Thread: Quick, Effective Bass drum tune

User Info Menu

Default Quick, Effective Bass drum tune

I did some experimentation yesterday and came up with an interesting procedure.

I was cleaning up after the hurricane came through the other night (Bishnado) and had to put heads back on my Pearl Masters bass drum.

In order to make it fast since I wasn't worried about precise tuning I put the head on, then the hoop and finger started the lugs and then used the battery drill to get them to almost snugged. Next I finger tightened all the lugs. Then I leaned on the hoop with a little bit of pressure at each lug and finger tightened them again. I went all the way around the drum, flipped it over and repeated the process. At no time did I use a drum key.

After completing both heads I stood it up and attached a bass pedal. Heck, it sounded great without any fine tuning.

So if you are in a hurry, this seems to be a quick and easy way to set the bass drum. Good luck and I hope it works for you, should you attempt this procedure.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: Quick, Effective Bass drum tune

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I did some experimentation yesterday and came up with an interesting procedure.

I was cleaning up after the hurricane came through the other night (Bishnado) and had to put heads back on my Pearl Masters bass drum.

In order to make it fast since I wasn't worried about precise tuning I put the head on, then the hoop and finger started the lugs and then used the battery drill to get them to almost snugged. Next I finger tightened all the lugs. Then I leaned on the hoop with a little bit of pressure at each lug and finger tightened them again. I went all the way around the drum, flipped it over and repeated the process. At no time did I use a drum key.

After completing both heads I stood it up and attached a bass pedal. Heck, it sounded great without any fine tuning.

So if you are in a hurry, this seems to be a quick and easy way to set the bass drum. Good luck and I hope it works for you, should you attempt this procedure.
    Yeah well, we are talking about a Pearl MASTERS kick here though!!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

Larrysperf Guest

Default Re: Quick, Effective Bass drum tune

Yea but was it a Dewalt lol sorry couldnt resist