Thread: How do you know when a member leaves?

User Info Menu

Default How do you know when a member leaves?

At the end of bgary's thread in the general drum chat forum, drum chick said that we managed to chase him/her off the site. How does she know that? Do disgruntled members send the administrators a nasty message? Or was she just inferring that bgary left because he/she didn't respond to the later posts.

User Info Menu

Default Re: How do you know when a member leaves?

Quote Originally Posted by slingerland59 View Post
    At the end of bgary's thread in the general drum chat forum, drum chick said that we managed to chase him/her off the site. How does she know that? Do disgruntled members send the administrators a nasty message? Or was she just inferring that bgary left because he/she didn't respond to the later posts.
    No, but DC does stand at the exit with a big rubber truncheon. You actually have to fight your way out, unless you have a note from your mother excusing you from the Drum Chat premises.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris View Post
    No, but DC does stand at the exit with a big rubber truncheon. You actually have to fight your way out, unless you have a note from your mother excusing you from the Drum Chat premises.
    ROTFL!!

But seriously slingerland59 I think she said it tongue in cheek....but had a sense that he would not be back. Either that or he was booted....I have not idea, but DC is a Mod and she would know that.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

He had a note but I beat him with the truncheon anyway........

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    I don't even wanna know what the truncheon looks like.

By the way, DC, with you blowing all those bubbles we're going to have to start calling you Breathless. (Hey, it's better than calling you Bubbles, right?)
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies.
    I saw a hint somewhere that a member treated SticksWizzard badly the other day and that a whole thread was removed as a result. I think it's awesome that there are moderators/administrators who actually enforce rules of civility. That makes drum chat better than real life!

User Info Menu

I caught wind today that is was an accident by su_admin. I think he meant to just delete the offending posts and deleted the thread instead. We wouldn't normally delete a whole thread because of one person's negative comments.

Otherwise, yes Sling, we try our best to enforce positivity and respect here. I think it helps keep Drum Chat a very classy forum. I think that's why it's grown so much too. It's refreshing to not have to deal with all the negativity, flaming and so on that you find in other forums.

User Info Menu

Slingerland, because this is an internet forum, we can't look at each other and see when someone is having a bad day. If they come in here in a sensitive mood, something might set them off, and they blame it on the forum. Not much we can do about it. Others just want to come in here and vent hostility, and that is not tolerated, so they are asked politely to take it down a notch. If they don't comply, they get a more stern warning. Not listening to that warning has consequences. Most of the time, though, everything runs very smoothly, because the people who like to hang out here like the civility. If we cross the line with someone, we try to apologize, and do better next time.

Good place this Drum Chat!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Hehe! I knew I could count on you.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: How do you know when a member leaves?

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    I don't even wanna know what the truncheon looks like.
    And considering DC's come a lo-o-ong way as a drummer, you'll never know what hit ya!

P.S.: DC, you never fail to surprise me with your avs!

For my part, I come here to relax and chat with my brother and sister drummers. There have been a couple of occasions that I've been a bit more sarcastic than I should--or made a comment that was out of line--and one embarrassing occasion when I beat up on myself over a major decision (and let some of it spill into the shoutbox). Sometimes drummer and the other moderators caught me when I tripped up. Sometimes I sensed it myself. Either way, when I realized what I did wrong, I immediately worked to correct it with the person or persons affected. The support I received from those who were affected not only smoothed the ruffled feathers, but also deepened our relationships.

But as PB says, you can't predict what will--or won't--upset anybody. My rule of thumb is if you can't say it in front of your mother, don't post it in a forum! As a former radio colleague of mine (now deceased) used to say, "You can disagree without being disagreeable."

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Hehe! I knew I could count on you.
    At your service my dear

User Info Menu

At your service my dear
    Tell me, was the note signed "bgary's mother"?

User Info Menu

Tell me, was the note signed "bgary's mother"?
    Yes it was, I bashed her with the truncheon as well.........

User Info Menu

LOL!! That's funny! Ever wonder what normal people think when they stumble across these posts?

User Info Menu

LOL!! That's funny! Ever wonder what normal people think when they stumble across these posts?
    I would wonder what they think if I thought normal people were anywhere to be found in here

User Info Menu

I would wonder what they think if I thought normal people were anywhere to be found in here
    Really? So you and I aren't chasing the sane ones off. They just stay clear of the whole deal from the get go?

User Info Menu

Really? So you and I aren't chasing the sane ones off. They just stay clear of the whole deal from the get go?
    Well, not really.......... Me, them, truncheon.... You get the picture?

User Info Menu

Well, not really.......... Me, them, truncheon.... You get the picture?

User Info Menu

I think I may have to change my avatar to something "truncheony"

User Info Menu

Holy crap, that smiley is hilarious!

Oh, by the way, if you find smileys getting spanked in a thread dedicated to you...you're probably a member who's left.

User Info Menu

Noooooooooooooo! Then I have to think of a new nickname for you. And I'm just starting to like Breathless!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: How do you know when a member leaves?

You can be a normal person--or you can be a musician (I included you, RD!)--you cannot be both... But then again, we may just be the most normal people we know!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=bongobro;130403]. My rule of thumb is if you can't say it in front of your mother, don't post it in a forum!

you obviously dont know my mother!!

this drum chat place is fantastic, treat everyone as you would like to be treated yourself and if a sarcy/fun comment goes a bit deeper than you wanted it to , be a man, fess up and apologize.
    top marks to all the regular members and mods.

sry u lost the thread swd.

Official cowbell hater.

Larrysperf Guest

You forgot about her big wip ouch that thing hurts lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    You forgot about her big wip ouch that thing hurts lol
    Well.........nope, not touching that one.