Thread: Clean and smooth lugs

User Info Menu

Default Clean and smooth lugs

On the weekend, i bought new heads for my birch snare. ambassador coated and hazy ambassador for reso. I also got some 3in1 oil, paint thinners, bees wax,wire brush and old toothbrush. I pulled all the lugs off and throw off as well. used the old toothbrush with some thinners to scrub down all the screws and used a thin wire brush to clean out the insided thread of the lugs. I pulled the throw off apart and gave that the same clean. I rubbed in some bees wax on the bearing edges of the snare which filled in any hairline splits that may of been in the edges and that also gave the edges a smooth finish. I put the heads on once the bees wax was dry, used the 3in1 oil to lube up the lugs and tuned the snare up.

Well it sounds absolutely beautiful. Nice high crack with beautiful warm/deep resonance and just enough controlled ring with body! the snare is the best it has ever sounded.

Thanks to STICKS and Rat for their professional advice on how to clean the lugs and what equipment to use. You guys rocks the house
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Default Re: Clean and smooth lugs

Amazing what some dedicated cleaning can do for a drum. I do pretty much the same to my kit once a year. I have had the same drums for 44 years and they appear to be in great shape and sound even better. BTW, I changed the heads on my toms recently...coated Ambassador for batter and clear Diplomat for reso. They sounded terrific yesterday on stage with the Big Band.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Good job, guys. Those are acts of love and kindness for your best friends.

Best Regards!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I treat my acoustic Yams better than the missus!!! shhhh, dont tell her. [ well Ive been with them longer than her and THEY never let me down] Glad you got everything smooth and clean live. how much crud came out of the inner lug threads??

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Hey Rat! Thanks. Actually, there was not much build up in the lugs but they did look alot more shiny and clean. Alot smoother now though which is great and they tune up alot easier too.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

I was thinking about it, and it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to go through the process with a kit right out of the box. It would clean up any manufacturing residue, and probably would allow easier tuning. Thanks for this thread!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Awesome man!! But that's too much work...it's like what I do with my cars, when it's time for new tires, just trade it in for a new one!!! LOL

just kidding...GOOD JOB!!!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

That's exactly what I did with my Yamaha Custom Absolute Maple kit when I got it home. The heads came off and while they were off I used Vasoline to lube the threads on the Nouveau tension rods. I replaced the Remo heads with Evans and the lubrication to the rods worked wonders. They're still very tight, but now very smooth.

When I bought my Starclassic Bubinga kit this past May, the drums were already equipped with Evans heads and the tension rods just felt like butter from the factory. They're overdue for a head change, so when I change heads, they'll get the Vasoline treatment also.

Dennis

User Info Menu

Glad to see that someone else uses Vasoline on the tension rods. I've learned to use it sparingly as the tension rods will collect dust and dirt. I've used fine oil before but I didn't care for the dripping. My drums are 44 years old; in excellent condition. A little time, effort and lots of TLC will extend the "Life" of our drums.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80 View Post
    On the weekend, i bought new heads for my birch snare. ambassador coated and hazy ambassador for reso. I also got some 3in1 oil, paint thinners, bees wax,wire brush and old toothbrush. I pulled all the lugs off and throw off as well. used the old toothbrush with some thinners to scrub down all the screws and used a thin wire brush to clean out the insided thread of the lugs. I pulled the throw off apart and gave that the same clean. I rubbed in some bees wax on the bearing edges of the snare which filled in any hairline splits that may of been in the edges and that also gave the edges a smooth finish. I put the heads on once the bees wax was dry, used the 3in1 oil to lube up the lugs and tuned the snare up.

Well it sounds absolutely beautiful. Nice high crack with beautiful warm/deep resonance and just enough controlled ring with body! the snare is the best it has ever sounded.

Thanks to STICKS and Rat for their professional advice on how to clean the lugs and what equipment to use. You guys rocks the house
    HOLA como estas Mi amigo LIVEWIRE CREATIVE ARTISTIC OPEN MINDED DRUMMER ARTIST within Great aware-ness WISDOM (KNOWLEDGE)
    from the LAND of ADVENTURE & ENCHANTMENT *DOWN UNDER**
    THAT mi amigo is FANTASTIC *EXCELLENTE' *YOUR TAMBORES LOVE you
    BEYOND **GRACIAS

User Info Menu

When I lube the tension rods, I spray some WD40 onto some aluminum foil and then I dip the end of each rod before I insert it into the lug. No dripping.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    When I lube the tension rods, I spray some WD40 onto some aluminum foil and then I dip the end of each rod before I insert it into the lug. No dripping.
    Good idea there PB..but keep in mind that WD-40 is nothing more than a mild solvent with a lite lubricant that will evaporate and pretty much be non existant in no time. I too am from the school of maintenance prevents breakdowns. Here's what I do. When I get a new kit and before I install the heads of my choice, and at head change time, I do the normal inspection of the edges etc and go on to take a stubby philips head screwdriver and snug up lug mounting screws and snug whatever other shiny metal bits are hanging from the shell. (floor tom leg brackets, bass drum tom mount reciever,..etc.) This is a great time to inspect the straightness of the drums' tension rods and discard bent ones( I keep spares of different lengths on hand for this purpose) *tension rods rarely will get bent so this is just something that I personally have adopted as part of my regular maint. checklist.
    Next I will take time to have a dedicated jar of petroleum jelly to dip just the tip of each tension rod into before reinstalling them into the lugs. I have found that petroleum jelly lasts longer and if used in moderate amounts stays pretty clean (no mess)
    *every 4 to 6 months depending on the amount of gigging I do with the kit, I will remove heads and lugs and all hardware from the drum shell and apply a protective polish to the entire shell surface. I use Power Chord spray polish to degunk and shine up my lacquer finish shells and the chrome pieces. It is residue free and works like magic on shiny chrome as well! This stuff is the best I have ever used, but unfortunately has been taken off the market..company went under. If you can find this stuff at your local music store, I recommend buying it all!
    OOPs..hehe I went kinda long here..hehe I guess my whole point is kinda echoing what Bish had previously posted! -Les

User Info Menu

I use Vaseline. I out some on a paper plate and roll the first few threads of the tension rod in it. I have been doing this for over 25 years. I still swear by it.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Hmmmm....??

User Info Menu

Think I'm going to give all that cleaning a go on my Tama's. Just got some G2's to replace the Black Dot's I had on them (which I was very disappointed in). Since the heads will be off I think I'll try all those things, plus cleaning the hoops, etc...