Thread: Reso head help

User Info Menu

Default Reso head help

As most of you know I have an XPK kit that is at least 10 years old...It still has the stock resos on it, I put ec2 coated heads on the top, sounds good but I am wondering if it will sound even better if I toss on some new reso heads...Just trying to justify spending the money on new bottoms..Do you guys think it will make a dramatic diiference? enough to buy them or is it minimal at best.I have 10 12 and 14 inch toms and like that classic rock deeper sound but also want some projection, so far I am happy with the ec2 as they seem to give me that..so with this info, what resos do you recomend if any at all?
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Reso head help

Resos are very often neglected and shouldn't be. A good rule of thumb is to use one size smaller in thickness than the batter head you select. I recently changed the heads on my toms: Coated Remo Ambassador (10 mil single ply) batter and Clear Diplomat (7 mil single ply) Reso. In your regard, the Evans EC 2 Coated will be countered nicely with the Evans clear Reso...they actually have a specific reso head. In both cases here, you will get projection.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

I really think new reso heads would make a markable improvement on the sound of your kit. Ten years is a very long time for the stock reso heads that came with your kit. If you like the deeper thunderous sounds from your toms, new reso heads will permit you to tune the heads a little looser, since your old heads are probably a little stretched out by now. I usually change my reso heads about every six months, except for my bases, but they never get torqued.

I just got done loosening both the batters and resos on my two of my kits and they all tuned right up again without a problem. The resos on my Bubinga kit are now about six months old, where as the resos on my Yamaha kit are only a month old. The resos on my Pearl kit are about nine months old, but they really don't get played very often.

I use Evans G1 clears for the resos and G2 clears for the batters on my toms. I might try some G2 coated for the batters on the Yamaha just to see what difference they make with the maple shells.

Good luck,
    Dennis

User Info Menu

I think they are neccessary, if you are using EC2s, thry the Evans resos as mentioned above, or try some Evans G1s...they will work well too!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

I use Remo clear diplomats on my kit, they sound really good on my kit.

User Info Menu

ambassador reso's = g1 reso = 10 mm single ply will give you a slightly warmer note then you could go warmer with different variations of those such as coated or ebony etc.

By the way BTD, I am going to get my new heads today, coated ambo over hazy ambo for snare. Unfortunately I cannot try out the hazy diplomat as they are a special order item and most of our drum stores here dont actually stock them. that goes for the hazy 200 also.

i looked into the fibreskin head but i feel that it might not be as warm and bright/open as i would like. definately something to look into in the future though
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

Larrysperf Guest

I use EC2 & ambassedors for reso

User Info Menu

STUPID ME! I got to GC to get the new reso heads and instead walk out with $60 dollars worth of more "toys" I dont need..I hate that, resos will have to wait! How stupid was that, I cant disipline myself when in comes to drum stuff and I am a grown adult???

Lets see, cowbell on sale, just had to have it!
    Stick holder..pretty-had to have it(even though I have one)
    Pearl ash wood block! It was calling my name!

Problem is you have to walk past all those goodies to get to the back counter and get the heads! Thats it from now on I will get the important stuff at MF..

User Info Menu

LOL, thats cool bill, and yeah I agree it does require alot of discipline. hopefully you get the resos the next time around
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

ok, i have to ask for myself then, what resos sound good with evans hydrualics?
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Well after alot or reading etc..I went with the evans "Black" resos from MF. They claim that this reso gives lots of projection for live stuff, so because I dont mic my toms all that much, I went with these...anyone use these before? they are thin ply and all black..Should look great with my deep blue drums!