Default Fresh cow skins

Here goes some of my babies again
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Default Re: Fresh cow skins

Very SWEET!!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Fresh cow skins

Dude, I'm shortin' out my keyboard droolin' over those congas...and that Gon Bops??? MAN!!!

Excellent work, and I bet they're all gonna sound killer when you start slappin' them around!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Beautiful congas Luv4congas! Did you say that you put on new heads? I hardly noticed because as BB said, I was busy drooling!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    Here goes some of my babies again
    HOLA como estas Mi amigo LUV4CONGAS CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (GATO )MANOS TAMBORES (GATO) thats EXCELLENTE'
    AMIGO ' for all new amazing ROJO CALIENTE JOURNEYS within all your new
    dimensions of your own unique disticnt ARTISTRY *gracias

User Info Menu

Nice tuck jobs Luv4! Looks like some quality skin too, where do you buy your skin from? I love those LP Originals with the traditional rims, man they look pertty!!

User Info Menu

Beautiful!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I will echo Gretschhead by saying that is a fine job of tucking!

You have a beautiful collection of drums there man.

Do you ever put all your drums together and play them in a tuned setting like Samuel Torres here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QjGgc1UkkU

That would sound so good!

I especially like the red LP's - great tucking job around those traditional rims!

Kona

User Info Menu

Thanks guys for all the complements, Bongobro, Pastor Bob I really appreciate the drool….You guys are awesome, they do sound good and it took a lot of courage to remove a perfectly good hand picked head off a Gio but it does sound sweet. The Lp originals are a conga and tumba, I just found the matching quinto on C.L. for $150. Gretschhead I get my skins from a dude in San Diego C.A. Robert Felcher, found him on Ebay. He’s the cat who sell really sweet restored congas for top $..... Kona, I’m definitely no Samuel Torres, that’s pretty awesome. The best I can do is three after that I’m a hack.....Thanks Bassist learning Drums, Stickwizzard Dradon and Bish...you dudes are cool

User Info Menu

Thanks guys for all the complements, Bongobro, Pastor Bob I really appreciate the drool….You guys are awesome, they do sound good and it took a lot of courage to remove a perfectly good hand picked head off a Gio but it does sound sweet. The Lp originals are a conga and tumba, I just found the matching quinto on C.L. for $150. Gretschhead I get my skins from a dude in San Diego C.A. Robert Felcher, found him on Ebay. He’s the cat who sell really sweet restored congas for top $..... Kona, I’m definitely no Samuel Torres, that’s pretty awesome. The best I can do is three after that I’m a hack.....Thanks Bassist learning Drums, Stickwizzard Dradon and Bish...you dudes are cool
    Hola como estas mi amigo LUV4CONGAS *CREATIVE ARTISTIC OPEN MINDED DRUMMER AN MANOS TAMBORES ARTIST (GATO) THATS VERY COOL GRACIS amigo

User Info Menu

I get my skins from a dude in San Diego C.A. Robert Felcher, found him on Ebay. He’s the cat who sell really sweet restored congas for top $.....
    I always like to know where I can look for conga skins - I'll check him out.

Too late for this round of tucking for me - I just put an order in at Artdrum two days ago for five conga flats (skins). I'm not happy with my first attempt at the tucking thing - although my drums sound spectacular - I notice the little flaws.

Again - Wow! All of your drums look beautiful. I would just love to give em a slap or two! It looks like you really have the "tucking" art down.

Nice work!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    I always like to know where I can look for conga skins - I'll check him out.

Too late for this round of tucking for me - I just put an order in at Artdrum two days ago for five conga flats (skins). I'm not happy with my first attempt at the tucking thing - although my drums sound spectacular - I notice the little flaws.

Again - Wow! All of your drums look beautiful. I would just love to give em a slap or two! It looks like you really have the "tucking" art down.

Nice work!
    Thanks Kona,
    What kind of flat skins did you order? are they for your Valjis? (I didn't spell that right did I)....The Lp originals in that pic were still wet, they came out the best. I learned how to tuck from that Youtube's Lp how to vid only difference is I use an old gift card to prevent me from cutting the side of the head. Your drums are a work of art! L4C

User Info Menu

Thanks Kona,
    What kind of flat skins did you order? are they for your Valjis? (I didn't spell that right did I)....The Lp originals in that pic were still wet, they came out the best. I learned how to tuck from that Youtube's Lp how to vid only difference is I use an old gift card to prevent me from cutting the side of the head. Your drums are a work of art! L4C
    Yes - for the record - Valje.
    I ordered LP flats - the ones with the black LP logo in the centre (Canadian for center - lol). It was just over $200 US for 5 flats. That will allow me to tuck my quinto, conga, tumba, supertumba and my Toad conga - might as well do all of them - again. That LP conga tucking instructional video (2 parts - three if you count the cuica tuck) looks great. Is that the one you used? When I did mine the first time I put the rim and head over my drum and wrastled with the "tucking" that way. It looks so much easier to lay the flat on a table and start that way. Live and learn - sometimes.....

Thanks for the nice comment on my drums.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Fresh cow skins

Will look up that vid and live and learn myself, kona...what did you do regarding the flesh hoop? Did you use the ones from the old heads or did you fabricate a new one? Reason I'm asking is I seem to have misplaced the bum head from the CP quinto...

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Bro, I sent you a PM about flesh hoops. If anyone else is in need of flesh hoops, send me a PM and I'll give you a link to a great site, I can't post it in the forum though, it will be taken down.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Will look up that vid and live and learn myself, kona...what did you do regarding the flesh hoop? Did you use the ones from the old heads or did you fabricate a new one? Reason I'm asking is I seem to have misplaced the bum head from the CP quinto...

I used the original Valje flesh hoops that came with my drums (1977).

I found getting flesh hoops is not easy sometimes. Iv'e looking for a Tambourine flesh hoop for over a year now and can't fine anything.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    Bro, I sent you a PM about flesh hoops. If anyone else is in need of flesh hoops, send me a PM and I'll give you a link to a great site, I can't post it in the forum though, it will be taken down.
    I just read your post after I answered Bongbro.

Yes - please PM me

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    Yes - for the record - Valje.
    I ordered LP flats - the ones with the black LP logo in the centre (Canadian for center - lol). It was just over $200 US for 5 flats. That will allow me to tuck my quinto, conga, tumba, supertumba and my Toad conga - might as well do all of them - again. That LP conga tucking instructional video (2 parts - three if you count the cuica tuck) looks great. Is that the one you used? When I did mine the first time I put the rim and head over my drum and wrastled with the "tucking" that way. It looks so much easier to lay the flat on a table and start that way. Live and learn - sometimes.....

Thanks for the nice comment on my drums.
    Yes, thats the video. I do mine on a table the same way but I try to leave the skin a little loose so I wont have to fight it. With cow skin I ajust the lugs slow, over a two week period. To fast and the edges turns white at the bend. I wait a month until I fully wrench down on the quinto super tight.
    L4C

User Info Menu

Yes, thats the video. I do mine on a table the same way but I try to leave the skin a little loose so I wont have to fight it. With cow skin I ajust the lugs slow, over a two week period. To fast and the edges turns white at the bend. I wait a month until I fully wrench down on the quinto super tight.
    L4C
    Good advice about the drying time. I started to tune mine before they dried completely and they slipped a bit. I also caused some "bruising" on a couple of heads because I had to pull so hard and fight to get the head in place. It didn't seem to affect the sound at all but I have these little white bruise markes on some of the heads - a tell-tail sign that I was fighting way too hard with these babies!

Please send me more details on the flesh hoops if you don't mind. Email or PM.

Thanks,

Kona

User Info Menu

Just out of curiosity, Does anyone know if any of the Lp pre mounted heads (Hand picked, Matador, Aspire) will fit on my red Lp originals with the traditional rims?
    Thanks,
    L4C

User Info Menu

L4C most of LPs professional range congas are all the same size, the only difference is the rims. There should be a Hand Picked head that specifies the traditional rim. They may be more difficult to find now due to the fact that LP is using only comfort curve style rims now. You may have to go to LP directly.

User Info Menu

Just out of curiosity, Does anyone know if any of the Lp pre mounted heads (Hand picked, Matador, Aspire) will fit on my red Lp originals with the traditional rims?
    Thanks,
    L4C
    I got an answer from my drum retailer - I'll PM you.

User Info Menu

Thanks Kona,
    I was playing the originals on the weekend along with alot of newer Lp congas. The originals with that old school warm earthy tone was getting drowned out by the new buffalo skinned LPs

User Info Menu

Thanks Kona,
    I was playing the originals on the weekend along with alot of newer Lp congas. The originals with that old school warm earthy tone was getting drowned out by the new buffalo skinned LPs
    I think my original Valje skins from 32 years ago - that I only changed last year! - had buffalo skins on them (actually I think my supertumba had a T-Rex skin on it - lol - it was really thickkkk). Did you get my PM and copied email from Ar***** about your question?

Kona

User Info Menu

Wow, I didn't even know about the PM thing, I had messages from back in May I didn't even know about LOL......Thanks Kona, I'll give them a call with the sizes. Your super tumba is a 14"? With the thick skin does it sound good? I think they used to use Steer but it could be T rex.
    L4C