Thread: Tenors!

User Info Menu

Default Tenors!

hey, i want to make tenors next year for my highschool drumline. and i was wondering how you practice tenor without actually having any. how would you suggest practicing sweeps and playing music on the 5 drums?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tenors!

What's up man. I played tenors all 4 years in highschool. And I can tell you that during the summer time, I wanted to make the tenor line BAD as a freshmen, so I got some of the highschool's music and set up books on my bed and practiced my butt off!!!! But whatever works for you, good luck with it!!!!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

I'm still currently marching tenors in my high school marching band. My band director, and drum line instructor, allow me to take mine home whenever I want. So your band director might allow you to take a set home. They might have a set they will allow you to take home that isn't in the best condition and they don't use to march anymore, but enough to get some practice on. I would just ask them. But if you know they wont let you, then I just suggest you do what Red suggested. There are also tenor practice pads that you could invest in. Before I do any practice on tenors though, I make sure I can play the rhythms on snare. Just some suggestions. Good luck!

User Info Menu

^^ He summed it up the best.

The best tenor practice pad is a set of tenors, nothing else feels like it, but I've heard that Heavy hitter pads W/ laminates feel VERY close. If you have the 100$ to spare, thats the way to go it looks like it.

User Info Menu

thanx! is there any good books or exercises you guys suggest?

User Info Menu

I don't personally own it, (I learned out of Modern Multi Tenor) But I've heard nothing but good reviews about "Quad Logic" by Bill Bachman. Its loaded with excersizes from entry level to advanced.

User Info Menu

Our former drumline's tenor player had bought himself one of those Tenor Practice Pads, which you could ask your Director to give you a book so you could select one out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scottie07 View Post
    thanx! is there any good books or exercises you guys suggest?
    I too like Quad Logic... even though I don't own it. Personally I do this "easy" warm-up. I go from my high tom to my low tom doing quarter notes, then I go back up, then I go down and back up with eighth notes, then I go down and back up with triplets, then I go down and back up with 16th notes, then I go down and back up with diddles. I leave the popper tom (or the 5th tom) out for this warm-up.

I also own the Green-beats book from the Cavaliers. If there is a DCI drum line, or another drum line, they might have their excerpts and other music for sale.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scottie07 View Post
    hey, i want to make tenors next year for my highschool drumline. and i was wondering how you practice tenor without actually having any. how would you suggest practicing sweeps and playing music on the 5 drums?
    I just think its just easier to understand sticking with quints better than snare. For example: instead of paradiddle, double paradiddle, it would go two singles on this drum, doubles on the next, singles on the last four down, doubles on the high drum.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by concrete Building View Post
    I just think its just easier to understand sticking with quints better than snare. For example: instead of paradiddle, double paradiddle, it would go two singles on this drum, doubles on the next, singles on the last four down, doubles on the high drum.
    Also, use pilows or pads. It works for me.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."