks for posting this. A lot of guys/gals may not think about ever getting a "Bum" head. Fortunately, this isn't likely to happen to often and it's always a good idea to have spare heads on hand for such occasions. I recently replaced my coated pin stripes with coated Ambassador batters and Diplomat clear reso and I kept the pin stripes as back ups. They are 5 years old and still in pretty good shape...I just wanted a more open and musical tone.
    That's a nice switch of head choice there! I used to use clear EC2s on everything, but last year I switched to Coated...just gives me a warmer attack you know?
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

Larrysperf Guest

Most times Evans will send you couple new heads & some swag for your trouble so send it

User Info Menu

Here's another little tip: When buying your heads, open them up and inspect them. Tap the center, check for cracks, and most importantly, make sure it's the correct head! The closest Guitar Crapper to me is about a half hour drive away, and it's frustrating when you get home and realize that you have to go back out there because there is a 12" coated head in the box labeled 14" clear ...