Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roto-toms

User Info Menu

Default Roto-toms

Hey, i wondered who has had any experience with them. I want to add stuff to my kit which i could use in the future (i.e - with a different set up/kit) I saw some for £40 which i thought looked a good deal but im a bit dubious. How useful to people find them? Do they just take regular tom heads?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Roto-toms

MS, I love mine still. I recently changed the heads (6", 8" & 10") - I use Remo Pinstripe clears - and the roto's opened up and sound as great as ever. I got mine used, and I think of them like I do the cowbell, and the tamborine - fun to have, but I don't play 'em on every beat!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I love mine. I don't use them very often, about 4 songs per show, but they are great for those tunes. I bought mine used for $25.00, CHEAP! You can see them in my avatar pic.

User Info Menu

You found roto-toms for $25???? Wow, let me know if you see any other ones out there for that kind of money. I would buy them in a heartbeat.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by firedog View Post
    I bought mine used for $25.00, CHEAP! You can see them in my avatar pic.
    Man, I got mine for $50, and I thought I got a good deal! My hat's off to you Firedog!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Good deal but I would have saved my $ for some LP Timp Toms. I've had rotos but I really want some of those babies!

User Info Menu

I've had my Remo Roto toms 8, 10 & 12 for about 30 years or so and I like them . I recently added a 6". I was using pinstripes but I switched to sound control (black dot) clear heads - just wanted something different for a while - I like em.

Roto toms are pretty cool because of the ease of tuning up and down. Once you get an "ear" for it it's a lot of fun. I would say they're a nice addition to any kit.

User Info Menu

Cool, what people say about them sounds awesome. But my next question is where to get them so cheap. Where did people buy theirs from? Ebay? Id want to get them used as cheap as possible!

User Info Menu

I got mine on eBay. They were hanging out in a guy's basement, so there were some rust issues, but I got them cleaned up, and they're just fine.

User Info Menu

I always fancied getting some octobons, real cool
    www.myspace.com/gozrock
    www.myspace.com/video/rid/110115140
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    22"x20"
    10"x7"
    12"x8"
    14"x12"
    16"x14"
    Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer 14"x6.5

Sabian AAX Cymbals

In Support of Leighs Record attempt
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Can you just mount them on a normal cymbal stand? Ive seen a few but without stands...

User Info Menu

MS, mine came with the stand, but it's really just a straight stand. The bar that holds the Roto Toms should have an adapter that fits onto the stand. Of course, the stand needs to be pretty substantial if it's an older set of Roto's because the bar that holds the Toms is steel. I don't know what the bar is made of on the newer sets. Also, the more Toms, the more weight.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious Stan View Post
    Can you just mount them on a normal cymbal stand? Ive seen a few but without stands...
    You can buy the bar that the Roto Toms fit to separately on-line, they come in different lengths - see photo below. basically, they're a rail system that the bolt at the bottom of the tom slides into. I'd advise buying a good stand - the Remo Roto Tom stand which comes with the adapter plate and attachment that is at the top of the stand - see photo (flate black plate) costs about $100 new from Remo. The stand is sturdy. I use one stand for all four of my roto toms and it works great. You just have to me careful and make sure the "drum-key-type" screw that tightens everything down is snug and everything is nicely balanced. It's worked fine for me so far, but I don't 'gig" with it - just play at home.

Kona
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ironfist View Post
    I always fancied getting some octobons, real cool
    Is that those long,slim bongo looking things that a few drumms use, such as Scott Rockenfeld from Queensrhyche?

User Info Menu

Yup - Alex Van Halen had em for a while, too.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

he did - pretty sure it was around the time of the 1984 album in errrr 1984!!!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

yeah they are PTD , stewart copeland uses them, integral part of the police sound, and I think they look great as well
    www.myspace.com/gozrock
    www.myspace.com/video/rid/110115140
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    22"x20"
    10"x7"
    12"x8"
    14"x12"
    16"x14"
    Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer 14"x6.5

Sabian AAX Cymbals

In Support of Leighs Record attempt
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

i'm new to the forum, but i'll add my 2c. I had a set mounted above my rack toms. I played quads in school, so I set them up like that..i.e..8", 6", 10", so it was a natural feel running down from those to my toms..

User Info Menu

Cool Tscornett, and welcome to Drum Chat!

User Info Menu

I had some in the early eighties and they were fun for a while but they don't project well and I didn't have decent Mic's then so the novelty didn't last for me.

User Info Menu

I put the black center dot Remo's back on mine when I swapped heads. I think they project better than a two-ply head can.

They are most definitelly an accent accessory until you drum for Dream Theatre.
    Signature here

Larrysperf Guest

My Roto ruter plumber has some sorry couldnt resist I always wanted to get some

User Info Menu

I had a set 6/8/10 and liked the sound. Much cheaper than a set of octabons but they also look a lot cheaper.

User Info Menu

I have a set of them in my bro's basemement. I got them for $99 at a local music store back in 19.. (trails off......)
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Oh, and PB... I love what you said about them being like a cowbell.

A great accent but not used constantly.

That sums it up beautifully.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14