Thread: Hardware suggestions for a vintage Slingerland light blue pearl kit?

User Info Menu

Default Hardware suggestions for a vintage Slingerland light blue pearl kit?

I need new hardware for my 70 Slingerland light blue pearl kit and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

I like the light cymbal stands, but i need to make sure they can hold up to constant touring. The stands I have now sometimes slip and the cymbal height drops. The nut for the legs sometimes works its way loose too and the stands topple over.

In a "Cascio Interstate Music" catalog I own has hardware that I am thinking about getting. UNION Brand Double Braced Light straight cymbal stands. And they are only $15 a piece. Anyone know anything about these stands? The company is for "beginner to intermediate" drummers. Should these stands hold up? They look good. Not too heavy and don't have those big bulky or wide legs. Perhaps I could get those and also get those clamps to prevent slipping. What are those things called that tighten on the stand with a key to prevent slippage? And how would I know the size I need?

As for a Kick Pedal I like the Ludwig Speed King. They pedal I own now has a leather strap that sometimes breaks without notice. Speed Kings are pretty durable, right? My old one was stolen.

I think I will just try to find a Pearl stand on EBay for 50 bucks or less.

Any suggestions on what to get? Where to look?
    Thanks for any help!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hardware suggestions for a vintage Slingerland light blue pearl kit?

Hey Keith, Welcome to Drum Chat!!

Interstate happens to be my local drum shop, so I'm over there quite a bit. Union is their house brand, and they're not bad. They also have drum bags by Union that are pretty decent. If budget is a serious issue, you'll probably be okay with those.

However, if you're gigging quite a bit, I would personally go with something a little bit more heavy duty. I'm transporting gear constantly, and most of the higher end double braced hardware is really heavy. However, with my Yamahas I use the 700 series hardware. It's single braced, but might be the sturdiest single braced hardware I've ever seen.

That would be my recommendation - the 700 series hi hat stand is actually my favorite out of the 3 that I own too.

As far as the pedal, I don't think you can go wrong with a Speed King. Durable? I know guys who have used them for 30 years and they still work fine.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hardware suggestions for a vintage Slingerland light blue pearl kit?

Check the hardware section of this forum for unlimited ideas. Personally I'd invest in a good boom cymbal stand. You'll need it for better cymbal placement and they now sell boom attachment arms which are cheap ways of mounting two cymbals on one stand.

As for the speed king, ya, I'm a fan and they are around on the used market. There's another thread in the forum where a cat found a dozen in a box at their school. Maybe you can score one cheap!

User Info Menu

Go with the DW9000 light flat based, they ought to hold up for you, they are not cheap though!

User Info Menu

Forget the stands and get a rack.

No more tripod frustrations!
    Signature here