Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Behind Blue Eyed by The Who(New tom Vid, Full Set)

User Info Menu

Default Behind Blue Eyed by The Who(New tom Vid, Full Set)

Ok guys,

here is a new video, with my complete set-up, I am really happy with everything, and think my drums recorded very nicely, enjoy and let me know what you think PLEASE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTURJdGzBKM
    FILL YOUR LIFE WITH INSPIRATION TO INSPIRE

DW Collectors - Paragon - Vic Firth -

User Info Menu

Default Re: Behind Blue Eyed by The Who(New tom Vid, Full Set)

Nice one Kev !
    www.myspace.com/gozrock
    www.myspace.com/video/rid/110115140
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    22"x20"
    10"x7"
    12"x8"
    14"x12"
    16"x14"
    Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer 14"x6.5

Sabian AAX Cymbals

In Support of Leighs Record attempt
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Thanks man.

User Info Menu

Great job!!!! I love this song, The Who are one my favorites.
    Rock on!
    -Fred

User Info Menu

I thought it sounded really good. The only suggestion I could make is to take it easy in some parts, you were working way too hard, other than that it's two thumbs up bro.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

fantastic sound/mix you have there.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Man, that's good stuff there brother! I would love to do stuff like that, but unfortunatley my lead guitarist and I went halves on the band's soundboard and it stays out at Band HQ.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Hey Kevin...As with your previous videos, your playing is alway crisp, clean, precise and with authority. The only thought that came to mind was that this particular song is more of a Ballad than the others you've posted here. Ballads are great and make excellent study pieces with regards to tempo and dynamics. It's not always easy playing at slower tempos and can be very deceiving. You handle this very well! Dynamically, however, I couldn't tell if there was much of a difference. The beginning and end seem to ask for a softer touch with the middle section opening up to more power. This might be what 32nd heartbeat meant. BTW, when trying out new players to the Big band, I always have them play Ballads...that way I can judge how well they respond to tempo changes and chord changes for solo playing.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Hey Kevin...As with your previous videos, your playing is alway crisp, clean, precise and with authority. The only thought that came to mind was that this particular song is more of a Ballad than the others you've posted here. Ballads are great and make excellent study pieces with regards to tempo and dynamics. It's not always easy playing at slower tempos and can be very deceiving. You handle this very well! Dynamically, however, I couldn't tell if there was much of a difference. The beginning and end seem to ask for a softer touch with the middle section opening up to more power. This might be what 32nd heartbeat meant. BTW, when trying out new players to the Big band, I always have them play Ballads...that way I can judge how well they respond to tempo changes and chord changes for solo playing.
    Thanks man, and you are right dynamically I kinda failed, I just basically played thru the whole song, and failed to give the song dynamics as it needed. I was just having fun with this one anyway.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by redheaddrummer03 View Post
    Man, that's good stuff there brother! I would love to do stuff like that, but unfortunatley my lead guitarist and I went halves on the band's soundboard and it stays out at Band HQ.
    Thanks man.

I would love to see a video of you jammin out man. Infact I wish more drummers on here would post video of them playing, I love watching them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DWdrumr View Post
    Thanks man.

I would love to see a video of you jammin out man. Infact I wish more drummers on here would post video of them playing, I love watching them.
    I wish I had some. But the only video I have is bad audio quality with the whole band...for now anyways:(
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Thanks man, and you are right dynamically I kinda failed, I just basically played thru the whole song, and failed to give the song dynamics as it needed. I was just having fun with this one anyway.
    Don't say that! I love your take on The Who's song. The original is so good because it's without Keith Moon for ages, and then just explodes into him. It makes for a huge dynamic shift.
    Instead, you set it up with some beautiful cymbal flourishes, come in at EXACTLY the right time for the chorus, with some Moony style fills and keep it up. It's dynamic enough - expected, perhaps, but still brilliant.
    The only problems I do have is that you maintain the same state of dynamic throughout. You don't set up the middle eight, and maintain the same speed; it calls for more power and aggression as others suggested. Maybe laying back on some bits before hand would be more dynamic? I don't know. It's still amazingly good though. Keep it up!
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

ETF...I'm not sure what you are saying. In one sentence, you say it's dynamic enough and in the next you complain that it's the same dynamic level. And, at the last, you seem to suggest that he lay back on the dynamics. I'm confused. However, we do agree that Kevin is an outstanding player.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog View Post
    Don't say that! I love your take on The Who's song. The original is so good because it's without Keith Moon for ages, and then just explodes into him. It makes for a huge dynamic shift.
    Instead, you set it up with some beautiful cymbal flourishes, come in at EXACTLY the right time for the chorus, with some Moony style fills and keep it up. It's dynamic enough - expected, perhaps, but still brilliant.
    The only problems I do have is that you maintain the same state of dynamic throughout. You don't set up the middle eight, and maintain the same speed; it calls for more power and aggression as others suggested. Maybe laying back on some bits before hand would be more dynamic? I don't know. It's still amazingly good though. Keep it up!
    Thanks man, I really appreciate it man. I was just playing, what I wanted to play, my voice, my take on the song.

User Info Menu

Artistic expression is best left to the artist/drummer. play what you feel , man.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    Artistic expression is best left to the artist/drummer. play what you feel , man.
    Yea, and thats what I did.

User Info Menu

And you did it very nice!

User Info Menu

And you did it very nice!
    Thanks man.

I have to be honest, I have actually never heard the original drum part on this song, I DL'd the drumless track and liked the song, and decided to play along to it, this was my second attempt at the song, the only version I have ever heard with a full band, was Limp Bizkit's version, and I actually loved there version.

Next video is going to be TOOL - Parabola, this will take a little time, but I almost have it good enough to make a video.

ROCK ON DRUM CHATTER"S

Larrysperf Guest

Well I think you made it your own. I like your style as we are kind of the same style. I would love to hear you play some rush snakes & arrows. Just keep doing what you are doing as it is great Im looking into some equipment so I can post some videos

User Info Menu

ETF...I'm not sure what you are saying. In one sentence, you say it's dynamic enough and in the next you complain that it's the same dynamic level. And, at the last, you seem to suggest that he lay back on the dynamics. I'm confused. However, we do agree that Kevin is an outstanding player.
    Haha, yeah, I didn't make myself seem very clear.
    I thought Kevin set it up in a way that made it dynamic when the drums came in, which was really effective. But the slow, half time groove is maintained throughout the song, which really hampers it in the middle eight, where it should just explode with raw energy.
    I wasn't saying lay back on the dynamics either, I thought that not playing in some bits, just adding flourishes on the cymbals instead, would have been more effective and have worked better for the song.
    So, there is a dynamic entrance, but it's constant presence throughout the song kind of takes away from the overall feel of the song...that's what I was trying to get across. I don't know. I just felt more variation would have been better, but then there's the danger (and I can't believe I'm saying this about a Who song) of overplaying.
    But Kevin did an outstanding job of bringing a more refined approach towards Keith's drumming. Awesome.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Great stuff Kevin. Love your vids man. You seem to have a fluidity that I would give my right arm for. Keep up the great work man.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Another great vid, Kev.

It can be a tough decision as a musician whether or not to do a note for note cover or to make it your own. NFN is boring in most cases, but on a song as wildly popular as that you may get resistance from "purists". Your take is your take, and personaly, I liked it.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgkikker View Post
    Great stuff Kevin. Love your vids man. You seem to have a fluidity that I would give my right arm for. Keep up the great work man.
    Thanks man.

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    Another great vid, Kev.

It can be a tough decision as a musician whether or not to do a note for note cover or to make it your own. NFN is boring in most cases, but on a song as wildly popular as that you may get resistance from "purists". Your take is your take, and personaly, I liked it.
    I decided to play it my way, you can't grow as a musician unless you take chances right . Thanks man.

User Info Menu

you can't grow as a musician unless you take chances right . Thanks man.
    Right!
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

DW that was awesome, loved your improv as well.