Thread: please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Default please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hi everyone
    ive been playing drums 4 a month now and ive been getting problams from the police and the neighbors n my parents because of the noise can u please tell wht to do about it?

User Info Menu

Default Re: please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I though my pedal question was......Oh well..

Assuming this is a real question, I would first say you have to be kidding right? I am sure you know what to do..The first is to play at RESONABLE hours...If you cannot do that then go get some Sound Offs for your drums and cymbals and you can play them all night and day and no one will hear it..

User Info Menu

You really don't give us much information on your situation. Do you live in an apartment with other perople living in close proximity? What time of the day do you play? Have you tried reasoning with the people your offending?

Dennis

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by billnolan View Post
    And I though my pedal question was......Oh well..

Assuming this is a real question, I would first say you have to be kidding right? I am sure you know what to do..The first is to play at RESONABLE hours...If you cannot do that then go get some Sound Offs for your drums and cymbals and you can play them all night and day and no one will hear it..
    I agree with bill , you got to remember that youre not the only one living in your neighborhood . Keep it respectful of others , some day youre gonna want them to come to your gig and listen.

Try some mutes for the set as bill suggested. Good luck and welcome to the forum .

User Info Menu

Unless you live in a cardboard box, just closing the windows and practicing at reasonable hours should be fine. Just because someone calls the cops and they come out to ask you to quiet down, doesn't mean you are breaking any laws. If you live in a retirement community, like Drum Chick (HAHAHAH!), then you might be over the permitted sound level. Otherwise it is very unlikely that you are creating enough noise to be cited.

My sons play at reasonable hours (after 8:00 AM and never after 8:00 PM) with a full drum kit and an electric guitar pumed through a 120W full stack and no-one has ever called the cops. If they did, I would politley advise the officers that we're within our legal rights and wish them a pleasant day.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Moturson! You've already gotten excellent advise, unless there is something here that we don't know. Let us know how things go.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Get some silencers. Any good music or drum shop will sell them and i dont think a set of them is too expensive, just make sure you get the right sizes. Alternatively, when i have to play quietly i just put like T shirts and stuff over the heads to dampen them. You dont get the same sound but sometimes its necessary.

User Info Menu

Sound offs!!!! Maybe you should get a rehearsal hall. Look up some soundproofing threads. Maybe see if you can meet the neighbors and come to an agreement.

User Info Menu

70% of the complaints are probably cause you play the same beat over and over

but yeah you cant go wrong with the sound off pads

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=itchie;130859]70% of the complaints are probably cause you play the same beat over and over

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

not sure on your bylaws or the area u live in, but usually if the drums are acoustic there is nothing the law can do between certain hours, be a rebel keep banging away. my old neighbour was a lawyer and a cigar smoking opera listening geek and he made many futile attempts to silence me.
    he did have the police cut my suprise birthday band bash short at 4.30 in the afternoon though, oh he paid for that I can tell ya, i moved the yams outside to practise and tune up, plus the kiddies love banging along with the pots and pans!!! and I aint kidding.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    ...my old neighbour was a lawyer and a cigar smoking opera listening geek...
    Hey, rat, what's wrong with an occasional cigar? (and I'm not just blowin' smoke, man!)

Back to the question: Moturson, timing is everything (and I don't mean keepin' a steady beat in this context). I live in a residential neighborhood where the houses are fairly close together. My neighbor on one side is cool about my drumming; I have a vacant lot on the other side; and I don't play at ear-splitting volume. (I've lost enough of my hearing as it is.)

When I practice the drums (set or hand), my neighbors are usually at work or they're far enough away that they don't hear anything. I don't play my drums late at night, and they don't have any Sound Offs or anything else to muffle them.

Now if I played them at deafening levels with the windows open (a moot point with me since we don't open the windows) for extended periods, I'd be hassled by the cops, and I could see why.

It's a matter of common courtesy, bro'. Too many drummers (and other musicians) get a bad rap for over-loud practicing and playing). You might try those Sound Offs, but try practicing when you're less likely to irritate your neighbors...

Good luck, man...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Try to be respectful of your neighbors and family, sound offs are a great suggestion to help. Most of what I would tell you has already been said. One additional thing I would advise is call your local town hall, find out exactly what the noise ordinance is for your community. They will tell you the exact hours, that any noise ordinance will be in effect. The earlier you can practice in the afternoon the better. Most people get home from work between 5:00 PM and 6:00 PM if you practice as soon as you get home from school, you can get a lot of your practice in before the majority of the neighbors get home.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

It's hell being a drummer...
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    If that's hell, I don't want to leave.

Dennis

User Info Menu

I have always said that drummers get no respect, and this is just another place where that would apply. Also I don't know how loud you are playing but you could always try playing softer. Other than that just make sure your not breaking any laws and tell your neighbors where they can stick their complaints!
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Get good, my neighbours complained about 3 times when I started playing. Mainly because I had my window open, and it was a little too loud for them.
    The last time they came round I just opened the door and said "I'm getting pretty good, yeah?!" They laughed and agreed with me. They haven't complained since (over a year and a half).
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    HOLA COMO ESTAS Mi AMIGO FIACOVAZ FRANK CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) within Great wisdom AWARE-NESS (KNOWLEDGE) ITS HELL NOT TO BE A DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) or (CATRESS)
    GRACIAS amigo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
    If that's hell, I don't want to leave.

Dennis
    HOLA como estas mi amigo AUDIOTECH CRETIVE ARTISTIC OPEN MINDED DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) within alot of WISDOM AWARE-NESS KNOWLEDGE **THATS Great ***FORSURE***Gracias

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TURTLINATOR View Post
    I have always said that drummers get no respect, and this is just another place where that would apply. Also I don't know how loud you are playing but you could always try playing softer. Other than that just make sure your not breaking any laws and tell your neighbors where they can stick their complaints!
    HOLA como estas Mi amigo TURTLINATOR*CREATIVE ARTISTIC OPEN MINDED DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) within alot of aware-ness Wisdom KNOWLEDGE**THIS IS EXCELLENTE and GAINING the DISCIPLINE & Within
    VERY DISTINCT STRUCTURED CONTROLED TECHNIQUES will only ENHANCE
    THE ARTIST DRUMMER OWN UNIQUE DISTINCT ARTISTRY within all their JOURNEYS *** THE ANCIENT SPIRITUAL ANCIENT ART OF SLF-NESS like a whisper of feather SOLF TOUCH ** GRACIAS

User Info Menu

GET A DRUM PAD it makes it almost impossible to hear

User Info Menu

Put an old sheet over the entire set and cymbals (cut some holes in strategic places like over the hihat stand and use tape to get definition around the snare and toms) and stuff the bass drum with an old blanket. You'll still get a decent tone and you can whack away, practising all your beats and patterns for hours!

Use a good practice pad to practice snare rudiments because you won't get the required bounce from the drums.

Rock on!

P.S. We haven't heard from you since the original post. I hope those earlier responses weren't too harsh. Take it all in stride. There's no such thing as a stupid question in this forum...believe me.